Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 01:50 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,944,451 times

Advertisements

World Environment Day - Food Waste Facts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QbHlWNoyp4

Old 05-27-2014, 02:17 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post

Sadly, there are fewer and fewer food pantries and food kitchens in June's area, despite the fact that the need remains so great!
That is sad.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:27 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
That is sad.
According to many...that's Government's job--to care for the needy. I agree that any Church worth its salt should care for the needy...but many people either think it's the government's job...or they are not able to contribute--and are in fact being served by the few pantries there are.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:45 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,081,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
According to many...that's Government's job--to care for the needy. I agree that any Church worth its salt should care for the needy...but many people either think it's the government's job...or they are not able to contribute--and are in fact being served by the few pantries there are.
It seems that up until the 1960s or so the attitude had always been, family and neighbors would take care of each other. there was very little need for "Government Assistance"

I can remember my mother always cooking enough at every meal to have enough to bring a plate over to the "Old Lady" that lived next door. I remember other neighbors doing the same.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
It seems that up until the 1960s or so the attitude had always been, family and neighbors would take care of each other. there was very little need for "Government Assistance"

I can remember my mother always cooking enough at every meal to have enough to bring a plate over to the "Old Lady" that lived next door. I remember other neighbors doing the same.
That's exactly my point. What's neat is that in my area, the people do a pretty good job of caring for each other -- religious or not. If someone goes into the hospital.....people bring food. One guy in town had a knee replacement surgery a month ago...and he was telling people NOT to bring food -- he had too much.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:58 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,659,574 times
Depends on where you live I guess. Except for the large churches, many churches are not open all times of the day. Only a few churches around here that I know of actually feed people who are hungry and open specifically for the purpose in mind. One of them does it everyday at lunch time only, where people can walk in and get a brown bag or sit inside and eat. And the other one does it a few days out of the week. Even for the churches that don't do this, I believe you can walk in their and tell someone you are hungry and they will do something about it.

Old 05-27-2014, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Hmmm..... My parents obviously lost the Cosmic Birth Lottery since they both grew up in abject, grinding poverty during the Great Depression. Their extended families and all of the neighbors were also slowly starving to death. They had a great need for government assistance. My father's first experience with eating three meals a day was when he enlisted in the Army. (They took him even though he had rickets.) I'm sure there are people here who would call that government assistance since he ate as much of Uncle Sam's food as he could every opportunity he got.

Which means I don't judge the single mother with two kids who is using a WIC card to buy them milk. In fact I think, "Good. Healthy bones are important."

Last edited by DewDropInn; 05-27-2014 at 03:42 PM..

Old 05-27-2014, 03:42 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,081,696 times
Quote:
Hmmm..... My parents obviously lost the Cosmic Birth Lottery since they both grew up in abject, grinding poverty during the Great Depression. Their extended families and all of the neighbors were also slowly starving to death. They had a great need for government assistance. My father's first experience with eating three meals a day was when he enlisted in the Army. (They took him even though he had rickets.) I'm sure there are people here who would call that government assistance since he ate as much of Uncle Sam's food as he could every opportunity he got.

Which means I don't judge the single mother with two kids who is using a WIC card to buy them milk.
I grew up post Depression. Perhaps that was the reason my neighbors, in the 1940-50s were so willing to help their neighbors. They had made it through the Depression and knew what it was like to be hungry.

Old 05-27-2014, 03:45 PM

Quote:
They had made it through the Depression and knew what it was like to be hungry.
Yep.

Old 05-27-2014, 03:45 PM

Quote:

Which means I don't judge the single mother with two kids who is using a WIC card to buy them milk. In fact I think, "Good. Healthy bones are important."
No one is suggesting we should judge the people that genuinely need help. I've been on the receiving end of that myself. If you need it, great---that's what it's for.

But truth be told, I've seen HUGE amounts of waste and corruption from government. I've also seen people that genuinely NEED help that don't get it because they don't quite fit into the parameters that the government bureaucrat has to abide by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality