Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2009, 01:55 PM

4,498 posts, read 6,314,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The religions are man-made . . . the words are interpreted impressions of a right brain nature (inspired) cast into the cultural milieu of the individuals receiving the inspirations. You have similar sensitivity and should be able to understand the imprecise nature of the phenomena and the difficulty of translating them into words (you have to use the symbolism of the Taro cards and the typical word translations to accomplish this using your intuition.) The qualifications placed on God by man are just that . . . and your "totally absorbed" is just an extreme characterization typically used to provide a reason to discredit ANY involvement or concern. Our fascination with using "either/or" extremes is such a foolish quirk. I prefer to see the impetus for this as a manifestation of our awareness, itself . . . a spiritual embryo receiving (but not understanding) guidance from God . . . to each his/her own. I would agree in principle . . . as regards religion . . . but characteriziing the primitive renderings as "fairy stories" is unnecessarily pejorative. They were completely sincere and believable recordings for the minds that produced them. The foolishness of retaining them in their original form without applying our advanced understanding to them is the fault of religion and its leaders . . . who had different agendas than understanding God . . . hence the over-emphasis on laws and interpretations of laws instead of such understanding.
I was probably a little harsh calling them fairy stories and yes I do understand what you are saying. I did not mean to imply they were insincere merely that they written with the purpose to instruct, just as stories are written for children to explain moral concepts.

The tarot is a kind of pictorial psychology. It tracks the journey of the soul through various mundane and spiritual experiences that we all have at one time or another. It also depicts the Fool (or undeveloped soul) on his path through this life. It uses archetypes and images that resonate with the subconscious and trigger memory and intuition. How the cards fall in a manner that is pertinent to the individual can not be fully explained yet but there is some very interesting science on the subject which goes some way toward an explanation and I believe science will explain everything in nature in the end.

There is a lot in this world that cannot be explained and I agree with you on many things but in this instance I really believe that religions (not the concept of god, karma or the journey of the soul) came about in the way I described. It really is just my opinion. I don't feel that we need religion anymore. I think it was a useful tool in primitive society to create order. I think that the individual has much more potential than organised religion allows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 02:25 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,047,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Ice View Post
There is a lot in this world that cannot be explained and I agree with you on many things but in this instance I really believe that religions (not the concept of god, karma or the journey of the soul) came about in the way I described. It really is just my opinion. I don't feel that we need religion anymore. I think it was a useful tool in primitive society to create order. I think that the individual has much more potential than organised religion allows.
We don't disagree about this, Lady Ice. Unfortunately . . . everyone does not have the maturity or motivation to pursue their potential absent external encouragement and fellowship . . . one of the reasons for the proliferation of weight watchers, spas, exercise classes,etc. etc.

Old 01-30-2009, 02:53 PM

4,511 posts, read 7,518,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
We don't disagree about this, Lady Ice. Unfortunately . . . everyone does not have the maturity or motivation to pursue their potential absent external encouragement and fellowship . . . one of the reasons for the proliferation of weight watchers, spas, exercise classes,etc. etc.

... which, btw, seem to concentrate as just another "religion"!
sounds bitchy, but is so imho.

Old 01-30-2009, 03:00 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,379,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
How could it be a failed prophecy when the prophecy is being fulfilled in our own time? And according to the Bible, this prophecy would be fulfilled when the nations of the East could raise up an army of 200 million men. This could not of occured in the past, the only time this prophecy could be fulfilled is in our own time.
Aren't you mixing your prophecies? I thought the 200 gazillion (hyperbole) men is mentioned in Revelations not Ezekiel.

Edited to add:

Sorry ptsum, I'll get back on topic.

Last edited by Ceist; 01-30-2009 at 03:24 PM..

Old 01-30-2009, 03:22 PM

4,498 posts, read 6,314,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by effie briest View Post
... which, btw, seem to concentrate as just another "religion"!
sounds bitchy, but is so imho.

Give is this day our daily intake of precisely proportioned, high fibre, low calorie bread.
And give us our treadmills, as we forgive those on the treadmill before us.

Old 01-30-2009, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Ice View Post
Give is this day our daily intake of precisely proportioned, high fibre, low calorie bread.
And give us our treadmills, as we forgive those on the treadmill before us.
If only it were like prayer.
No, it's preaching and pounding: you should and you must, and if not, then such and such will happen, and it's all your fault anyway.

From formidable pulpits which mediocrazy provides.

Speaking strictly only for this end of the world and imho.

Last edited by effie g-tad; 01-30-2009 at 03:36 PM.. Reason: avoid misunderstanding

Old 01-30-2009, 04:47 PM

7,628 posts, read 10,968,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
Campbell, would appreciate it if you would take your prophesies somewhere else, it's off-topic here and doesn't belong in this thread, the subject of this thread has nothing to do with prophecies Thank you.
Well the topic was that man created God. If man created the God of the Bible, then all the prophecies of the Bible should be false. Now I don't blame you for not wanting to hear the truth of those prophecies. Because if those prophecies are true, then the idea that man created God is what is in (ERROR). The prophecies are right on target, and I believe you want to ignore that kind of evidence. Because that truth is a real problem for the theory that man created God. And of course your denial of those prophecies is the only way you could win an arguement. Your best and only defense, is (CENSORSHIP). The truth of those prophecies has everything to do with the subject of this thread.

Old 01-30-2009, 05:05 PM

wearing earplugs, mister?

please remove them and listen, perhaps you can interlink something positive from what's being said here.
in the mind, mind you. please. pretty-please.

Old 01-31-2009, 08:43 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,655,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Well the topic was that man created God. If man created the God of the Bible, then all the prophecies of the Bible should be false. Now I don't blame you for not wanting to hear the truth of those prophecies. Because if those prophecies are true, then the idea that man created God is what is in (ERROR). The prophecies are right on target, and I believe you want to ignore that kind of evidence. Because that truth is a real problem for the theory that man created God. And of course your denial of those prophecies is the only way you could win an arguement. Your best and only defense, is (CENSORSHIP). The truth of those prophecies has everything to do with the subject of this thread.
Get down off your soapbox and take your preaching about the prophecies somewhere else, personally I don't care whether you believe it's true or not, this thread was never intended for anything to do with prophecies, it is an attempt at an intelligent discussion as to whether the existence of a God is a creation of man or not, has absolutely nothing to do with your holy book or anyone's holy book, the topic of prophecies was never brought up until you decided to stand up on your soapbox and start preaching about them, which seems to be the case in every single thread that you happen to insert yourself in, quit going around like a horse with blinders on, you're prophecies preaching is off-topic in this thread and if that is the only thing that you can preach about go somewhere else and let the rest of us intelligent individuals have a decent and enlightening conversation about the existence of a God.

Old 01-31-2009, 10:17 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,111,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
And now we come to the second half of the statement. The first half was, God didn't create man,Man created god, second-half of statement, To explain the unexplained, the superstition.

So let's hear your thoughts and opinions on this, but please let's remember, be respectful of others opinions and thoughts.

I am one of those folks who doesn't see the world as black or white...where it can only be God or Science... and whether man created God or not is inconsequential to me...because I believe, that beleif gives me something to root my feelings and fears in.

To explain the unexplained, some of the most intellegent men in history turned to God and Science for knowledge...Men like Plato and Socrates and Einstein. Since humans began thinking rational, intellegent thoughts, he began thinking "Why am I here & how did it happen?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality