Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 12:22 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,925,051 times

Advertisements

Never mind the argument of Second Law of Thermodynamics is used fallaciously by creationists, now it appears that in may be challenged by new developments... creating something out of nothing.

This new to me paper (released in 2012) Thermodynamic Work Gain from Entanglement discusses the experiments and their results. Now, I recognize most here won't understand what the paper describes, so here is a layman's version written in an article. And another.

Not only that, Swedish scientiest are doing the impossible, creating light from nothing. Again, no god of any kind needed, including Zeus or Thor, and especially not Yahweh.

Go figure. Creationists, we know your going to reflect on what is written in Genesis, but remember, that was by a bunch of superstitious, bronzed aged desert dwellers, who had no clue about the universe and science.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 12:40 PM

919 posts, read 848,482 times
First of all, thanks for posting the links - absolutely enjoyable and new to me as well!
My feelings about quantum entanglement are the same as Einstein's - "there is something wrong with that boy " without knowing what it is. I would love to demolish the action-at-a-distance concept, but darn scientists seem to keep proving it.

Having said that, what's with the unneeded putdowns? "I recognize most here won't understand what the paper describes" - well, did YOU? If you did, prove it. Explain the basic differences between Zurek's work and the authors'.

Faith begins where science ends and objective experiments are impossible. And the second law of thermodynamics is hardly controversial.
I wouldn't mind being a "bronzed aged desert dweller" though. Sounds very rugged and manly.

Old 11-13-2014, 12:43 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,972,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Never mind the argument of Second Law of Thermodynamics is used fallaciously by creationists, now it appears that in may be challenged by new developments... creating something out of nothing.

This new to me paper (released in 2012) Thermodynamic Work Gain from Entanglement discusses the experiments and their results. Now, I recognize most here won't understand what the paper describes, so here is a layman's version written in an article. And another.

Not only that, Swedish scientiest are doing the impossible, creating light from nothing. Again, no god of any kind needed, including Zeus or Thor, and especially not Yahweh.

Go figure. Creationists, we know your going to reflect on what is written in Genesis, but remember, that was by a bunch of superstitious, bronzed aged desert dwellers, who had no clue about the universe and science.
The Bible never says God created everything out of nothing.
Quote:
Moses had the equivalent of a PhD. He was trained in all the wisdom of Egypt. I'd like to see you build the Giza Pyramid and use it like the machine it was built for.

Old 11-13-2014, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfa-ish View Post
First of all, thanks for posting the links - absolutely enjoyable and new to me as well!
My feelings about quantum entanglement are the same as Einstein's - "there is something wrong with that boy " without knowing what it is. I would love to demolish the action-at-a-distance concept, but darn scientists seem to keep proving it.

Having said that, what's with the unneeded putdowns? "I recognize most here won't understand what the paper describes" - well, did YOU? If you did, prove it. Explain the basic differences between Zurek's work and the authors'.

Faith begins where science ends and objective experiments are impossible. And the second law of thermodynamics is hardly controversial.
I wouldn't mind being a "bronzed aged desert dweller" though. Sounds very rugged and manly.
No put down intended at all...it is just common sense that there will only be a very few physicist here how could properly critique or understand the posted paper. I provided it as a source document in the off chance someone wanted to study it, and possibly have cogent discussions of it.

I am not a physicist.. my expertise is more in the biological sciences.

Old 11-13-2014, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
The Bible never says God created everything out of nothing.
That is not the story we hear from any creationists

Quote:
Moses had the equivalent of a PhD. He was trained in all the wisdom of Egypt. I'd like to see you build the Giza Pyramid and use it like the machine it was built for.
Moses as a person is harder to prove than Jesus as one. Besides, the pyramids were built before the bible says there was a worldwide flood, yet show no evidence of being impacted by it.

Old 11-13-2014, 01:25 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times
Quote:

So what exactly does this say to you? Are you using it to argue that there is an eternal universe?

Old 11-13-2014, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
So what exactly does this say to you? Are you using it to argue that there is an eternal universe?
What does it say to you, Vizio?

Old 11-13-2014, 02:11 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,972,754 times
Quote:
Moses as a person is harder to prove than Jesus as one. Besides, the pyramids were built before the bible says there was a worldwide flood, yet show no evidence of being impacted by it.
This might help to clear up the dating:
Dating the Pyramids - Archaeology Magazine Archive

But still, why would scientists not need God if they could create something from nothing? It seems they, at least in thought, feel they have no need of God prior to the discovery.

If God never existed, none of us would be existing.

Old 11-13-2014, 02:17 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,694,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post

If God never existed, none of us would be existing.
Assertion without any basis.

Old 11-13-2014, 02:18 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,694,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Why do you ask? Would not an answer of "I just know" suffice for you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality