Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 01:11 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,483,414 times

Advertisements

Bible: 21Jesus answered, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor"... 23Then Jesus said to his disciples, "I tell you the truth, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. 24Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God." (Matthew 19)

Bush: gives tax breaks to the rich, cuts support for the poor

Bible:
6 But if anyone causes one of these little ones who believe in me to stumble, it would be better for him to have a large millstone hung around his neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea. (Matthew 18)

"Religion that is pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction" (James 1:27)

Bush: refuses to provide health care to impoverished children
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 01:26 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,071,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post

Bush: refuses to provide health care to impoverished children
Oh this should be fun...

define impoverished.

Are children in a family of four impoverished if the family makes $82,600 per year? That was the federal waiver granted to New York to allow those "impoverished" children to participate in SCHIP. Thats 400% above the poverty line.

Give me a break.. I'm no Bush supporter but do a little research first.

Old 01-20-2008, 01:53 PM

485 posts, read 561,662 times
The Bible says nothing about George Bush. It may speak to you, however, if you study it carefully and don't read into it your own preconceptions...

Old 01-20-2008, 02:24 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,516,225 times
Supposedly, Bush claimed God put him in office. But in reality, he had the money,family name and connections to get in.
I wonder why people aren't questioning why he is allowing job and job to leave this country and this is really impacting families, and singles too, in America.
The middle class is being dissolved. Most families of 4 don't earn $82,000.

Old 01-20-2008, 03:36 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,385,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
Oh this should be fun...

define impoverished.

Are children in a family of four impoverished if the family makes $82,600 per year? That was the federal waiver granted to New York to allow those "impoverished" children to participate in SCHIP. Thats 400% above the poverty line.
Give me a break.. I'm no Bush supporter but do a little research first.
Except that:

#1 the $82,600 was never included in the bill and was rejected.

#2 a family of four living on $82,600 really is not that much. I am sure if you looked at the actual costs that the family would have to pay and if they have to pay the premium to cover four people, that could eat up a significant portion of income. And what if the company the family works for does not offer insurance? Premiums for families of four, for example have skyrocketed compared to those for singles. Furthermore, the cost of living in New York is significantly higher compared to many other places in the US. Food costs more, rent and taxes are more.

While it may seem like a lot, after taxes, food, clothing, utilities, if you pay for insurance, you may not have much left after that.

I am not sure why people are so up in arms about that figure. Its not exactly living comfortably. Maybe that salary would be high in many other places, but not the case in New York.

Old 01-20-2008, 04:27 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,627,765 times
And behold, a leader shall arise in the west, he will cause great division and suffering, and his name shall be called PotatoHead.

Old 01-20-2008, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easternerDC View Post
Except that:

#1 the $82,600 was never included in the bill and was rejected.
I know. Bush wanted to keep it at 250%.. thus the rejection

Quote:
Except that:

#2 a family of four living on $82,600 really is not that much.
Tell that to a family of four making $40,000 in New York.

Quote:
Except that:

I am sure if you looked at the actual costs that the family would have to pay and if they have to pay the premium to cover four people, that could eat up a significant portion of income.
Are we now assuming that these are all uninsured people? Making $80,000 a year and uninsured and thus having to purchase insurance on an open market? Yes that would be expensive. Or are they people who don't feel like purchasing subsidized insurance through their employer?

Quote:
Except that:

And what if the company the family works for does not offer insurance?
You have a family.. find another job.

Quote:
Except that:

Premiums for families of four, for example have skyrocketed compared to those for singles.
Are you talking a premium on the open market or through the employer? If through the employer are you asking me.. to cover the difference?

Quote:
Except that:

Furthermore, the cost of living in New York is significantly higher compared to many other places in the US. Food costs more, rent and taxes are more.
Again.. free county.. move to a place where you can afford to live. If you are making $80K a year then I'm sure you can scrape together the necessary funds to move.

Quote:
Except that:

While it may seem like a lot, after taxes, food, clothing, utilities, if you pay for insurance, you may not have much left after that.
And I'm supposed to cover the difference again?

Quote:
Except that:

I am not sure why people are so up in arms about that figure. Its not exactly living comfortably.
And it certainly isn't impoverished either..

Quote:
Except that:

Maybe that salary would be high in many other places, but not the case in New York.
In New York.. or New York state.. because the 400% exemption was for New York State.. all of it.. not just the city.

again.. i have no problem helping someone out.. all men are NOT created equal (contrary to the declaration of independence). However, selling me on the idea that a family making $80K a year is somehow "impoverished".. is lame at best.

Old 01-20-2008, 05:39 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,516,225 times
The rich have always run things. He wasn't really elected, the rich put him in. The rich aren't going to allow us to put one of us common folk in.

Old 01-20-2008, 05:40 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,483,414 times
Bush= a draft dodger who DOUBLES tours of combat troops in Iraq

Old 01-20-2008, 06:00 PM

Nebulous - sweet.. I hope to be rich some day so I can run things..

censusdata - man walks on moon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality