Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2015, 01:15 PM

63,817 posts, read 40,099,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Ah, so we just didn't try hard enough, pour our hearts out enough ... in short we just didn't want it badly enough.
Well, lucky you.
I do not think this is necessarily true because I was an outright atheist with no concern for or expectations about a God whatsoever. However, I was very diligent in seeking Nirvana by ever more effective techniques for reaching deep meditative states. The God thing was a complete and utter shock to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2015, 01:31 PM

22,184 posts, read 19,227,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I was very diligent in seeking...The God thing was a complete and utter shock to me.
yes, it is a wanting, a desire
and Mystic makes a good point...it may come in a "package" or format that is outside of our comfort zone, we have to be prepared for and open to that. the whole point is for us to grow and change and blossom following the blueprint that our soul holds for us, which is always larger and grander and more magnificent and dazzling than the small and limited place we currently occupy.

it's like falling in love....if we reject the way it appears, then we push away the blessing, the gift, the response.

a useful question to ask ourselves is "what would I have to give up in order to have God in my life" and see what answers are on your list

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 10-01-2015 at 01:40 PM..

Old 10-01-2015, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Ah, so we just didn't try hard enough, pour our hearts out enough ... in short we just didn't want it badly enough.

Well, lucky you.
there is such a poignancy to mord's posts, because he does have that yearning, it is sunlight beaming through his posts. there is also an (inaccurate) belief or thought form that goes something like this "other people get to have god in their life but I don't because I am _____" and fill in the blank such as "I don't get to have god because I am deficient in some way, not praying hard enough, not doing it right, not worthy of love" none of which are true, so those have to be discarded.

I like reading mord's posts, they are warm and genuine, he really cares about the loved ones in his family, and he does not just yet see or allow in how utterly treasured and precious and loved he is by God. he's getting there though!

Old 10-01-2015, 06:14 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,694,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
perhaps because there was a yearning, a desire, a reaching out, an asking, a seeking, a calling, a desire to be in the relationship, a willingness to enter into the conversation and the relationship with the Divine. God is within us and around us at all times. When we pour out our heart to God, God always responds. How God responds to any given person, is entirely individual and custom-made to that person and their soul.
So, there is no possibility that you are wrong, only that there is something wrong with me? I'm not sure how you concluded that I didn't yearn, desire, or reach out to the God I was raised to believe in, the God that I had committed my life to, the God for whom I had planned on making my life's work. No, instead you assume that I had no reason to want to believe in this God, and the same for the billions of others who do not believe in the same God as you. You assume that we never did pour out our hearts at anytime to justify our life-long belief in him or to help us when we needed him most. Yes, you are one of the lucky ones.

Old 10-01-2015, 07:18 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,928,039 times
Life began for me when I invited Jesus Christ into my life, and asked for forgiveness for my sin and need His Lordship in my life .
I spent my own time studying scriptures and listening to various teachers and saw all their contrast to the things Jesus taught .
I knew something was wrong and I became desperate to know God and have the fellowship Jesus intended for his believers.
I spent every morning in prayer for an hour or more and learned to listen through many different means .
Often the scriptures I had been studying, are referred to specifically by others with in a day or so ,that have no idea what I had been studying .
Often a portion of a message one one is sharing contains things God is teaching me or warning me about, linked to scriptures I had just been studying . not a coincidence ,it happens too often and with folk and their writing that are completely unconnected to one another.
This grew as my desperation grew in knowing Gods will and direction for my life.
There are times I am inspired to go to town and a certain place and that happens to be a divine intervention on some ones behalf meeting their need . there is no way for me to know these things ahead of time.
I don't manipulate God, I cooperate with Him.
I have seen more miracles in my life as a kid than most preachers do in a lifetime. The adventures never stop .
There are a lot of things I had to shelve , of things men taught and it took some time and humility and some repentance as well for many of my own mistakes passing other mens teaching as gospel and it was not.
Jeremiah 31; 31,32,33, is Gods promise to provide the Holy spirit Jesus is the fulfillment of that promise. John.14;
If you are trying to take Jesus and obedience out of the equation, your attempting to circumvent God's design. that's rebellion.

Old 10-01-2015, 09:23 PM

2,071 posts, read 2,163,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Sorry, that's not verifiable unless you have some type of video or audio that you can provide. Personal (soul) experiences are not reliable. Why do you feel that you and Mystic are privileged enough to receive such a perceived experience from God and billions of others are not? Why must we rely upon words coming from you instead of directly from him/her/it?

Can you still act as a medium if needed?
Considering God is invisible having a video isn't possible. As to audio, our communications are soul-to-soul, which I hear with my thoughts. Btw in the spirit world, spirits communicate with each other by mental telepathy.

When I accepted God into my life, it took many years before I really knew who He was. I simply prayed for His Divine Love and received it (warmth and expansion in the area of my solar plexus) and this was my confirmation that He is real. It was 19 years ago, when I was going through a very difficult time that I got on my knees and reached out to God. I committed myself to Him and said that I would follow His will. Since then, I've re-committed myself at least three times. As I've posted here somewhere before, I don't go to church. It's just me and God and I like it that way.

I don't know about billions not having an experience with God, but I do know that I don't fear Him. I love Him immensely and He knows it, because I tell Him all the time. God is very lovable and desires that we love Him in return. The result is that I get a whole lotta Divine Love pouring into my soul. It's a win-win Divine Love Fest.

God will talk to you if you give Him a chance. Just let Him know what's on your mind. Actually, He already knows it because He can hear your thoughts. That's why it's easy to communicate in that way. My best advice is to find a quiet place either indoors or outside and just start talking and then listen to your thoughts. Confirm that it is God and not a spirit. Maybe do what I've done many a time... ask Him for a hug. Just know... God gives great hugs!

If I decided I wanted to know what my mother has been up to these last few years, I could contact her and get a message. Actually, I should do that to find out what sphere she's in.

Old 10-01-2015, 09:30 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,694,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngel2009 View Post
Considering God is invisible having a video isn't possible. As to audio, our communications are soul-to-soul, which I hear with my thoughts. Btw in the spirit world, spirits communicate with each other by mental telepathy.

When I accepted God into my life, it took many years before I really knew who He was. I simply prayed for His Divine Love and received it (warmth and expansion in the area of my solar plexus) and this was my confirmation that He is real. It was 19 years ago, when I was going through a very difficult time that I got on my knees and reached out to God. I committed myself to Him and said that I would follow His will. Since then, I've re-committed myself at least three times. As I've posted here somewhere before, I don't go to church. It's just me and God and I like it that way.

I don't know about billions not having an experience with God, but I do know that I don't fear Him. I love Him immensely and He knows it, because I tell Him all the time. God is very lovable and desires that we love Him in return. The result is that I get a whole lotta Divine Love pouring into my soul. It's a win-win Divine Love Fest.

God will talk to you if you give Him a chance. Just let Him know what's on your mind. Actually, He already knows it because He can hear your thoughts. That's why it's easy to communicate in that way. My best advice is to find a quiet place either indoors or outside and just start talking and then listen to your thoughts. Confirm that it is God and not a spirit. Maybe do what I've done many a time... ask Him for a hug. Just know... God gives great hugs!

If I decided I wanted to know what my mother has been up to these last few years, I could contact her and get a message. Actually, I should do that to find out what sphere she's in.
So, your answer is really no, you don't have any verifiable evidence for what you claim. As a matter of fact, I have evidence to dispute your claim. I and millions of others have given God a chance and he hasn't spoken to me even once. How do you suggest to confirm that one is hearing God, a spirit, or simply one's own thoughts? What is the distinguishing characteristics between the three?

Old 10-01-2015, 09:34 PM

20,005 posts, read 13,486,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Quote:

Well, lucky you.
I do not think this is necessarily true because I was an outright atheist with no concern for or expectations about a God whatsoever. However, I was very diligent in seeking Nirvana by ever more effective techniques for reaching deep meditative states. The God thing was a complete and utter shock to me.
My point was that Tz was explaining that Tz's direct line to god was the result of yearning and wanting, that god ALWAYS honors that and by implication if you don't connect with god or experience various blessings in life it is because you don't want it badly enough.

I am not arguing that god is unfair or un-anything since I don't see good reason to believe s/he/it exists. I am objecting to the common trope among those whose lives are sufficiently fortunate that they owe it all to god, who INVARIABLY rewards those who pray / yearn / hope / believe / have faith / don't cuss or chew or go with girls that do -- or whatever particular hobby horse they are flogging. They like this kind of notion because it demeans those who don't believe, or don't experience their particular favored brand of physiological or psychological thrills. And seemingly they can never see the monstrous self-centered self-justifying arrogance of such a statement and how it disacknowledges so much human suffering in the world.

So no, I don't buy that I didn't want badly enough, or wasn't virtuous enough, or didn't have enough faith. Those are just some of a long list of excuses why there is no real substance to the value proposition of faith as generally presented by Christianity. Nor do I appreciate the head-patting condescension of Tz's non-response to that point.

Old 10-01-2015, 09:56 PM

Quote:
those whose lives are sufficiently fortunate that they owe it all to god, who INVARIABLY rewards those who pray / yearn / hope / believe / have faith
... they can never see the monstrous self-centered self-justifying arrogance of such a statement and how it disacknowledges so much human suffering in the world.

actually people find god the most when our lives are at their lowest
when things are going great, god generally gets ignored

we have the most genuine connection when our lives are falling apart, because then we are stripped to our very essence and all the props fall away.

there is nothing self centered or arrogant or monstrous about resting and residing in a place of comfort, kindness, and being loved. it is what our very being yearns for.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 10-01-2015 at 10:05 PM..

Old 10-01-2015, 10:13 PM

2,071 posts, read 2,163,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
So, your answer is really no, you don't have any verifiable evidence for what you claim. As a matter of fact, I have evidence to dispute your claim. I and millions of others have given God a chance and he hasn't spoken to me even once. How do you suggest to confirm that one is hearing God, a spirit, or simply one's own thoughts? What is the distinguishing characteristics between the three?
How do I know it's God and not a spirit or my thoughts? As to hearing spirits, I'm not open to them because my focus is on God only. My sister hears them and feels their presence, so I'll ask her and let you know. I have heard my mom call my name loud and clear and I've heard her speak to me a couple of times in my thoughts and she sounds the same as she did on earth.

Well, in the beginning, I grilled Him, because the sound I heard made me think it was my thoughts. He told me that He comes down to our level and talks like we do.

I really knew it was God, though, when I asked Him once if I should move closer to where I work because my commute is so long. The answer was, "No." Well, luckily I took His advice because six months later, my company moved away from that area.

Don't give up. Keep talking until you hear something. I've got a great idea to get the ball rolling for you... read this prayer and let Him know you're waiting for an answer.

Truth for all people - The Prayer in English

If you need a backup prayer, I've got you covered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality