Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2015, 06:08 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,637,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
But aren't you assuming that anytime the topic is brought up, that you are being witnessed to? Is that fair? I have had discussion with acquaintances, that I don't have any other purpose to respond to them other than to share why I think what they said is wrong. Maybe some of the people around you have accepted that you believe something different. I believe one thing that is brought up in evangelism, is 'planting a seed'. Just because I am around you doesn't mean I am trying to convert you. Just because I have a conversation with you about religion doesn't mean I am trying to convert you. Maybe some of those individuals have truly moved on I can't say, but everyone that have these discussions with you may not be as you describe. Your description comes off as though you have been hurt or betrayed.
I do have family members who aren't living their lives right. They waste ridiculous amounts of time, energy and money belonging to a church, studying the Bible, praying, etc. They alienate others by attempting to "minister" to them. They express disapproval of gay family members, damaging precious relationships in order to please a figment of their imagination.

It's very sad. My only motive to share the truth with them is to save them further loss and grief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 06:16 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
...snip...

The topic was what is an appropriate way to proselytize, the answer is none.

-NoCapo
True.

But it's an answer they refuse to accept.

Because they "know better."

It's tough to un-delude the determinedly self-deluded.

Old 02-16-2015, 06:55 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,986,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
You seem to be saying you can't talk about this without getting upset and being unkind, for instance calling me ignorant, manipulative and childish.
I already told you I disagree with your suggestion determining if I care or not. You can't accept the fact that I don't agree with you, because you keep harping on the fact that I won't do what you want. That's again, what manipulative people do. You should just drop it.

Old 02-16-2015, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
If by believers you mean one who believes in God then I am sure some of my friends and family are, I just do not know which ones. . Sort of like I do not know which are atheist except for a few.

In some of your replies to others it appears like you are trying to argue against their views when all they are doing is answering the question.
I'm not. I am trying to understand perspective. For instance, a person like hiker45 explicitly said, he can deal with people who share their views and he disagrees with them. I can respect that, but I don't understand, which I have repeated numerous times, why people engage so much on here but don't do the same in real life. I just don't get it. That isn't questioning ones beliefs, that is questioning your approach to the conversation.

Last edited by justtitans; 02-16-2015 at 07:11 PM..

Old 02-16-2015, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
justitans you had an opportunity to show that you genuinely care about people rather than only having an agenda to proseletyze. You might not like the way the opportunity was presented to you...OK. But the opportunity is still open to you.
Manipulation. Can't let it go until you get your way. If you had any respect for me, you would let it go, you made your point.

Old 02-16-2015, 07:00 PM

Quote:
I didn't have a question about it...
I am pretty convinced, based on those very threads, that virtually all opposition to gay marriage boils down to religious reasoning. You keep trying to question that without providing any evidence pointing the other way, but I am pretty convinced that thew weight of the evidence shows that this is an issue of the religious, specifically Christians, trying to legislate their religion.

But that is neither here nor there. The topic was what is an appropriate way to proselytize, the answer is none.

-NoCapo
Again, I would be glad to discuss this via direct messaging. You know how to use that feature, right?

Old 02-16-2015, 07:09 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,788,721 times
Quote:
I'm not. I am trying to understand perspective. For instance, a person like hiker45 explicitly said, he can deal with people share their views and he disagrees with them. I can respect that, but I don't understand, which I have repeated numerous times, why people engage so much on here but don't do the same in real life. I just don't get it. That isn't questioning ones beliefs, that is questioning your approach to the conversation.
You are not listening, then. It has been repeatedly said that the key difference is intent. Don't proselytize, don't approach people with the intent to convert them, or even "plant a seed". When you approach people as potential converts instead of real, three-dimensional human beings we can often tell, and it is a huge turn off. Let people ask about your faith, instead of pushing it. Maybe discuss their point of view with a goal of understanding, rather than conversion.

Here is much more like a debate, it is impersonal. To be quite frank, we have no relationship, so I can disagree without worrying if I am going to alienate you by being honest. We can both trot out out ideas and arguments without fear, kind of like rhetorical sparring. I can't do that in many of my meat-space relationships, because I don't want to damage a friendship or alienate family.

-NoCapo

Old 02-16-2015, 07:10 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,788,721 times
Quote:
Again, I would be glad to discuss this via direct messaging. You know how to use that feature, right?
Nah, I don't have any need to hide what I am saying. If you don't want to talk about it, you don't have to...

-NoCapo

Old 02-16-2015, 07:16 PM

Quote:
You are not listening, then. It has been repeatedly said that the key difference is intent. Don't proselytize, don't approach people with the intent to convert them, or even "plant a seed". When you approach people as potential converts instead of real, three-dimensional human beings we can often tell, and it is a huge turn off. Let people ask about your faith, instead of pushing it. Maybe discuss their point of view with a goal of understanding, rather than conversion.

Here is much more like a debate, it is impersonal. To be quite frank, we have no relationship, so I can disagree without worrying if I am going to alienate you by being honest. We can both trot out out ideas and arguments without fear, kind of like rhetorical sparring. I can't do that in many of my meat-space relationships, because I don't want to damage a friendship or alienate family.

-NoCapo
No you are the one not listening because you clearly are very jaded. I asked you do you believe that every person that has a conversation with you about Christianity is trying to proselytize, and you didn't answer. Everybody is trying to convert you with every conversation you have. You are generalizing. This is the reason why you don't understand the context here.

Your second point is fair, I respect that but I want to hear from others who focused on street evangelism at first.

Old 02-16-2015, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Nah, I don't have any need to hide what I am saying. If you don't want to talk about it, you don't have to...

-NoCapo
Start another thread then. I'm not hiding, I just don't appreciate you trying to take over my thread. Start another thread, and stop making excuses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality