Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 08:59 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,926,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Yes...and though true as per their wittle crumb of the action...they are used to "spin", to hide the message of what is really happening in the grand scheme. And that is the exact opposite of what your threads say about "Religion in Decline".

But please do not get me wrong there cup...I don't want you to ever stop. You are consistent, reliable...and give me some of my best material to work off of. I love ya Man!
Perhaps at some point, you to will understand what the citations actually show, and lose the skewed fascination with China.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2016, 07:33 AM

20,011 posts, read 13,491,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
SO if one wishes to believe this life on earth RIGHT NOW is it..It's not a wonder so many act out and figure WTH shouldn't I do whatever!!
A common misconception.

What actually happens is more along these lines:

"Wow, this life is all there is? In that case I had best quit investing in an imaginary afterlife and make the BEST of this life! And I shouldn't "do whatever" because I want to live in a just, civil, peaceful society with others that makes the MOST of the only life I have!"

It may be that you are one of those who "act out" unless bridled in 27 different ways. But some of us are actually quite reluctant to put such immaturity on full display for the amazement and amusement of others. I generally look for ways to AVOID being a douchebag. And I'm convinced that most people, all things being equal, are more like that than like you describe yourself (or at least your fears) here.

Old 01-16-2016, 05:19 PM

18,499 posts, read 9,167,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
A common misconception.

"Wow, this life is all there is? In that case I had best quit investing in an imaginary afterlife and make the BEST of this life! And I shouldn't "do whatever" because I want to live in a just, civil, peaceful society with others that makes the MOST of the only life I have!"

It may be that you are one of those who "act out" unless bridled in 27 different ways. But some of us are actually quite reluctant to put such immaturity on full display for the amazement and amusement of others. I generally look for ways to AVOID being a douchebag. And I'm convinced that most people, all things being equal, are more like that than like you describe yourself (or at least your fears) here.
I second that.

Old 01-16-2016, 05:36 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,263,697 times
Quote:
A common misconception.

Spot on!

Old 01-16-2016, 05:42 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,263,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
SO if one wishes to believe this life on earth RIGHT NOW is it..It's not a wonder so many act out and figure WTH shouldn't I do whatever!!
This is pretty unreasonable thinking and tells me that you don't know much about humans.

Most humans REGARDLESS of their religious beliefs genuinely know right from wrong and don't have any desire to cause harm to others.

Sadly the christian religion teaches that you can do the most horrific things imaginable and you still get a pass to into heaven...just as long as you believe.

Old 01-16-2016, 06:00 PM

18,499 posts, read 9,167,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Sadly the christian religion teaches that you can do the most horrific things imaginable and you still get a pass to into heaven...just as long as you believe.
Yes exactly. Or at least the conservative Protestant sects imply that (even though they deny it). If I'm not mistaken, that kind of thinking is less prevalent in Catholic and Eastern Orthodox theology.

I have much more empathy for my fellow man now that I no longer believe that "God will make everything right in the end." I now realize that any justice must happen in the here and now. If anything I have better morals now then when I was in fundamentalist Christianity.

Old 01-16-2016, 06:37 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
Quote:
A common misconception.

Trust me, my friend, there are many of us who would fit (under the outer perimeter at least) of the believer umbrella, who share your credo.

Whether or not one believes/hopes/thinks there is/not a sentient-ish afterlife makes no nevermind. Job #1 in this life, on this planet, at this time, is to make the best of what you have. To leave an imprint that is a net plus to those within your sphere of influence. To add a ripple that will result in a net benefit to the planet. And thus to the universe.

And mebbe beyond.

Ya' never know...

ETA: Too soon etc.

Old 01-16-2016, 07:11 PM

20,011 posts, read 13,491,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Yes exactly. Or at least the conservative Protestant sects imply that (even though they deny it).
I think they will not only deny it but take quite a bit of umbrage to it, because I don't believe they would accept a believer who carelessly lived in open sin and, in Paul's words, "crucify the son of God anew by subjecting him to public disgrace". However Matadora's basic point is correct, in that the basic teaching of evangelical Christianity puts little emphasis on virtuous action in this life and a great deal of emphasis on correct belief and unquestioning faith. At the same time they are okay if actual virtuous outcomes are deferred indefinitely. This is most easily seen in the widely quoted verse, "all our righteousness is as filthy rags". In other words my virtuous actions in the world mean nothing if they come from me, they must (at least be claimed to) come from god working through me. Therefore only Christians are actually righteous. The thing they don't seem to understand is that if this is true, then Christian UNrighteousness is not all that consequential either. It's popular to say "PBPGINFWMY" -- please be patient, god is not finished with me yet. That is quite a flippant attitude in a world full of human suffering and misery. But why not be flippant ... everyone's life is extended into the indefinite future of the afterlife.

We see this highlighted here when cupper posts his URL of the day pointing out some hypocrisy or malfeasance on the part of some Christian leader, and some believer will bemoan that we are so carping; after all, Christians don't claim to be perfect. Well no, but you can't have it all possible ways. If sin is serious business then Christians cannot preach against it and then nudge-wink at it. Christians, particularly their leaders, should hold themselves to a higher standard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
I have much more empathy for my fellow man now that I no longer believe that "God will make everything right in the end." I now realize that any justice must happen in the here and now. If anything I have better morals now then when I was in fundamentalist Christianity.
Precisely.

Old 01-16-2016, 07:45 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,655,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Perhaps at some point, you to will understand what the citations actually show, and lose the skewed fascination with China.
It's you that's obsessed...you have the skewed fascination. And you prove that constantly.
I don't put up scores of threads (MOF, I've never put up any) saying "Religion On The Rise, Tens of Millions of Atheists Become Religious!"...then link a bunch of the stuff about China.
I just respond to your spin that tries to paint a picture that this world is getting less Religious, when it is the exact opposite that's true.
You post links about the exception...with thread titles typically worded as if it's the rule. I just post the facts about what the truth of the matter really is.

Old 01-16-2016, 09:42 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,926,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
It's you that's obsessed...you have the skewed fascination. And you prove that constantly.
I don't put up scores of threads (MOF, I've never put up any) saying "Religion On The Rise, Tens of Millions of Atheists Become Religious!"...then link a bunch of the stuff about China.
I just respond to your spin that tries to paint a picture that this world is getting less Religious, when it is the exact opposite that's true.
You post links about the exception...with thread titles typically worded as if it's the rule. I just post the facts about what the truth of the matter really is.
You need to accept that most of the things that I post about the decline of religion applies to North America, with some application to Europe.

After all, English is the language that they are posted in, and therefore that is the area they deal with. It is you who always seems to bring out the rest of the world, and in particularly China. Even then the things you bring up are cherry picked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality