Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2009, 10:28 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
Don't you mean the "catholic church disagrees with a lot of the basic fundamentals of protestantism?"
What he really means is that the Catholic Church disagrees with Christianity as he understands it. And of course, he understands it. People with different perspectives do not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2009, 05:45 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,870,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by effie briest View Post
to op's statement:

it irks me when people shun what they do not even want to understand.
when people shun what they do not even WANT to understand....

Well, I do know this goes to both parties.... so you irk yourself sometimes???

I have read this entire thread, as a Catholic. I have to say, I am impressed the tone has remained as civil as it has.... I give KUDOS to all the posters involved. It irks me as well, when I have joined in a thread and feel I cannot share I am a Catholic because I will be harassed or told I am not a Chirstian. Most of you might know me from the Prayer Thread... I am there often, and pray daily.... I Do say the Hail Mary... but have NEVER in my life heard of or said that prayer to Mary that one poster mentioned. Please, understand we do not pray TO Mary. I know a lot of people "DO NOT WANT TO UNDERSTAND" our church's teaching out of fear of accepting the fact that we are not evil or as corrupt as other churches might have been teaching....

for instance... My uncle was a priest in Bolivia through MARYKNOLL. Maryknoll: THE U.S. CATHOLIC MISSION MOVEMENT He lived among the people, living in the most minimal of accomidations- huts and cots, dirt floors, illnesses and no doctors.... he had lived through revolutions and disease.... but in the 30 some years he never left (until he had a stroke and was brought home to be cared for)....

I also know we have such Christian Organizations as FOOD FOR THE POOR come to our Church and talk to us.... educating us.... asking us for donation...why would we do that if we were not Christian and believed such things?

Then every Diocese has the Catholic Family Service which is a private not-for-profit agency that provides a wide range of services for those individuals in need.... no matter what your situation... no matter WHO you are.... Example:Catholic Family Center

Then there is Catholiic Charities who helps provide Housing.... Catholic Charities USA - The Home is the Foundation

Anyway.... I could go on all day with this... listing the good the Church does... but as the previous poster stated...

Quote:
to op's statement:

it irks me when people shun what they do not even want to understand.

Old 05-17-2009, 06:03 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,521,494 times
i sure do, but never-ever without good reason or with malignant intent!

Old 05-17-2009, 06:13 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,870,333 times
Quote:
i sure do, but never-ever without good reason or with malignant intent!

Or because you do not want to understand?

... I understand your great disdain for those individuals who attend the Church. You have made that OBVIOUSLY clear many times... I know your opinion..... and your lack for WANTING to understand..... There are few things that will get me worked up and visibly upset on here.... but people telling me I do not believe in Jesus Christ is one of them..... I am a Christian..... and proud of it....

Old 05-17-2009, 07:04 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,521,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
Or because you do not want to understand?

... I understand your great disdain for those individuals who attend the Church.

if it is i who caused you such an understanding, this would be very regrettable. i try to challenge intents expressed in opinions supposedly being truth from a higher authority called god in order to coerce whomever into obedience, docile following and submission.
that this has nothing to do with church attendance per se, should be self-understood.
(imho, used excessively!)

You have made that OBVIOUSLY clear many times...

and since either attacked (rather seldom) or ignored (mostly) with the accusatory excuse of my language not being understandable and/or causing confusion, the impression of it SEEMING so can safely, but not truly, manifest ....!!!

given the limitations of online discussions (we do not know each other, cannot see and hear each other), complex thinking on impressions coming from words only can be very misleading, and i try to include this in all my considerations, before posting.
no personal attacks, no unjustifiable insinuations!

I know your opinion..... and your lack for WANTING to understand.....

and i know this to be an indirect attack and extremely dangerous: you may want me to be left to the market forces to decide my futher fate!

There are few things that will get me worked up and visibly upset on here.... but people telling me I do not believe in Jesus Christ is one of them..... I am a Christian..... and proud of it....
no problem with that. i think you would find no proof in any of my posts saying otherwise.

peace? PEACE!

Old 06-05-2017, 07:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,145 times
Bibles used by Catholics differ in the number and order of books from those typically found in bibles used by Protestants, as Catholic bibles remained unchanged following the Reformation and so retain seven books that were rejected principally by Martin Luther.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathol...ristian_Bibles

Martin Luther was a devout Catholic Monk who became outraged and as a result revolted against the Catholic Church.

Amazing video's that address the true history of Christianity are below
Please see following video's

A Lamp in the Dark
and
Tare's among the Wheat

Those will give you a good idea of the differences!

Old 06-05-2017, 10:24 PM

23,165 posts, read 10,455,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Seriously. I used to sit in a location at work not far from the desk of a Methodist minister's son. He liked to talk about Christianity. He seemed to hold it in a different light and make an off-handed comment about Catholics not being Christian.

I kept it to myself but thought it was so stupid that I couldn't get mad.

To me, any religion whose scriptural works are ONLY and BOTH the Old Testament and the New Testament, with the emphasis that your faith is put in practice largely through the New Testament, is a Christian religion. Period.

I'm not a religious expert, but I don't know what to make of religions that profess to be Christian but have OTHER books. I just don't know.

So, are Catholics Christians in your mind?

Christians who keep Christmas and Easter, and Sunday as the Sabbath prove with out any doubt that they are in fact, Catholic.

No Protestant who keeps what is wholly Catholic law instituted by the church can say he is not Catholic what ever he says, he is Catholic if he keeps Christmas, Easter, and the Sunday Sabbath.

He proves WITHOUT A DOUBT who his AUTHORITY is ABOVE GOD, what the Catholic's instituted was their own law where they had all the authority to change or omit any of the word of God they chose, even to invalidating the worship system of God to institute their own feasts, with their own laws concerning their own people who kept the laws of the Catholic church in all it's Holy days and traditions with it's Sabbaths which are all separated from the ways of God and appointed accordingly not to fall on the Holy feasts of God.

What every Protestant follows is wholly Catholic proving without a doubt that they are Catholic, I have explained this to the members of my own family who speak against Catholics and when they speak against Catholics, they speak against themselves.

Old 06-06-2017, 11:19 PM

3,803 posts, read 2,999,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faithhopeful View Post
Bibles used by Catholics differ in the number and order of books from those typically found in bibles used by Protestants, as Catholic bibles remained unchanged following the Reformation and so retain seven books that were rejected principally by Martin Luther.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathol...ristian_Bibles

Martin Luther was a devout Catholic Monk who became outraged and as a result revolted against the Catholic Church.

Amazing video's that address the true history of Christianity are below
Please see following video's

A Lamp in the Dark
and
Tare's among the Wheat

Those will give you a good idea of the differences!
Protestants, mainly low church evangelical and fundamentalists, usually claim that the Catholic Church changed the Bible, and the 10 Commandments, and that they righted the wrong - which gave rise to the King James Version of the bible.. (which is the only unadulterated and uncorrupted form of the bible according to them)
But on the OP, a lot has changed since 2008-9 when this thread was last active.
Things have probably intensified, which could even mean we are in "the last days", or "end of times" madness, the so-called Rapture.
You only have to look at the number of youtube videos that make such claims, and have evangelicals attacking Catholics:

Moderator cut: delete

Last edited by Miss Blue; 06-07-2017 at 09:35 PM.. Reason: Inappropriate video in these forums

Old 06-07-2017, 05:41 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
So, are Catholics Christians in your mind?
Of course.

Old 06-07-2017, 08:45 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,024,835 times
I think the question that needs to be asked is "What makes one a Christian?" I think people are talking past each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality