Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 10:04 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Uh ... because you're glorifying a blood sacrifice, which was a pagan ritual.

Just ask the Aztecs, unless, of course, God is just Huitzilopochtli in disguise ... wanting those temples atop the ziggurat pyramids, altars painted red and decorated with skulls. Huzzah for blood sacrifices!

I dunnae, sounds pretty pagan to me, especially when your religion's symbol is a torture device.
And the Bible specifically says that Christ is our propitiation. He is the sacrifice that cleanses our sins. One sacrifice for all time. He made the sacrifice, then sat down -- needing no more sacrifices. Unlike the Aztecs...who did multiple sacrifices after sacrifices in a vain attempt to satisfy their false deity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2015, 10:07 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,394,984 times
It tickles my German heritage fancy that perhaps my ancestors may have had something to do with the Easter Bunny tradition.

Old 04-04-2015, 10:16 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,925,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
And that origin of the word is debunked in the article I posted.

I have yet to see you actually provide a reasonable counter-argument for anything I've posted from him.
CARM did not put a Slick spin on debunking Eostre, he agreed it's etymology. He does NOT discuss the practices and traditions Christians adopted from my pagan ancestors. All he says it's OK to use the term now, because there is a Christian soon to it.

Old 04-04-2015, 10:22 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
That was interesting. One thing I didn't know is that there really were some people who claimed that a bunny laid the Easter eggs. I've seen people claim that, but I thought they were just playing stupid. Apparently, the Germans had that as part of their Easter tale. I learn something new every day.

Old 04-04-2015, 10:52 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,925,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That was interesting. One thing I didn't know is that there really were some people who claimed that a bunny laid the Easter eggs. I've seen people claim that, but I thought they were just playing stupid. Apparently, the Germans had that as part of their Easter tale. I learn something new every day.

Yes, I find it intriguing how people to this day will believe ancient myths.

Heck, they even have national holidays celebrating the superstitions of thousands of years ago.

Very intriguing.

Old 04-04-2015, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
CARM did not put a Slick spin on debunking Eostre, he agreed it's etymology. He does NOT discuss the practices and traditions Christians adopted from my pagan ancestors. All he says it's OK to use the term now, because there is a Christian soon to it.
Those Christians also had pagan ancestors. We all did!

Old 04-04-2015, 11:22 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,324,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
And the Bible specifically says that Christ is our propitiation. He is the sacrifice that cleanses our sins. One sacrifice for all time. He made the sacrifice, then sat down -- needing no more sacrifices. Unlike the Aztecs...who did multiple sacrifices after sacrifices in a vain attempt to satisfy their false deity.
Untrue. The Hebrews were practically depopulating the planet of goats and sheep, doves, pigeons, and sparrows - and any other animal they could sink their sacrificial knife into. Especially burnt offerings since God loved the smell of burning flesh.

Nice, huh?

Someone should have gotten him one of those air fresheners you hang in your car - only it would be in the shape of an animal on fire and it would smell like immolated flesh. Dayum, that smells good. Now where's the BBQ sauce? What? It's made in New York City?

(A bunch of Texas ranchers in unison)

New York City?!?!

Old 04-04-2015, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Yes, I find it intriguing how people to this day will believe ancient myths.

Heck, they even have national holidays celebrating the superstitions of thousands of years ago.

Very intriguing.
We do it just to intrigue you, cupper!

Old 04-04-2015, 11:36 AM

Speaking of intriguing holidays, my daughter has off work for three days for Qingming festival, which includes Tomb-sweeping Day. It's a cross between looking forward to spring planting and honoring dead ancestors by tending their graves.

Old 04-04-2015, 11:47 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
That may well be because your definition of "reasonable" differs from most of the rest of the world.
As does his definition of the word "scholar".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality