Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 08:11 PM

220 posts, read 278,094 times

Advertisements

I dont know why.. I have nothing against them or other religions.. But I find them to be a bit.. well.. Thinking there better than everyone else. I feel they want to change the world for the better however, a world with no freedom any more.. What do you think?

THIS IS NOT A HATE THREAD! AND I WILL REPORT IF HARASSMENT AGAINST RELIGIONS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2015, 08:23 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,760,343 times
Many religious people think their religion and their beliefs are better than everyone else, and many believe that if you don't follow their particular religion you're going to burn in hell for eternity.

I used to have JW people coming by my house often in the past (haven't seen any in a while) and I would just tell them I wasn't interested and they moved on.

Old 01-10-2015, 08:27 PM

723 posts, read 806,237 times
I'm a Catholic and I love discussing with Jehovah Witnesses. It is just funny when they argue to sell their booklets. They think all catholics are lost souls

Old 01-10-2015, 08:31 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
I MUST NOT make a post about JWs' wittiness, or lack therof.

That would just be a cheap yuk at someone else's expense.

Therefore, I shan't.

Old 01-10-2015, 09:15 PM

371 posts, read 337,852 times
Really most all religions are like that. Some may have had longer to bury any mistakes theyve made though!

Old 01-10-2015, 09:17 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helpingfalcon View Post
I dont know why.. I have nothing against them or other religions.. But I find them to be a bit.. well.. Thinking there better than everyone else. I feel they want to change the world for the better however, a world with no freedom any more.. What do you think?

I don't know any Jehovah Witness personally so I can honestly say I don't know if I like them or not.
Until I meet one/some and get to know them I would have no clue.

Old 01-10-2015, 10:09 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,214,408 times
They are pretty harmless except for maybe in the uS where as i understand it, you do not have this type of fencing.

Plus we have rules in malls where peeps wanting to proselytise or promote something need the permission of the owners. This limits their actions here in SA.

I was busy one Sunday morning and a few of their ladies shouted through the sliding gate, I told them I was not interested but they must have had a motivation sermon that week and persisted. I told them I am an atheist. Well that was really amusing. I think I was the first to tell them openly and they went off in a chorus about many things. I think they even offered me a pamphlet ion "atheism." Eventually I told them if they wanted to debate their religion, they can make an appointment but that might deconvert them.

I heard them muttering between themselves as the walked on.

I worked with one JW and he never brought up the religion once. I think they go out to earn persecution points.

The thing that most of the door2door theists do not realise, for most, we wonder why their god cannot manifest in person. They are tolerated here in SA but I think if you ask most folk, they really do not like their invasive ways.

Perhaps in SA, crime and religion share some common ideals

Oh BTW, if anyone had a picket fence like the USA example, robbery is guaranteed. Plus most folk here where I now stay have one or more dogs (the attacking and biting variety).

Old 01-11-2015, 12:42 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
Quote:

No opinion about them one way or another, except when they insist on ringing my doorbell on a Saturday morning.

Old 01-11-2015, 03:15 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I MUST NOT make a post about JWs' wittiness, or lack therof.

That would just be a cheap yuk at someone else's expense.

Therefore, I shan't.
You're a better person than I (I just did it in a place designed for it)

Old 01-11-2015, 03:46 AM

1,714 posts, read 1,149,521 times
Quote:

Do you care about facts or what people "think" because the two are many times not the same

Already you have posts that JWs:

"Sell." JWs do not sell anything. Literature and Bibles are given out for free. Maybe sell is meant in the figurative sense but why not simply make it clear.

A reference about what many believe... that if you don't follow their religion you'll end up burning in hell. JWs don't believe in immortality of the soul. Hence they do NOT share the viewpoint that God tortures people in eternal hellfire.

Anyone who has been a Witness for a time will know that JW literature commonly contains articles about non JWs who came to have a good deal of understanding of what the Bible teaches. So much for thinking they're better than everyone else.

Some say Witnesses have invasive ways or don't like the door bell ringing on Saturday morning. Well typically if a person says they are not interested in any number of ways...door slamming, yelling, using a gun, spray from a water-hose or simply "not interested" that's that. (someone will likely chime in otherwise but Witnesses are encouraged to be peaceable, not engage in debates, and respect the homeowner's request to leave). And, no there isn't any persecution points. Actually Witnesses enjoy the time walking from house to house with friends and family. It's a time to engage in small talk and catch up on life just like normal people...imagine that. And this being America where obesity is a problem we can all stand to do a little more walking whether it's going door to door or getting up from the couch and answering the doorbell.

As far as JWs wanting to change the world for the better but a world with no freedom? Well, no but think about this...

One man's freedom can be another man's enslavement. A world with absolute freedom without consideration of others can be as tyrannical as a world with no freedom.

"For to be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others."-Nelson Mandela

Anyway if you want facts about JWs you can visit the website JW.org
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality