Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2013, 12:36 AM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evesadam View Post
So what. They haven't harmed you in any way. Calm down.
What are you talking about? Who hasn't harmed me, and where did I say anyone had?

Old 11-26-2013, 12:38 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,979,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evesadam View Post
Yeah, and they ain't listenin.'

Therefore, you're wasting your time and angering yourself by calling others idiots. Which is even more idiotic than the behavior you object to.

So is this guy also engaging in "idiotic behavior"? I mean, I only pause from my writing to call people idiots...he does it all the time as a part of his writing, even though the people he is targeting don't care:

Richard Dawkins - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-26-2013, 12:40 AM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
So is this guy also engaging in "idiotic behavior"? I mean, I only pause from my writing to call people idiots...he does it all the time as a part of his writing, even though the people he is targeting don't care:

Richard Dawkins - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
We get it...You do not like Dawkins or atheists...Do you think anyone cares?

Old 11-26-2013, 01:20 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,653,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
So then, instead, you are putting forth that sanspeur cannot "disbelieve" in psychics and Bigfoot. Do I have that right?
No...sans can only disbelieve in whatever I say I believe...to keep the snarky exchange up to par.

If my belief ever changes...I insist that whatever it changes to...sans must argue the opposite position. He doesn't really have to adopt it...but debate it as though he has.
If anyone asks why...tell them it is, "Because I said so"...which most everyone knows is the ultimate truth of the Universe. I case you didn't know that yourself...I'm cluing you in on it now.
See how simple that is?

Old 11-26-2013, 10:37 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Good on them for finding a way to experience fellowship, but I can't say you'd find me in attendance. Large groups of people with a "cause" turn me off.

Old 11-26-2013, 11:19 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,324,939 times
Quote:
It's a bunch of people touching strangers and singing stupid songs on a Sunday morning, i.e., everything I hate about church. It may not be "a church", but it is everything wrong with churches in nothing they do right.
Admittedly, what they do at this so-called "church" wouldn't float my boat, either. However, there is nothing unusual about this gathering - nothing all that different from any other social club out there. The only reason why anyone is making such an issue over this is because the members are atheists.

So what?

That's like making an issue of a quilting club because all the members enjoy making quilts.

Even calling this a "church" attaches to it a train of baggage 3,000 years long, thus the entire gathering becomes a debate in semantics.

Old 11-26-2013, 11:46 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,547,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Even Atheists have a soul. They actually have the same needs as Christians. I am told Dawkins the Pope of Atheism enjoys Christmas Carols and a well done Ave María.
No, you believe they have a soul. Atheists do not believe in souls. They believe in science and common sense.

Old 11-26-2013, 11:52 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,547,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
Don't let facts get in the way of a good witch hunt. There's irrational beliefs to rationalize by making up stuff about people different than us!

Old 11-26-2013, 12:16 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,324,939 times
Quote:
The definition you provide for atheist clearly states Atheism is a belief system.
Those who claim that atheism is a "belief" system have been duped by the bias and arrogance of religion.

There really is no more reason to believe in God than there is to believe in leprachauns and unicorns. In any other context, "belief" wouldn't enter into it. In fact, there wouldn't even be a word for non-belief in God just as there is no word for the non-belief of fairies. The reason for this is because 99.99% of us KNOW that fairies don't exist. We don't have to call it a "belief."

But because religion is so megalithic and massive, because it is so embedded into our culture, because it considers itself immune to skepticism and criticism, we must first invent a word for those who don't believe in gods (atheist) and then we must say they only BELIEVE no gods exist rather than they KNOW.

IF we were to invent a word tomorrow for fairy non-believers, odds are very good that the definition wouldn't talk about "belief" because the non-existence of fairies is common knowledge.

Therefore, calling atheism a "belief system" is merely pandering and genuflecting to religion. After all, we don't call KNOWING fairies don't exist a "belief system" ... unless you think they do exist.

Old 11-26-2013, 01:45 PM

63,816 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Those who claim that atheism is a "belief" system have been duped by the bias and arrogance of religion.
There really is no more reason to believe in God than there is to believe in leprachauns and unicorns. In any other context, "belief" wouldn't enter into it. In fact, there wouldn't even be a word for non-belief in God just as there is no word for the non-belief of fairies. The reason for this is because 99.99% of us KNOW that fairies don't exist. We don't have to call it a "belief."
But because religion is so megalithic and massive, because it is so embedded into our culture, because it considers itself immune to skepticism and criticism, we must first invent a word for those who don't believe in gods (atheist) and then we must say they only BELIEVE no gods exist rather than they KNOW.
IF we were to invent a word tomorrow for fairy non-believers, odds are very good that the definition wouldn't talk about "belief" because the non-existence of fairies is common knowledge.
Therefore, calling atheism a "belief system" is merely pandering and genuflecting to religion. After all, we don't call KNOWING fairies don't exist a "belief system" ... unless you think they do exist.
I have read and sympathize with your "concerns" about religious encroachment into secular matters. I acknowledge your legitimate concerns about them agree with you about their danger to human freedom. But what you and the other atheists fail to acknowledge when you use the puerile fairies, leprechauns and unicorns nonsense . . . is that there is a fundamental difference between those things for which there is no evidence whatsoever . . . and God or what you call our reality. The difference is that our reality/God exists but we do not know what it is or why it is despite our speculations about how it might have come to exist in its current manifestation. So with God we ARE dealing with something known to exist but ineffable and largely inscrutable in its essentials. That is NOT the same thing as fairies, et al.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality