Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 10:08 PM

505 posts, read 575,002 times

Advertisements

then it would stand to reason that man ALONE wrote it, correct?
He couldn't have had "help" from Satan because if God doesn't exist then Satan, a created being/angel doesn't exist either. [I assume this is the position of atheists/agnostics.].
So why would man, being a selfish, self-serving creature give credit for all life and creating the whole universe to an imaginary being like God? Isn't that rather obtuse?
If there's no evidence of God why would man credit God with creation and life?
This must by necessity, extend to ALL religions, races, societies, nations, civilizations etc... not just Christianity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2013, 10:29 PM

1,385 posts, read 2,454,556 times
Quote:
He couldn't have had "help" from Satan because if God doesn't exist then Satan, a created being/angel doesn't exist either. [I assume this is the position of atheists/agnostics.
Right.
Quote:
So why would man, being a selfish, self-serving creature give credit for all life and creating the whole universe to an imaginary being like God? Isn't that rather obtuse?
Simply put, to control gullible people.
Quote:
This must by necessity, extend to ALL religions, races, societies, nations, civilizations etc... not just Christianity.
Right again! You have it all figured out!

Old 12-21-2013, 10:52 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,065,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joint heir with jesus View Post
No, you say it yourself in the next sentence, ANYTHING could have inspired various parts, or all, or the editing of it
Quote:
He couldn't have had "help" from Satan because if God doesn't exist then Satan, a created being/angel doesn't exist either. (I assume this is the position of atheists/agnostics.).
enemies of humanity could still exist even if good gods don't.
Quote:
Why does man serve the King or President? To suit themselves. As poncy schemers make imaginary money to trick others, so could the gods have been. Many possibilities.
Quote:
Indeed.

Man can't credit himself, it's too obvious. In the old days they thought existence existed. In Norse, the first god was frozen in the ice of existence, explaining his inaction up to the point of action. In Hellen, the Void is inexplicable and out of it came Primordials like Time and Heaven. In Kemetic, the Creator of the gods is Mysterious and created things from the lifeless chaos substance, creating Itself when It created Time.

The Jews thought up a fascist monotheism in heaven and gave themselves Credit for having been chosen by Him.

List of creation myths - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Types of Creation myths: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creation_myth

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 12-21-2013 at 11:13 PM..

Old 12-22-2013, 05:45 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,382,736 times
Quote:
Correct.

Old 12-22-2013, 05:49 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
If there is no evidence of God why would man give credit to God?
That seems to be your main question, I think.

All you need is one Divine, mind altering experience where the Doors of Perception
are opened and knowledge is poured into your brain...insights, revelations galore...
Look at what Buddha started!
No evidence needed.His words inspire, ring true, people practice what he said...and
Bingo, happier life....doing and practicing, to me, is the proof or evidence.
Either it works or doesn't...but it must be practiced, not read about in a book.

Is there evidence that we have meridians as said in acupuncture?
Someone had a vision of them (I did one time like seeing a roadmap of the body).
But evidence? Good luck.

Nope, I'd say it is a tried and proven Path.
Actually practice what some of the Bible says and see for yourself...I would start
with, Be still and know that I am God...or Seek the Kingdom of Heaven first....why, to see
if it is true...those that sincerely seek with the heart of a child will find It.

That was my proof....found It.
Did I digress?
I'm sorry..I'm quite paranoid having posts deleted...threads closed.
Makes me scared to say anything much.
I'm always doing something wrong around here.

Old 12-22-2013, 07:36 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,119,848 times
Quote:
There was plenty of evidence, they drew the wrong conclusions because they did not know enough to draw better ones.

In an age when very little was understood of the natural world and its physical operations, the blank was filled by postulating gods as responsible for all inexplicable events. It rains every spring for twenty straight years and suddenly there is a spring with no rain. What we now recognize as periodic climate extremes, they saw as a message from the gods who controlled the weather. No rain means no crops which means starving people...therefore they must have done something to anger the weather god. The solution was to guess what might please this god....sacrifice, rituals, offerings....and hope that it was enough to restore them to the god's favor.

Then if the normal amount of rain returned the next year, that was the validation they needed to confirm their interpretation. And whichever tribal member had led the actions which restored them to the good graces of that god, why he or she must be a holy person.

It was the classical working of the common logical error that if B followed A, A must have caused B.

In modern times there is no excuse for taking this ignorant, superstitious approach to the workings of nature, but many still do.

Old 12-22-2013, 07:36 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,692,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
If there is no evidence of God why would man give credit to God?
That seems to be your main question, I think.

All you need is one Divine, mind altering experience where the Doors of Perception
are opened and knowledge is poured into your brain...insights, revelations galore...
Look at what Buddha started!
No evidence needed.His words inspire, ring true, people practice what he said...and
Bingo, happier life....doing and practicing, to me, is the proof or evidence.
Either it works or doesn't...but it must be practiced, not read about in a book.

Is there evidence that we have meridians as said in acupuncture?
Someone had a vision of them (I did one time like seeing a roadmap of the body).
But evidence? Good luck.

Nope, I'd say it is a tried and proven Path.
Actually practice what some of the Bible says and see for yourself...I would start
with, Be still and know that I am God...or Seek the Kingdom of Heaven first....why, to see
if it is true...those that sincerely seek with the heart of a child will find It.

That was my proof....found It.
Did I digress?
I'm sorry..I'm quite paranoid having posts deleted...threads closed.
Makes me scared to say anything much.
I'm always doing something wrong around here.
Firstly, the organ called the heart does no thinking, so I assume you mean the mind. Secondly, we can interpret this statement to say "If you look for something with the naive hope of a child, you'll find it", much like the legend of Santa Clause. Sorry, life is much more complicated than simply in a fantasy world where dreams come true if you only wish for them hard enough.

Old 12-22-2013, 09:24 AM

1,114 posts, read 1,224,127 times
Quote:
He couldn't have had "help" from Satan because if God doesn't exist then Satan, a created being/angel doesn't exist either. [I assume this is the position of atheists/agnostics.].
To explain the unexplainable, of course! Without an in depth understanding of science or the natural processes behind things, people didn't know how to explain such things. They knew of no such man like themselves with the ability and super-powers to do these powerful things. Therefore, they created a "being" (god) in their image and attributed superpowers to it, as an explanation for the unexplainable. It morphed from there.

Old 12-22-2013, 09:43 AM

19,999 posts, read 13,475,998 times
Quote:
People can draw wrong conclusions due to ignorance, and/or misleading intuition (confirmation bias, agency inference, etc). People can choose to deal with the finite nature of their existence with varying degrees of honesty. People can be swayed by parents and other relatives, teachers and mentors into assuming they are wrong and that others are right. People can be swayed by environments that distrust skepticism and open, objective inquiry. People can be manipulated and abused into conformance to groupthink.

Those are just a few of the reasons.

You are basically going with an argumentum ad populum fallacy here.

Billions can believe in a thing and it can still be wrong. Most of the world used to believe in bleeding with leeches to drain "bad humors". That didn't make it either true or effective.

Old 12-22-2013, 10:03 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,075,596 times
Quote:
At least 2/3 of the world's population believe the Bible was written by Man Alone. Most of that 2/3 are theists and do believe in a deity or deities. but not the one in the bible.

While I am a theist, I like to try to understand why some people are Atheists and also why Atheism is fast growing.

I find that many of us theists tend to place our belief on the same statement.

Quote:
While that is sufficient for us theists it is not sufficient for all people. Everything we see as evidence of God(swt) can be explained by other means. For many Atheists the belief in God(swt) is just a means of explaining the unknown.

I do not belive any one will actually believe in God(swt) unless they are receptive to being led by God(swt). God(swt) will lead those willing to be led. A theist has no need of physical proof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality