Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2015, 02:45 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,734,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattClyde View Post
here are the top 40 nations by HIV prevalence among adults. Clearly Africa must be very gay. Except that there's only one country in Africa which recognizes gay marriage, South Africa, and they legalized it only in 2006. Must be the work of the gay agenda to poison Africa no?

Source: https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat.../2155rank.html

The deplorable healthcare conditions are a huge factor in the spread of HIV in Africa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2015, 02:49 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,279,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
The deplorable healthcare conditions are a huge factor in the spread of HIV in Africa.
Gays are more severely affected. I wonder how it is in other parts of the world.

Gay and Bisexual Men | HIV by Group | HIV/AIDS | CDC

Old 07-14-2015, 02:49 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
Doesn't matter if the cake was sold to a religious person who will have a meeting with people to talk about how homosexuality is a sin.
Sounds like a meeting only a fundamentalist would enjoy.

"Would you like another slice?" "Yes...I'll have more coffee too. I find discussions about disease and body parts so interesting....don't you?"

Old 07-14-2015, 02:52 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,896,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
Since KKK membership isn't a protected class, the
bakers are free to do whatever they want in that situation.
As I already stated, the law and protected classes are irrelevant in this philosophical debate about whether people ought to have to participate in an event that offends, morally, religiously, or otherwise.
Quote:
Feel free to explain how civil rights laws are a bad thing.
There has to be a balance. People have religious Rights as well. So where's the balance? Would we even be having this discussion if these were Islamic bakers instead of Christian balers? I doubt it.
Quote:
Which was coincidentally the same time the baker learned the customer was gay.
Funny how that works - the only people who are going to be refused service
because they're having a gay wedding is gay people. Pretending there was some
reason other than the orientation of the customer at the heart of the
discrimination is pretty nonsensical.
We have no idea if those bakers would have made them a birthday cake, even though they are gay. It wasn't the orientation of the customer, it was the event.

Old 07-14-2015, 02:53 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,279,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Sounds like a meeting only a fundamentalist would enjoy.

"Would you like another slice?" "Yes...I'll have more coffee too. I find discussions about disease and body parts so interesting....don't you?"
You are right. We can say that of whoever buys the cake "Look at those dumb religious people...look at those nasty perverted LGTB...look at those ignorant democrats/republicans..." and so on. The point is it doesn't matter if the cake is sold to WHOEVER regardless of what they do with it: gays, adults with their teenage lover, religious people, democrats/republicans, etc. sell the cake and move on.

Old 07-14-2015, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
And use of police, fire fighters, the court systems, credit and banking, government currency, the road systems, sewer and water, and so on.
So because I also can make good use of all those services, I also, as a person, must belong to the public..... right? If when I file my tax returns and file for deductions an tax credits, that means I belong to the public? The public owns me?

Old 07-14-2015, 02:57 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post

That is a very valid point. It is more than the healthcare conditions, the lack of respect for women is another from what I have read.

I think the point of the list is most African countries do not support same sex marriage (only one on the list has it I believe) and at least one on that list (Uganda at number 10) has made it illegal to have sex wih the same gender. And they almost made that act a capital offence.

Better education, more stable relationships (same sex marriages), less outcasting by family members should all led to lower rates in our countries. Not baking a cake for two women will do nothing at all on the health issues you and Vizio have brought up.

The one thing that neither of you have brought up in this thread, if same sex marriage is wrong because the Bible says that homosexual acts are immoral, is stopping same sex marriage sufficient in your minds as it will not stop the acts (if fact the two of you argue that it will not even lead to more stable and long term relationships) why are you not going like Uganda and advocating the acts themselves to be criminal or at least a sin punishable by imprisionment?

Old 07-14-2015, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Jeff,

Taking the Lord's name in vain is a sin. And yet it's completely legal. Why not start a campaign to jail people who say "godammit" in public?
Because freedom of speech is also a right, along with freedom FROM religion.

You have to balance all peoples Rights against each other.

But that's the problem.... you people have no problem just ignoring the Rights you don't like.

Old 07-14-2015, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
You REALLY need to stop making the fallacy of "begging the question". It is not fact that homosexuals are "born that way". There is no proof of it. It's not proven.

Having said that, you may cite anecdotal evidence to suggest it is. I will respond that there are a LOT of compulsions that people are said to have been born with. Should we ignore the ramifications of many of those bad things?
And this is why no rational conversation can ever be had with religious Conservatives about homosexuality.

Until they can accept what homosexuality actually is, there's no point in going any further.

Old 07-14-2015, 03:07 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,734,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
A 7.8% decrease between 2011 and 2012 and a 18.2% decrease between 2012 and 2004 the year before same sex marriage. That sounds like a decrease in cases in Canada. Most likely the first to get married are those in long term relationships and the ones most likely to be infected are younger men, same as younger heterosexual people tend to have more relationships than older hetrosexual ones.

At a Glance - HIV and AIDS in Canada: Surveillance Report to December 31st, 2012 - Public Health Agency of Canada

Its a governement of Canada web site and our government is lead by an evangelical Christian before you discount the source.
I would like to see more data before drawing a firm conclusion, but looks like I could be wrong. However,
this article doesn't seem to agree:

Quote:

At the end of 2011 there were an estimated 71,300 people in Canada living with HIV - up from 57,000 in 2005. 1 Of these, around 25% were unaware of their infection. It is estimated that about 3,175 new HIV infections occured in Canada in 2011, which is roughly the same as the figure for 2008. - See more at: Canada HIV & AIDS Statistics | AVERT
Canada HIV & AIDS Statistics | AVERT

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post

From Europe

A cumulative total of 418,100 HIV infections had been diagnosed in Western Europe by the end of 2011. This considerably understates the true figure because not all HIV infections have been diagnosed or reported. This is partly because many people do not know that they are infected. The male-to-female ratio in 2011 was 2.9.Of the reported 26,204 people diagnosed with HIV in Western Europe in 2011:37.9% acquired HIV through heterosexual contact;40.1% became infected through male-to-male sexual contact;4.2% became infected through injecting drug use;0.8% was via mother-to-child transmission;10.1% were 15 to 24 years old;and for 16.7% transmission was unknown - See more at: European HIV & AIDS Statistics | AVERT

European HIV & AIDS Statistics | AVERT

Could you be so kind to supply your source as I had trouble finding changes in rates for Europe.
Well i wanted to look at a specific country where SSM has been legal for the longest. When I looked at Denmark, here is one website that looks like the trend is increasing, not decreasing.

HIV, AIDS and general life expectancy statistis for Denmark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality