Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 09:09 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,604,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
It's a good thing he didn't punch one of my kids or grandkids in the chest

I imagine that preacher was very proud of himself from the way he boasted of his abuse. I have seen it happen many times in church, and heard the "amen's" and saw the bobble heads.
Spare the ole' rod spoil the child has indeed caused suffering and death of children. It's a shame. It has also caused mental grief. Some atheists under 18 get a lot of verbal abuse from Theist parents and church members. Like Damon Fowler who tried to get a prayer removed from his high school prom in Louisiana. Ouch, not a bright idea but a brave young man for standing up for his rights to not believe. At least he wasn't beaten to death like Lydia S. or Hanna Willams, who's parents learned from "To Train up a Child" under God for the fundies.

Several kids have died from this, sadly more lived through it. Very sad. Parents using God as an excuse to hurt their kids is abuse to it's finest. It doesn't really matter which religion it is, they all have abusive child raising techniques. From down right killing the child down to making kids skip meals, skip books with magic, just basic mind benders for God.

Again, God can't be used as an excuse in my eyes. It's just telling about the parents. God doesn't kill kids, parents kill their kids, but God gives them a good excuse for beating them. Sucks. A lot of sick people out there.

What's amazing is that in some states in America you can loose a custody battle for your child or even visitation rights just because you are an atheist or agnostic. Fancy that, the court making your child go to church for their own good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
It IS a ruined life to lay there and think back on your life, knowing that it was all meaningless as you prepare to enter the afterlife without a hope.
It's only YOU who think of my life as meaningless. I won't lay there thinking my life is meaningless, it was as meaningful as yours. It may be even more meaningful to me because I'm not looking beyond it all the time. I gave children life, I've loved and been loved, I've touched people and experienced them touching my life. No prize for endurance needed in the end for me, my life and everything in it was more than enough and I'm grateful already. I ask forgiveness from the people around me, it's harder to do that then ask a God for forgiveness.

Old 01-15-2015, 09:32 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
It's only YOU who think of my life as meaningless. I won't lay there thinking my life is meaningless, it was as meaningful as yours. It may be even more meaningful to me because I'm not looking beyond it all the time. I gave children life, I've loved and been loved, I've touched people and experienced them touching my life. No prize for endurance needed in the end for me, my life and everything in it was more than enough and I'm grateful already. I ask forgiveness from the people around me, it's harder to do that then ask a God for forgiveness.

It takes a stunning amount of arrogance to declare that someone else's life is meaningless. I'm not quite sure where that comes from. No place good, that's for sure.

Old 01-15-2015, 09:52 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post

It takes a stunning amount of arrogance to declare that someone else's life is meaningless. I'm not quite sure where that comes from. No place good, that's for sure.
It comes from replacing one's heart and brain with a book.

Old 01-15-2015, 10:32 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
Why are you determining who is a "real Christian"?
We can make observations based on what God has actually said. But how would my statement be any worse than the previous poster that said the person wasn't a "real atheist"?

Old 01-15-2015, 10:34 AM

Quote:
If you lie there on your deathbed and believe that your life was full of meaning, good on ya.

My point was simply that this person I was speaking about recognized that his life was meaningless in the grand scheme of things.

Old 01-15-2015, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Spare the ole' rod spoil the child has indeed caused suffering and death of children. It's a shame. It has also caused mental grief. Some atheists under 18 get a lot of verbal abuse from Theist parents and church members. Like Damon Fowler who tried to get a prayer removed from his high school prom in Louisiana. Ouch, not a bright idea but a brave young man for standing up for his rights to not believe. At least he wasn't beaten to death like Lydia S. or Hanna Willams, who's parents learned from "To Train up a Child" under God for the fundies.

Several kids have died from this, sadly more lived through it. Very sad. Parents using God as an excuse to hurt their kids is abuse to it's finest. It doesn't really matter which religion it is, they all have abusive child raising techniques. From down right killing the child down to making kids skip meals, skip books with magic, just basic mind benders for God.

Again, God can't be used as an excuse in my eyes. It's just telling about the parents. God doesn't kill kids, parents kill their kids, but God gives them a good excuse for beating them. Sucks. A lot of sick people out there.

What's amazing is that in some states in America you can loose a custody battle for your child or even visitation rights just because you are an atheist or agnostic. Fancy that, the court making your child go to church for their own good.
This idiot claiming to have punched a kid has nothing to do with the Proverb of "spare the rod, spoil the child". Nor is beating a child. The imagery of that Proverb is regarding discipline in general. And yes--it's true that if you do not discipline a child, they will grow up to be spoiled rotten brats with no regard for anyone else.

Old 01-15-2015, 10:36 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
We can make observations based on what God has actually said. But how would my statement be any worse than the previous poster that said the person wasn't a "real atheist"?
That wasn't the question. WHY are you determining who is a Christian and who isn't?

Old 01-15-2015, 10:44 AM

Quote:
That wasn't the question. WHY are you determining who is a Christian and who isn't?
I'm not. I suppose my statement was worded poorly. I don't determine. I can simply make observations. And you may ask WHY I feel the need to make observations? I would say for the same reason I was told this guy wasn't a real atheist. Or for the same reason that the usual suspects on this board like to bad-mouth Christianity based on what a "Christian' did. You guys love to judge who a Christian is and isn't. Why can't we make such statements?

Old 01-15-2015, 09:02 PM

Quote:
If you lie there on your deathbed and believe that your life was full of meaning, good on ya.

My point was simply that this person I was speaking about recognized that his life was meaningless in the grand scheme of things.
I have my doubts a belief before that would have made a difference because it's very hard not to find meaning in this life unless you have abnormal issues at play but it was nice of you to try and calm someone down before their end. I know first hand how hard it can be facing someone about to die.

Maybe you could have phrased it better. IMO, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality