Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 10:54 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,872,913 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any information about the cultural religious beliefs of the places on earth where the sun does not set? (I'm thinking Norway but I'm not certain.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 11:06 AM

15 posts, read 10,409 times
I just hear about this.. It will be very interesting/..

Old 01-14-2015, 12:21 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,201,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Does anyone have any information about the cultural religious beliefs of the places on earth where the sun does not set? (I'm thinking Norway but I'm not certain.)
I'm just curious....is it because you're interested in Norway's religious culture? Or does the sun not setting have any special meaning to you?

Old 01-14-2015, 12:31 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,329,567 times
The sun sets in Norway and every where else in the world. True the closer the poles the less days that it does set but also the more days it does not rise. It is a weird thing going weeks without darkness (northern Canada) but no knowledge of whatever the OP is after

Old 01-14-2015, 02:08 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Quote:
So sorry I just came from the Creationist debate thread on Christianity. I though the thread was religious beliefs where the sun does not shine.

Old 01-14-2015, 02:24 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,872,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I'm just curious....is it because you're interested in Norway's religious culture? Or does the sun not setting have any special meaning to you?
Because many religions have been inspired by the sun. The divine light. Christmas occurs three days after the Solstice. Easter occurs near the spring Equinox.

These things have influenced religion. So I am curious about regions where those things are not the norm.

Old 01-14-2015, 02:32 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,201,874 times
Quote:
Because many religions have been inspired by the sun. The divine light. Christmas occurs three days after the Solstice. Easter occurs near the spring Equinox.

These things have influenced religion. So I am curious about regions where those things are not the norm.
How do you know that Christianity draws its inspiration from the sun? The Bible doesn't really say anything like that.

Old 01-14-2015, 02:35 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
So sorry I just came from the Creationist debate thread on Christianity. I though the thread was religious beliefs where the sun does not shine.
Can't rep you yet... so here ya go: I laughed out loud.

Old 01-14-2015, 03:32 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,199,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Can't rep you yet... so here ya go: I laughed out loud.
I repped the old cocker. He can consider it from both of us.

Old 01-14-2015, 03:48 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,452,288 times
From the Jewish perspective, sunset is a major marker for holidays and Shabbat. When the rules of Shabbat were hashed out, there was no way to know that there were places in the world where the sun would not set in the summer.

Traditionally, if a Jew is in a place like Alaska or Stockholm where it might never get *dark* but the sun does set, they would light the Shabbat candles at whatever time the sun actually sets. That can mean midnight or later! The end of Shabbat is 25 hours later, no matter if the sun has set again or not.

In places like Iceland where the sun really does not set for a few months in the summer, it gets a little more hairy. If you are traveling, it is customary to take the times of Shabbat from wherever you come from. If you live there, there are various customs. I lived in Iceland for a few months over the summer and met other Jews there - a few expats, but also a few 2nd generation Israelis. They typically marked Shabbat based on Jerusalem.

More info: http://www.myjewishlearning.com/ask_..._Iceland.shtml
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality