Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 11:12 AM

1,422 posts, read 951,351 times

Advertisements

Flags mean different things to different people and the attitude of tribalism is still current, with all its separatism intact.

Flags give people some kind of national identity and a feeling of belonging to that nation.

Having pride in ones country and being patriotic serves politics.

There is no sane reason that I have heard as to why people should have pride in any country, certainly America is not the exception.

People can be both proud and insulted by a flag depending on what the policies the country the flag represents has done to/for them.

Americans seem infatuated by their flag but since it is a symbol they are taught to revere and honor, and sing about as 'Old Glory' and even once believed they were 'The Greatest Nation on Earth' (like its a competition or something) one can understand the reason for such bizarre behavior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2015, 11:26 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Pastors Fly Christian Flags Above U.S. Flag to Start "God Before Government" Campaign -
Since the flag is on private property and it's clearly protected by the First Amendment he can do what he wants. No one from the government will be knocking on the door of the church telling him he has to change how the flags are displayed. A U.S. Marine (or a Cub Scout) might tell him he's in violation of the Flag Code...... but other than that.... he can make his statement and the rest of us can keep living our lives.

Old 07-16-2015, 11:37 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,920,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Since the flag is on private property and it's clearly protected by the First Amendment he can do what he wants. No one from the government will be knocking on the door of the church telling him he has to change how the flags are displayed. A U.S. Marine (or a Cub Scout) might tell him he's in violation of the Flag Code...... but other than that.... he can make his statement and the rest of us can keep living our lives.
I just wonder when all the right wing patriots that usually pop up in this forum will say anything about this? Or has the code of ormerta got them silenced.

Old 07-16-2015, 12:27 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,323,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
That is very understandable.

People who are not proud of their country usually do not fly the flag.

That is a very American centric view and demeaning to people in other countries. In my eyes Americans are proud of their country and wish to display its symbols and flag as much as they can and to verbally claim their pride. In many other countries people are proud of their country but view the overtly patrisim to lack class. Both views are valid in my mind. I am proud of my country and may put up a minn flag on Canada Day but for what reason do I need to tell my fellow Canadians everyday that I am proud of my country?

I am sorry but your statement reads to me that there is only one way to be proud of your country. I say there are many ways and none of them are wrong. Different cultures are quite simply different that is why they are different cultures. To me all the flags on houses in the States seems over the top but as that is the culture there so be it, it is not the way we do things here and not what I saw too much in Scotland either.

I cannot think of any church here that has a Canadian or religious flag on it or even a flag pole. I think the church making a rude statement about a court ruling should be considered political speech.

Old 07-16-2015, 12:32 PM

1,807 posts, read 1,891,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
It's not enforced because it's a code of conduct and there is no method for enforcement nor any penalties set.
Federal Law 18 USC Section 700 is responsible for enforcing the Flag Code, so yes, there are methods of enforcement and penalties. It's considered a first amendment issue, so it's (generally) not enforced.

Old 07-16-2015, 12:52 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
I'm not familiar with them. What might they be?
Never mind, I can look it up.
I looked further.......

Criminal penalties for certain acts of desecration to the flag were contained in Title 18 of the United States Code prior to 1989. The Supreme Court decision in Texas v. Johnson; June 21, 1989, held the statute unconstitutional. This statute was amended when the Flag Protection Act of 1989 (Oct. 28, 1989) imposed a fine and/or up to I year in prison for knowingly mutilating, defacing, physically defiling, maintaining on the floor or trampling upon any flag of the United States. The Flag Protection Act of 1989 was struck down by the Supreme Court decision, United States vs. Eichman, decided on June 11, 1990

http://www.usflag.org/us.code36.html

Last edited by old_cold; 07-16-2015 at 01:01 PM.. Reason: added last line

Old 07-16-2015, 01:04 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
In recent months the US government has made it clear that they are not really interested in protecting religious freedoms. I can see the reason that a person would be discouraged and fly the US flag below the Christian flag.

Having said that, we do live in the US, and I think that I would respect the US Flag etiquette. In my church we have both displayed in accordance with proper etiquette.

Old 07-16-2015, 01:34 PM

16,673 posts, read 15,668,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
In recent months the US government has made it clear that they are not really interested in protecting religious freedoms. I can see the reason that a person would be discouraged and fly the US flag below the Christian flag.

Having said that, we do live in the US, and I think that I would respect the US Flag etiquette. In my church we have both displayed in accordance with proper etiquette.
"In recent months the US government has made it clear that they are not really interested in protecting religious freedoms."

What specific religious freedom (you know, something mentioned in some Christian denomination's crede statement of faith) was protected last year that is not protected now?

Old 07-16-2015, 01:42 PM

18,492 posts, read 9,159,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
"In recent months the US government has made it clear that they are not really interested in protecting religious freedoms."

What specific religious freedom (you know, something mentioned in some Christian denomination's crede statement of faith) was protected last year that is not protected now?
The Christian Right defines "religious freedom" as the right to impose their religion on everyone else.

Old 07-16-2015, 02:28 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
The Christian Right defines "religious freedom" as the right to impose their religion on everyone else.
Yep.

And when denied, they get their panties all in a bunch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality