Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 03:19 PM

22,182 posts, read 19,227,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotagivan View Post

What is imagined is that some G()D from the sky is going to have to force the world of A to become the world of B. Some messiah to fix the world problems. Some superman to do the work for us.

Humans have been made weak by the false promise of messiahs which they gobble up while the storytellers continue to prosper on the hope of a lie, imagined stories of superheroes doing what they themselves are capable of doing, which they don't because the messiah is going to do it for them
those are your words not mine.
my words are about a person choosing between A or B
god doesn't force anyone to do anything, god isn't going to think for you or post for you on City Data.
that is up to us, we choose

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 05-27-2015 at 03:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 04:55 PM

1,422 posts, read 951,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
those are your words not mine.
Correct.

Quote:
my words are about a person choosing between A or B
And my words speak about the reality of this world, and what would be involved in changing this world for the better.

Quote:
god doesn't force anyone to do anything, god isn't going to think for you or post for you on City Data.
that is up to us, we choose.
I don't know what that has to do with the words I posted, apart from agree that no one is going to come along and save us from ourselves, and each other.

As my words said:

The only way the world will ever change is if human beings decide to change it for the better themselves and that won't happen while the bulk of them are investing their faith in the imagined stories of superheroes doing what they themselves are capable of doing, should they see the need to do so, which they don't because the messiah is going to do it for them right?

How are they different from your words said:

Quote:
god doesn't force anyone to do anything, god isn't going to think for you ...
Sounds like the same thing is being said, would you not agree?

Old 05-27-2015, 05:00 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,324,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Eh, you sound like a liberal...
... which makes you sound like a fascist.

Old 05-27-2015, 05:04 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,038,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
... which makes you sound like a fascist.
LOL...Ok, ya got me.......But, I still love ya...

Old 05-27-2015, 05:07 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,324,939 times
Quote:
if you live in World A it's the only life you have, because there is no god and there is no eternity

if you live in World B, since there is a god, there is also eternity after the humans leave their human life
No, not necessarily.

I understand that most people have been raised to associate an afterlife with a god. Because of that, deity worshipers simply cannot even begin to fathom an afterlife that isn't centered around a deity's throne with the rest of us eternally worshiping it.

No.

If there is an afterlife at all, there is just as much of a chance that it is a natural extension of this life (with no god whatsoever) and we all experience it regardless of whether we're good or bad or have joined the right religious cult ... as there is that the afterlife is some big exclusive cosmic club with bouncers at the door booting out people who aren't members so that only the fawning groupies and fanboys enter backstage to bask in the glory of that ass they're supposed to kiss and those boots they're supposed to lick from now until the end of time.

Old 05-27-2015, 05:31 PM

Default My Bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
What do you mean by servant?...
Sorry my bad.

"Crazy Hannibal" is the servant...

Old 05-27-2015, 06:03 PM

Quote:
which world would you choose to live in, you can only pick one, and if you violate the law of the land you are vaporized on the spot.
What is this thing which vaporizes one the spot?

Quote:
Those unable to choose either world are also vaporized on the spot.
So no asking questions about either 'choice' or 'the vaporizer will smite thee'?

What is a 'choice' when questions cannot be asked regarding the choices offered?

A choice which is not a fully informed choice is no choice at all.

If the options can be questioned and as a result the questioner decided that neither world is something they would choose, they are vaporized ?

I don't think this is really a good example of full use of the power of choice. The fact that you are given 2 choices and told to choose one or the other or be vaporized is not really a matter of choice.

Quote:
You have 60 seconds to decide, and are not able to consult with your friends, loved ones, mentor, or religious leaders.
So not only that, but there is no time to examine the options and ask questions about the worlds. I am made a captive and then given 60 seconds to decide between one or the other or be exterminated...

I think I would chose to be vaporized..well no not choose... I would simply remain quiet and realize that the so called choices I am being forced at the threat of death to choose between are not really choices at all...then just past 60 seconds I will be mercifully vaporized by the vaporizing monster machine.

The 'Choices'

Quote:
World A - you are free to feel and express anger, hate, greed, war, dishonesty, deception, oppression, violence, torture, superiority, arrogance, and degradation of any kind. These are in fact the "law of the land" and reign supreme. there is no god in this world, humans make and enforce the laws, there are no religious texts in this world, just various manifestos written by leaders promoting a personal or political agenda.
I would have to think quickly on my feet (obviously I only have 60 seconds) and note that which placed me in this position and is making me choose between this world, another world or vaporization is being dishonest, has expressed violent intentions, is torturing my mind by forcing me to make a big decision based on limited information under the threat of death, most likely hates me and is using its superior position arrogantly thus treating me in a derogatory and oppressive manner - very deceitful indeed.

Quote:
World B - these are forbidden: anger, hate, war, greed, deception, dishonesty, violence, oppression.
the "law of the land" is peace, kindness, contentment, respect, dignity, cooperation, and humbleness. there is a god in this world, but you won't know "which god" until you get there.

Is my 60 seconds up yet?

How could one trust world B to even exist? It most likely would be a test from the wicked ones who have placed me in this position, and if I choose world B they will know that I am not like them and will only ever be the slave to their evil games. They will be the 'god' of world B and it won't be long before world B becomes like world A. Or more than likely, they will laugh in my sorry desperate face for choosing world B when (haha!) it doesn't even exist anyway!...They just made it up to add to the fun they were having at my expense!

That is what I would have to conclude because world B is about peace and contentment and respect and dignity and cooperation and humbleness, all of which are absent in those who are forcing me at the threat of death to make this decision in 60 seconds.

Old 05-27-2015, 06:24 PM

22,182 posts, read 19,227,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotagivan View Post

How could one trust world B to even exist? ... they will laugh in my sorry desperate face for choosing world B when... it doesn't even exist anyway ... because world B is about peace and contentment and respect and dignity and cooperation and humbleness, all of which are absent in those who are forcing me
if you don't believe or trust that peace and kindness are possible and desirable, then you belong in world A; if you decline to make a choice, then you are actually making a choice, and that is to abstain from living in either world.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 05-27-2015 at 07:26 PM..

Old 05-27-2015, 06:32 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,789,447 times
Quote:
if you don't believe or trust that peace and kindness are possible and desirable, then you belong in world A; if you decline to make a choice, then you are actually making a choice, and that is to abstain from living in either world.
You really should not be dishonest like this. You clearly misquoted Rota in order to put words in his mouth. If this was an honest mistake, I suggest you edit your post and show those sentences in their entirety, or mark where you deleted content. Otherwise it makes it look like you don't pay much attention the the part about bearing false witness...

-NoCapo

Old 05-27-2015, 06:50 PM

Quote:
if you don't believe or trust that peace and kindness are possible and desirable, then you belong in world A;
On the contrary. it is indeed my understand of the inner peace and trust I have which (under the situation you designed in your OP) allows me to discern the deception and evilness etc of those forcing me to make a choice under the threat of death.

Thus I KNOW I do not belong in world A and am wise to see that there is nothing trustworthy in those who have held me captive and forced this upon me, so it is MOST LIKELY true that world B does not even exist.

Why would my captives offer me a world B when they are so obviously of world A?

(And how did you miss that in my post?)

Quote:
if you decline to make a choice, then you are actually making a choice, and that is to abstain from living in either world.
Correct. That is the best choice I could make and you know what? Just because I then get incinerated does not mean that I would no longer exist.

What it might mean though is that I am truly free from my oppressors...those you created in your OP.

The interesting part is that YOU do not even see that they are being everything world A signifies. You do not question their morality one little bit. You think it is quite alright that they capture me and force me to make a decision based on scant information and under the duress of the treat of death.

YOU do not seem to be able to register anything wrong with these ones, even that they are so obviously display being dishonest, express violent intentions, torture minds by forcing captives to make a big decision based on limited information under the threat of death, are hateful and are using a superior position arrogantly thus treating the captives in a derogatory and oppressive manner - very deceitful indeed.

So the real question is dear Tzaphkiel is 'how is it you cannot see the obvious problems with this story you concocted and the character deficiencies of that which captures and forces choice onto others under the threat of death?

Pleas explain this to me. I am interested in your ability to perhaps see the forest through the trees and admit that these ones are using their obvious powers very inappropriately.

Tell me why you think such behavior is acceptable and trustworthy.

ETA

And please don;t think this is a personal attack on your integrity Tzaphkiel. I sincerely want you to think about the OP and how you at present think about things. I sincerely would like to see you blossom and bear the fruit of the wisdom of discernment and put aside false notions and make a habit of thoroughly examining everything presented to you as 'truth' and not ever to be afraid to challenge anything calling itself 'truth' by finding what flaws it may hold. It takes a keen eye and a real desire to want to know all truth as being actually true.

Last edited by Rotagivan; 05-27-2015 at 07:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality