Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 02:29 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,928,903 times

Advertisements

The bad news for religions in America just keeps piling on as more and more surveys and report show that less and less people are participating.

Although it has been known for some time that church attendance is declining,a new survey shows that even the act of praying is declining.

The move to reason is accelerating.

7.5 million people left religion since 2012: Three graphs from latest General Social Survey - Corner of Church and State
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 02:33 PM

1,603 posts, read 1,113,996 times
It's hard to attend religious services when they're so watered down it has been diluted of any meaning or significance.

Oh to have a Latin rite mass here.

Old 03-12-2015, 02:37 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,138,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veneficus View Post
It's hard to attend religious services when they're so watered down it has been diluted of any meaning or significance.

Oh to have a Latin rite mass here.
How does conducting a religious service in an ancient language understood only by those conducting the service, add "meaning or significance?"

The point behind Vatican II's introduction of services in modern, regional languages, was so that the audience could actually understand what was being said. How does not understanding what is being said make it more meaningful or significant?

Loco magis sententia in vestri editio.

Old 03-12-2015, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
How does conducting a religious service in an ancient language understood only by those conducting the service, add "meaning or significance?"

The point behind Vatican II's introduction of services in modern, regional languages, was so that the audience could actually understand what was being said. How does not understanding what is being said make it more meaningful or significant?
Liturgical Latin can be learned easily enough.

English is a spectacularly ugly language for liturgical purposes.

For over a millennia we were called the Latin Church for obvious reasons.

I have no desire to "participate" in the Mass as it is in the Novus Ordo form. Simply being there grates on the nerves and assaults the senses.

It is so Protestant I may as well go back to the Presbyterian church of my youth.

The "contemporary" music (ugh) was likely just as awful in the 1970's when it was written as it is now.

No kneelers. The altar looks like it was purchased from Ikea. No incense. Ambience matters.

And last but not least holding hands during Lords Prayer. WTF.

Old 03-12-2015, 02:48 PM

63,822 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Loco magis sententia in vestri editio.
Looks like he isn't likely to do so, Grandstander!

Quote:
Liturgical Latin can be learned easily enough.
English is a spectacularly ugly language for liturgical purposes.
For over a millennia we were called the Latin Church for obvious reasons.
I have no desire to "participate" in the Mass as it is in the Novus Ordo form. Simply being there grates on the nerves and assaults the senses.
It is so Protestant I may as well go back to the Presbyterian church of my youth.
The "contemporary" music (ugh) was likely just as awful in the 1970's when it was written as it is now.
No kneelers. The altar looks like it was purchased from Ikea. No incense. Ambience matters.
And last but not least holding hands during Lords Prayer. WTF.
QED

Old 03-12-2015, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Looks like he isn't likely to do so, Grandstander!
You know that wasn't there while I was replying right?

Quote:
QED
erras dude, erras.

Old 03-12-2015, 03:03 PM

63,822 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
You know that wasn't there while I was replying right?
erras dude, erras.
Tempus non excusat, Dudus

Old 03-12-2015, 03:08 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,986,643 times
Meanwhile my Church in Australia has planted 2 Churches not so long ago in the USA. They Hillsong New York and Hillsong LA. I hear Hillsong New York is one of the biggest Churches in New York today.

In regards to Hillsong New York:
Now, a largely young crowd of 7,000 people line up to attend.
New York City's Hillsong megachurch draws thousands every Sunday - CBS News

In addition there was quite a big turn out for the first official service of Hillsong LA.

In my very church in Australia every week there are new people that give their life to Jesus Christ.

Old 03-12-2015, 03:13 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,596,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
The bad news for religions in America just keeps piling on as more and more surveys and report show that less and less people are participating.

Although it has been known for some time that church attendance is declining,a new survey shows that even the act of praying is declining.

The move to reason is accelerating.

7.5 million people left religion since 2012: Three graphs from latest General Social Survey - Corner of Church and State

ahh, there are lies, damn lies, and statistics... let me guess, they called a few
thousand people who didn't want to bother answering their questions and
from this minute segment - they extrapolate 7.5 million people leaving "religion" in the US !
nope, EVEN WORSE THAN THAT !
did you know this "General Social Survey" is ONLY conducted IN PERSON
at the University of Chicago ? yes, that's right, so we're only talking about Chicagoans.
Oh, and we're only talking about 1,967 participants. Who want to bother spending
90 minutes to fill these forms out. yay ! how valid ! obviously !
The article may say "multi-million dollar", to make it look valid, but that's just
government waste ! The NSF which funds it receives 7 Billion per year and is
a treasured PORK BARREL of kickbacks and special deals !!
Mistrust and meddling unsettles US science agency : Nature News & Comment
National Science Foundation: Under the Microscope - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

NEXT !

Old 03-12-2015, 03:35 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,928,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Meanwhile my Church in Australia has planted 2 Churches not so long ago in the USA. They Hillsong New York and Hillsong LA. I hear Hillsong New York is one of the biggest Churches in New York today.

In regards to Hillsong New York:
Now, a largely young crowd of 7,000 people line up to attend.
New York City's Hillsong megachurch draws thousands every Sunday - CBS News

In addition there was quite a big turn out for the first official service of Hillsong LA.

In my very church in Australia every week there are new people that give their life to Jesus Christ.
Exceptions don't make the rule especially when you are cannibalizing from existing smaller churches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality