Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2009, 06:21 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,411,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
Of course they would. "The Bible" views women as second class citizens. Men control the church. There are few positions open to women in the church. Men are expected to control their wives and keep them quiet.
Even more than that. There used to be plenty of Goddesses, until the Hebrews got rid of their other gods and decided to create ONE GOD "YWEH" who had all male qualities and was like a harsh disciplinarian "father" figure.
This patricarchal culture created a patriarchal god who resembled them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 07:57 PM

7,628 posts, read 10,983,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Mind View Post
thats basically it in a nutshell, but the religious fanatics will come and start the flaming...
Well if your mind is not wandering, can you explain how the men who wrote the Bible were able to fortell the future? If the God of the Bible was just a made up belief by men, how do you explain their ability to predict the future? For the Bible is just filled with accurate predictions about future events.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:02 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,411,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Well if your mind is not wandering, can you explain how the men who wrote the Bible were able to fortell the future? If the God of the Bible was just a made up belief by men, how do you explain their ability to predict the future? For the Bible is just filled with accurate predictions about future events.
What is more likely?

Ezekiel talking about a distant time 2600 years in the future to the tribe of Judah who were, at the time, living in exile amongst the Babylonians?

OR

Ezekiel trying to help the exiled Judeans stay true to their god by giving them a reason why they had been punished (by their exile and capture); and giving them hope that if they obey their god's laws and not worship other gods, their god would (in the not too distant future) lead them back home to a glorious future. And of course all the other lands that had been mean to them, would also get their come uppance.

In my opinion it was just another failed prophecy.

Last edited by Ceist; 01-29-2009 at 09:25 PM..

Old 01-30-2009, 12:03 AM

33,579 posts, read 37,215,319 times
Quote:
Actually there is no real prophesy in the bible unless you manage to twist the words to suit your belief that there is...Nostradamus did a better job, but his were almost a vague as the bibles predictions. No body can see the future.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:28 AM

4,498 posts, read 6,324,123 times
So....what was the question? I think it was this.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
And now we come to the second half of the statement. The first half was, God didn't create man,Man created god, second-half of statement, To explain the unexplained, the superstition.

So let's hear your thoughts and opinions on this, but please let's remember, be respectful of others opinions and thoughts.

My thoughts on this. I think man created religion, not necessarily God. It depends on your idea of God. If you are talking about the God of any particular religion then yes I would agree man created that God and put words in his mouth.

I cannot say for absolute certainty that there is nothing there.I do believe in spirit. I see spirit in life itself, not as some all knowing, all judging entity that is totally absorbed with the doings (bad or good) of man.

I think the gods of various religions were created to provide consequence for behaviour that was anti-social or detrimental to order within the community. Also to personify the archetypes that exist in all human experience and last but not least to explain the as yet unexplainable.

As society develops and correct behaviour is enforced through law (unrelated to religion), the archetypes are relegated to psychology and science explains more and more, the need for religion becomes less and less. This is simply evolution and a natural maturation from the childish need for fairy stories to the more mature quest for personal growth and responsibility.

Old 01-30-2009, 05:45 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,080,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
Interesting statement, but only half of the full statement, let me explain,a couple years ago I was sitting with a group of about 20 individuals and we were talking about different religions and I brought the statement up and asked everybody to think about it before I completed the rest of the statement, now mind you these were people of all different types of religions and beliefs, so now I bring this statement here, but only the first half for now and I welcome all of your thoughts on this. So let the process begin, but let's be respectful of everyone's opinion and thoughts here.
nope. wrong. But I respect your right to be wrong.

Old 01-30-2009, 06:46 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,983,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
What is more likely?

Ezekiel talking about a distant time 2600 years in the future to the tribe of Judah who were, at the time, living in exile amongst the Babylonians?

OR

Ezekiel trying to help the exiled Judeans stay true to their god by giving them a reason why they had been punished (by their exile and capture); and giving them hope that if they obey their god's laws and not worship other gods, their god would (in the not too distant future) lead them back home to a glorious future. And of course all the other lands that had been mean to them, would also get their come uppance.

In my opinion it was just another failed prophecy.
How could it be a failed prophecy when the prophecy is being fulfilled in our own time? And according to the Bible, this prophecy would be fulfilled when the nations of the East could raise up an army of 200 million men. This could not of occured in the past, the only time this prophecy could be fulfilled is in our own time.

Old 01-30-2009, 08:20 AM

63,985 posts, read 40,262,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Ice View Post
My thoughts on this. I think man created religion, not necessarily God. It depends on your idea of God. If you are talking about the God of any particular religion then yes I would agree man created that God and put words in his mouth.
The religions are man-made . . . the words are interpreted impressions of a right brain nature (inspired) cast into the cultural milieu of the individuals receiving the inspirations. You have similar sensitivity and should be able to understand the imprecise nature of the phenomena and the difficulty of translating them into words (you have to use the symbolism of the Taro cards and the typical word translations to accomplish this using your intuition.)
Quote:
I cannot say for absolute certainty that there is nothing there.I do believe in spirit. I see spirit in life itself, not as some all knowing, all judging entity that is totally absorbed with the doings (bad or good) of man.
The qualifications placed on God by man are just that . . . and your "totally absorbed" is just an extreme characterization typically used to provide a reason to discredit ANY involvement or concern. Our fascination with using "either/or" extremes is such a foolish quirk.
Quote:
I think the gods of various religions were created to provide consequence for behaviour that was anti-social or detrimental to order within the community. Also to personify the archetypes that exist in all human experience and last but not least to explain the as yet unexplainable.
I prefer to see the impetus for this as a manifestation of our awareness, itself . . . a spiritual embryo receiving (but not understanding) guidance from God . . . to each his/her own.
Quote:
As society develops and correct behaviour is enforced through law (unrelated to religion), the archetypes are relegated to psychology and science explains more and more, the need for religion becomes less and less. This is simply evolution and a natural maturation from the childish need for fairy stories to the more mature quest for personal growth and responsibility.
I would agree in principle . . . as regards religion . . . but characteriziing the primitive renderings as "fairy stories" is unnecessarily pejorative. They were completely sincere and believable recordings for the minds that produced them. The foolishness of retaining them in their original form without applying our advanced understanding to them is the fault of religion and its leaders . . . who had different agendas than understanding God . . . hence the over-emphasis on laws and interpretations of laws instead of such understanding.

Old 01-30-2009, 08:55 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,676,615 times
Quote:
How could it be a failed prophecy when the prophecy is being fulfilled in our own time? And according to the Bible, this prophecy would be fulfilled when the nations of the East could raise up an army of 200 million men. This could not of occured in the past, the only time this prophecy could be fulfilled is in our own time.
Campbell, would appreciate it if you would take your prophesies somewhere else, it's off-topic here and doesn't belong in this thread, the subject of this thread has nothing to do with prophecies Thank you.

Old 01-30-2009, 09:02 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,676,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
nope. wrong. But I respect your right to be wrong.
Explain to me how the above statement, which was a mere observation on my part among some individuals of whom I was personally witness to, could be right or wrong. The statement for which you have responded to does not require an answer on anyone's part and I would think it was very presumptuous of you to think that it was necessary since you were not witness to this congregation of people. Perhaps you are responding just for the sake of yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality