Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 03:04 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
No, you too can marry someone of the same sex if you so choose.
But I don't want to. Your side keeps arguing that it's all about us choosing...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 03:05 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
You not wanting to is not the same as you can't.

You are allowed by law to marry someone of the same sex if you so choose, just like I can now.

Old 07-07-2015, 03:07 PM

Quote:
You not wanting to is not the same as you can't.
Really? Because gay people have been whining for years now that they "can't" get married. Remember? It's why the SCOTUS came down with a really horrible ruling a week ago. The truth was, they have been able to all along, but gullible people have bought into the bad argument.

Old 07-07-2015, 03:08 PM

1,422 posts, read 951,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
The Montana man is already married to the person of his choosing. If he likes, he is free to divorce her and marry this new person. In what way is that not equal to every other person in the US?
Isn't the issue more along the lines that he does not want to divorce anyone in order to marry someone else?

Old 07-07-2015, 03:15 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,323,862 times
Quote:

But you have the choice now. Not the choice to be homosexual or hetersexual but to choose if you wish to marry a man or a woman. One would naturally choose the one they were sexually attracted to. You would not want to give that right up and having to marry a man without having the least bit of attraction to another man. Why do you think some one who has no sexual attraction to some one of the opposite sex should have the choice of not marrying or of marrying someone of a gender they have no attraction to?

You can choose to keep them out of your church, you can choose to not have them for friends, you can choose to disown any family member that marrys the same gender or even choose to disown a family member that disagrees with you about SSM. You do not get to choose on why there are homosexual individuals or what legal rights they can have. Polygamy is a choice and any arguements for it should be based on polygamy and not on SSM.

All sexual relations must be based on consent and legal consent cannot be given by a child, a sheep or a duck.

The laws of a country are of course man made and are intended for all. One group's interpretation of their holy book shall not be the basis of those laws.

Old 07-07-2015, 03:22 PM

1,422 posts, read 951,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
The whole debate is interesting. Honestly, I do not believe in state regulation of marriage. It should be handled by the communities, religious places etc. Any legal issues can be dealt with via contract. The only area where the law should be permitted to intervene is on behalf of children. That's about it.
I agree that state regulation of marriage is nothing much. I think it became the standard because the whole concept of legalized marriage is about ownership and possession and with jealousy and covertness and other such human traits, such thing become matters of state.

States are the extensions of communities so in that sense communities are already handling marriages.

Having it be a matter of religion has its own problems as religions have beliefs about right and wrong and may reject those they see as being wrong and not want those ones to be married.

Legal issues and contracts are exactly why the state is involved.

Children? In matter of community, state, and religion children more often than not are collateral. Collateral Damage.

They grow into adults and contribute to the same.

The real way to protect children is to make sure that there are no institutions involved with children which can hide them selves from the eyes of the world and that we all recognize just exactly what is abuse of children and make sure that those things are never allowed to happen in the first place.

We are mostly continuing to deal with the abused rather than the abuse.

Like the proverbial ambulance at the bottom of the cliff.

Old 07-07-2015, 03:26 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
Quote:
Really? Because gay people have been whining for years now that they "can't" get married. Remember? It's why the SCOTUS came down with a really horrible ruling a week ago. The truth was, they have been able to all along, but gullible people have bought into the bad argument.
No, we have been fighting to have the sex restriction removed so we can marry someone of the same sex.

You claimed that Gays can marry someone of the same sex, but you can't. I showed you that you CAN marry someone of the same sex if you so choose, there is no law stopping you.

Old 07-07-2015, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
But you have the choice now.
So what?
Quote:

Not the choice to be homosexual or hetersexual but to choose if you wish to marry a man or a woman. One would naturally choose the one they were sexually attracted to. You would not want to give that right up and having to marry a man without having the least bit of attraction to another man. Why do you think some one who has no sexual attraction to some one of the opposite sex should have the choice of not marrying or of marrying someone of a gender they have no attraction to?
You do realize that for many many many years in human history people got married for myriad reasons OTHER than sexual attraction, right? I personally know of people that are happily married in arranged marriages.
Quote:
You can choose to keep them out of your church, you can choose to not have them for friends, you can choose to disown any family member that marrys the same gender or even choose to disown a family member that disagrees with you about SSM.
I've never suggested a gay person was not welcome in my church, or that I'd have them as friends. Why would you think that?
Quote:
You do not get to choose on why there are homosexual individuals or what legal rights they can have. Polygamy is a choice and any arguements for it should be based on polygamy and not on SSM.
So why do you believe gay people get to dictate the legal rights of straight people? Especially Christians?
Quote:
All sexual relations must be based on consent and legal consent cannot be given by a child, a sheep or a duck.
For now, at least. But I fully expect that to change in the future now that common sense is not the basis of law.
Quote:

The laws of a country are of course man made and are intended for all. One group's interpretation of their holy book shall not be the basis of those laws.
Again...a non-sequitur. Can you stay on point?

Old 07-07-2015, 03:28 PM

Quote:
No, we have been fighting to have the sex restriction removed so we can marry someone of the same sex.
Why is that important? You've always been able to marry.
Quote:
You claimed that Gays can marry someone of the same sex, but you can't. I showed you that you CAN marry someone of the same sex if you so choose, there is no law stopping you.
I don't want to. Why would I? That's not normal. Marriage is, by definition, a union between a man and woman -- a bride and groom.

But what about a bisexual man? Can he marry one of each? If it's just based on sexual desire..what happens when someone wants one of each?

Old 07-07-2015, 03:30 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
That is entirely true, of course. Now, SSM is a form of marriage that is not available to someone like me. So, in essence, gay people now have a special form of marriage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
You have the right to marry someone of the same gender, so how is that not available to you?
Quote:
No, you too can marry someone of the same sex if you so choose.
Hoist with his own petard!

Beautiful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality