Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 07:46 AM

3,099 posts, read 2,649,436 times

Advertisements

I am really starting to doubt that prayers are answered at all. Does God only answer the prayers of a select few?
What a let down!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2007, 07:56 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,528,814 times
Nocolepsy, God will and maybe has answered your prayers..He knows what we need and sometimes it is not what we think we need..Prayer is not like placing an order at a drive through window knowing that you will receive it at the next window..Our prayers should also be filled with love and faith and humbleness that we may not receive what we ask for, but He will give us what we need..Sometimes he sends us "tools" that we must use in order to receive the blessing we asked for..

Old 12-08-2007, 08:01 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,791,820 times
nicolepsy,
I have read many of your posts and have felt that you are a true seeker. Could you help me to understand what your beliefs are and where you feel that you are in your journey? Feel free to DM me if you would like. Please know that I am in no way trying to attack/insult you. I am only trying to better understand you so that I/we can better direct our answers to you 'personally'. Also know that I am in and out all day long (I was actually getting ready to sign-off) so if I don't respond right away, I will be back later. I have seen that there are many posters on the forum who have your best interests in mind.
Best regards,
May God bless us all..
Weather...

Old 12-08-2007, 08:04 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,200,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolepsy View Post
I am really starting to doubt that prayers are answered at all. Does God only answer the prayers of a select few?
What a let down!
Just my opinion coming up. Ignore it if you want to. Sometimes people pray to God for an answer to problem that they could figure out for themselves. But they don't want to. They want God to make the decision for them. They want God to show the way. We have to take responsibility for our actions.

Then, there will be others that pray for the impossible. God answers those prayers. The impossible doesn't happen.

And then, there is the possibility that God simply does not meddle in our little day by day happenings. When others talk about their prayers being answered, it could be that it was going to be that way anyway. Their prayers didn't have a thing to do with it. But if it makes them feel better....then so be it!!!

A man prays that he gets a certain job. Someone else gets it. Is that a sign that God didn't answer the first man's prayer or that the other guy prayed harder? Or that God wasn't involved at all, just that the guy that did the hiring made the decision, and he happened to be an atheist?

Old 12-08-2007, 08:08 AM

2,482 posts, read 8,737,114 times
Believers would probably tell you that God is not there to serve your mortal desires, wants, and needs. He is the Artist of the bigger picture.

Nonbelievers like myself would tell you that you are the person in control of your destiny and that to believe a diety would micromanage each person's life would be a foolish notion to believe in.

Which one holds more water? For you to decide. I hope you find peace though.

Old 12-08-2007, 08:16 AM

3,099 posts, read 2,649,436 times
thank you to all of you for your replies. your posts will hopefully help me figure this out and feel more at peace in the end. i try to keep an open mind about all of this (religion, prayer etc.).

Old 12-08-2007, 08:26 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,791,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
Believers would probably tell you that God is not there to serve your mortal desires, wants, and needs. He is the Artist of the bigger picture.

Nonbelievers like myself would tell you that you are the person in control of your destiny and that to believe a diety would micromanage each person's life would be a foolish notion to believe in.

Which one holds more water? For you to decide. I hope you find peace though.
Hmm..interesting, I agree with some of SmerkyGrl's response.

First, God is not there to serve you. However, he will provide you with your 'needs'. Your wants and desires...well, that's another issue. He has not promised to fulfill those (at least not in this life). But what he has promised is to give you much more than you could ever desire in this world when you join him in your eternal life in heaven.

I also believe that to some degree, you are in control of your destiny. It is your choice to ask Christ into your heart. It is your choice to give your life over to Him. It is your choice to serve Him.

I, too, hope for your peace. And I will also be praying for your peace.

My glass in neither half-full or half-empty. My glass is over-flowing with the love of my Lord and Saviour. And with that comes the peace that all my needs will be taken care of.

Peace be with us all...
Weather...

Old 12-08-2007, 08:27 AM

751 posts, read 1,180,485 times
God answers prayers whenever and if he wishes to do so. The idea that God must answer your prayers is ludicrous. God is the Creator, he owes you nothing and because he can take your life away anytime, being humble is a big part of the process. I truly believe that sometimes God makes things happen in such way so that he can test you and your faith, people that do not understand this simple fact will dwell on problems and difficulties forever because they do not understand the bigger picture. As far as the person who said that he/she is in charge of her own destiny, Hilarious! You are not in charge of anything, you could have your life planned 30 years ahead of time, you could be crossing the street and get hit by a car, your life is over in less than a few seconds. Also, praying to God only when you need something is even more ludicrous.

Old 12-08-2007, 08:30 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,243,461 times
I pray through action.
Whenever my prayer was not answered (= I did not accomplished what I set out to do), I consider this proof that either my planning was faulty, or that my execution was flawed.

Old 12-08-2007, 08:36 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,467,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
As far as the person who said that he/she is in charge of her own destiny, Hilarious! You are not in charge of anything, you could have your life planned 30 years ahead of time, you could be crossing the street and get hit by a car, your life is over in less than a few seconds. Also, praying to God only when you need something is even more ludicrous.
Yeah but getting hit by a car is not some divine plan of some wacko schizophrenic force that likes to make people miserable to see his love. It's just bad luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality