Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 10:34 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,928,903 times

Advertisements

So this is what religion does. In sane!

http://www.nationalpost.com/m/wp/blo...on-circumcised

Old 11-27-2013, 11:27 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,199,290 times
It certainly seems wrong to this non-Jew.

My SO is a Jew who decided to not circumcise her sons. But she lives in Canada, not Israel and is mostly non-observant.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:49 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,201,874 times
What is wrong with this? This society has determined they want to do that. You certainly have no grounds to criticize them.

Old 11-27-2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
What is wrong with this? This society has determined they want to do that. You certainly have no grounds to criticize them.
So you are OK with female circumcision? Moderator cut: off topic

Last edited by june 7th; 11-27-2013 at 02:41 PM.. Reason: Has begun to take thread off topic.

Old 11-27-2013, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Moderator cut: Orphaned
Male circumcision is not something I have a problem with. If a parent wants to circumcise their kid, so be it. I don't understand what grounds you criticize it according to.
Quote:

My worldview says do no harm unto others.
By what grounds can you possibly enforce your worldview on others?
Quote:

Moderator cut: Orphaned/off topic
Moderator cut: off topic

But I am curious what tells you that you can enforce your morals.

Last edited by june 7th; 11-27-2013 at 02:51 PM..

Old 11-27-2013, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Male circumcision is not something I have a problem with. If a parent wants to circumcise their kid, so be it. I don't understand what grounds you criticize it according to.
Why is make genial mutilation army better than female? You still didn't answer the point that in one case your OK with practices because a society endorses them but not in the other case. What moral guidance are you using?

Quote:
I can't. Either can you.

Quote:
Me, neither. I certainly don't live by a book that tells me to do that. Nor one that tells me snakes can talk, that unicorns or dragons exist.
You preach from that book all the time.

Quote:
But I am curious what tells you that you can enforce your morals.
See above

Old 11-27-2013, 02:01 PM

199 posts, read 591,910 times
Genital mutilation is objectionable. It's especially objectionable when performed on an infant.

This is a common sense perspective. Try using it sometime.

Quote:

Moderator cut: Orphaned

Last edited by june 7th; 11-27-2013 at 02:52 PM..

Old 11-27-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Why is make genial mutilation army better than female? You still didn't answer the point that in one case your OK with practices because a society endorses them but not in the other case. What moral guidance are you using?
If you can't see the difference between removing a foreskin and mutilating a girl's genitals, I'm not sure I can help you.

Quote:

I can't. Either can you.
I believe that God imprinted a sense of right and wrong on my heart. That's why I call something wrong. You also believe many things to be wrong, but without a higher authority other than your own opinion, you have no standard by which to judge something--other than your own opinion. It may be wrong, but the best you can do is say you don't like it.

Moderator cut: Sarcastic response to other member
Quote:

You preach from that book all the time.
Moderator cut: off topic
Quote:

See above
I'm still waiting for you to give me a reason why anything you say in regards to morals should be taken above anyone else's view.

Last edited by june 7th; 11-27-2013 at 02:55 PM..

Old 11-27-2013, 06:05 PM

Quote:
If you can't see the difference between removing a foreskin and mutilating a girl's genitals, I'm not sure I can help you.
In other words it is not OK to mutilate a female's genitals but OK to mutilate a male's. I'm not sure what else you can call it.
Quote:
I believe that God imprinted a sense of right and wrong on my heart. That's why I call something wrong. You also believe many things to be wrong, but without a higher authority other than your own opinion, you have no standard by which to judge something--other than your own opinion. It may be wrong, but the best you can do is say you don't like it.
Having an imaginary being who you may think you have a relationship with influence your morals make as much sense as a kid being good because Santa is checking his list twice to see who is naughty or nice.

Quote:
I'm still waiting for you to give me a reason why anything you say in regards to morals should be taken above anyone else's view.
Your changing the question. Do I need to copy and paste the one I answered or will you check yourself?

Old 11-27-2013, 08:19 PM

400 posts, read 602,134 times
Quote:
As can male circumcision. For various reasons.

Here are only two.

Herpes Strikes Two More NYC Babies After Ritual Circumcisions - ABC News
These are cases of children circumcised with the metzitzah b'peh (mbp) method. This practice is far removed from hospital circumcision. Read about it here: Metzitzah b'peh - Metapedia.
Quote:
The mohel brings the baby’s organ into his mouth immediately after the excision of the foreskin and sucks blood from it vigorously. This action lowers the internal pressure in the tissues of the organ, in the blood vessels of the head of the organ and in the exposed ends of the arterioles that have just been cut. Thus, the difference between the pressure in the blood vessels in the base of the organ and the pressure in the blood vessels at its tip is increased. This requirement has deep religious significance as well as medical benefits.
—Mordechai Halperin, Metzitzah B’peh Controversy: The View from Israel, Jewish Action
Even at that, in one New York case the following came out:
Quote:
In response to inquiries about whether anyone in the family had herpes at the time of the baby’s illness, Mr. R. recalled that his wife had told health workers she herself had suffered a bout of mouth sores prior to the baby’s hospitalization.

Had health workers pursued this important clue, they would have learned that Mrs. R. herself believed, after learning how a herpes infection is transmitted, that she herself had unknowingly infected her baby due to her own cold sores.

As she told her lawyer, Mr. Simins, she had a habit of biting her index finger; when applying ointment to the circumcision cut on her baby and changing the gauze dressing, that is the finger she invariably used. She suspected that the germs were carried from her saliva to her baby via her index finger as she was never told to wash her hands before changing the dressing—and never did.

This vital roadmap to the baby’s illness was ignored by the hospital and the DOH in their knee-jerk attempt to link the infant’s infection with the mohel.Yated Newspaper - New Evidence Shatters Myth About Metzitzah B'peh
It's obvious that the metzitzah b'peh (mbp) method of circumcision is not what the majority of parents who have their infants circumcised are doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality