Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2017, 01:43 PM

23,156 posts, read 10,449,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I'm born and raised Catholic. I'm not arguing the little details like when the Catholic Church was founded because it's not relevant to if Catholics are Christian. It's all background noise.
My point is that the word "Christian" has Christ in it. If you have Christ in your heart, believe Jesus died on the cross for your sins, he is the son of God and so on, then you're a Christian. It's the basic belief of Christianity. Everything else is a distraction and background noise to try and justify that one's brand of Christianity is better or more legitimate than another's. Personally, I think it's rather absurd that some Protestant religions in the year 2017 still believe their version of Christianity is the only one that counts especially since their basic beliefs come from Catholicism which has been around much longer and gave birth to the many forms of Protestant Christian religions. All Protestant religions are Christian and of course so is Catholicism.

One brand of Christianity isn't any different than the other, they are all Catholics who follow Catholic law.

Jesus is in Judaism, Paul was in Judaism.

Protestants keep the laws of the Catholic church and so they are still Catholic.

Still doesn't have anything to do with the New Testament, the New Testament is a book of Judaism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2017, 01:44 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times
If I could add just one more small thing. I also went to parochial school as a child. I was always taught to respect people of other religions. In our class there was a person of the Jewish faith. I don't know why he was there, except perhaps his parents felt he would get a better overall education than the local public schools were teaching. When it was time for us to have our religious studies, he left the room and worked on his other basic subjects like math history and so on.
He was treated the same as everyone else. No differently. We were all friends. My parents would have been horrified if I had told someone they were going to hell because they didn't believe in the same things I did.
I know there are some Catholics out there that are still rather zealot but they are very few and don't represent the vast majority.

Old 06-18-2017, 02:18 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
If I could add just one more small thing. I also went to parochial school as a child. I was always taught to respect people of other religions. In our class there was a person of the Jewish faith. I don't know why he was there, except perhaps his parents felt he would get a better overall education than the local public schools were teaching. When it was time for us to have our religious studies, he left the room and worked on his other basic subjects like math history and so on.
He was treated the same as everyone else. No differently. We were all friends. My parents would have been horrified if I had told someone they were going to hell because they didn't believe in the same things I did.
I know there are some Catholics out there that are still rather zealot but they are very few and don't represent the vast majority.
Most Catholics I know in real life don't act like that, either. There was one on this forum for a while--a person who converted to Catholicism as an adult, IIRC--but he seems to have faded from view.

Old 06-18-2017, 02:50 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
to tell ya truth I consider it a honor when millimentalist-think-ers tell me I am not a real atheist. catholics should be thankful fundamentalist-think-ers say they are not real christians.

didnt know people would be so narrow minded that the words milli-mental and fundy-mentals would close down all reason and logical thinkers Thank you trout for the new words millimentalist-think-ers and fundamentalist-think-ers group think tags. theist and "non", I call atheists, both have them. they should be honest about bad people being bad people and defining bad people based on a belief statement about god is stupid. I mean they are the people that reason, common sense, and love are at war with.

catholics should not only be happy that bad people disown them, they should disown their own bad people.

Old 06-18-2017, 04:51 PM

23,156 posts, read 10,449,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
to tell ya truth I consider it a honor when millimentalist-think-ers tell me I am not a real atheist. catholics should be thankful fundamentalist-think-ers say they are not real christians.

didnt know people would be so narrow minded that the words milli-mental and fundy-mentals would close down all reason and logical thinkers Thank you trout for the new words millimentalist-think-ers and fundamentalist-think-ers group think tags. theist and "non", I call atheists, both have them. they should be honest about bad people being bad people and defining bad people based on a belief statement about god is stupid. I mean they are the people that reason, common sense, and love are at war with.

catholics should not only be happy that bad people disown them, they should disown their own bad people.
You don't think I am a fundi do you?

Fundi's believe most everyone is going to hell, and I don't believe in hell.

I pretty much think everyone is saved, whatever that means.

The Original Christianity was Judaism, it wasn't Catholic, the Christianity today didn't exist in the days of the New Testament.

There is a big difference between being saved and obtaining the high prize after you raise a full grown son within you in order to be born again.

While I would say Christians are saved, I would say that they aren't born again.

Paul was in fear for these Galatians because they were to be studying Torah day and night in order that Christ could finally be formed in them.

Christianity throws the study out the window, they don't have the same worship system that they could progress in raising a new born.

They don't have the tools.

Paul's Fears for the Galatians
My children, for whom I am again in the pains of childbirth until Christ is formed in you,

Old 06-19-2017, 05:07 AM

6,366 posts, read 2,918,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Seriously. I used to sit in a location at work not far from the desk of a Methodist minister's son. He liked to talk about Christianity. He seemed to hold it in a different light and make an off-handed comment about Catholics not being Christian.

I kept it to myself but thought it was so stupid that I couldn't get mad.

To me, any religion whose scriptural works are ONLY and BOTH the Old Testament and the New Testament, with the emphasis that your faith is put in practice largely through the New Testament, is a Christian religion. Period.

I'm not a religious expert, but I don't know what to make of religions that profess to be Christian but have OTHER books. I just don't know.

So, are Catholics Christians in your mind?

It irks God when a religion that professes to be his--have statues, icons and graven images loaded into their lives. The bible condemns the usage of all 3. Those that do--do not know God. No follower of Jesus would ever stand on both sides of the wars of hatred--Catholicism killed the members of their own religion( allies) for Adolf Hitler a mass murderer-- The dark ages are still here.

Old 06-19-2017, 06:40 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times
There are 1.2 BILLION Catholics in the world and Catholicism is the largest Christian denomination in the United States but a few people on the far right with a chip on their shoulder still think they know better than anyone else what a Catholic person thinks, and prays to. Interesting...

Old 06-19-2017, 06:55 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,528,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Seriously. I used to sit in a location at work not far from the desk of a Methodist minister's son. He liked to talk about Christianity. He seemed to hold it in a different light and make an off-handed comment about Catholics not being Christian.

I kept it to myself but thought it was so stupid that I couldn't get mad.

To me, any religion whose scriptural works are ONLY and BOTH the Old Testament and the New Testament, with the emphasis that your faith is put in practice largely through the New Testament, is a Christian religion. Period.

I'm not a religious expert, but I don't know what to make of religions that profess to be Christian but have OTHER books. I just don't know.

So, are Catholics Christians in your mind?
LOL - having grown up in a Catholic family and an area of the country with a lot of Catholics, it wasn't until I was in my late 20s that I understood so many other folks of Christian faiths routinely considered the Catholic religion a cult or worse. I was never religious so to me it was humorous but my step mother was outraged when my Baptist minister ex father in law told her that Catholics made up their own faith out of myths and lies. I seriously thought she was going to rip out his throat. good times...

Old 06-19-2017, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
You don't think I am a fundi do you?

Fundi's believe most everyone is going to hell, and I don't believe in hell.

I pretty much think everyone is saved, whatever that means.

The Original Christianity was Judaism, it wasn't Catholic, the Christianity today didn't exist in the days of the New Testament.

There is a big difference between being saved and obtaining the high prize after you raise a full grown son within you in order to be born again.

While I would say Christians are saved, I would say that they aren't born again.

Paul was in fear for these Galatians because they were to be studying Torah day and night in order that Christ could finally be formed in them.

Christianity throws the study out the window, they don't have the same worship system that they could progress in raising a new born.

They don't have the tools.

Paul's Fears for the Galatians
My children, for whom I am again in the pains of childbirth until Christ is formed in you,
if you're not a bible literalist then you understand that catholics are a subgroup of christianity. You may not agree with them, as I don't, but they are christian.

I am not a fan of "saved". We are the ,most complex protein this planet has made to date. We are doing exactly what proteins do, work with other proteins to make a volume of space look 'alive". That's just a empirical fact. fundamentalist-think atheists are really the only ones that don't see that or will do anything to hide that facts. bottom line, no saved. I am lucky to think that the "me" of this universe gets to experience itself. Thats a blessing that I don't need saving from.

I think we will make the next life form in 200 years or less via biomedical engineering. But the truth is, the universe makes everything. Thats everything. In 1980 we could debate it. Heck, even I did. In 2017 "saved" and not understanding that we are part of a more complex system are relics from the ignorant days behind us.

Old 06-19-2017, 07:26 AM

Quote:
There are 1.2 BILLION Catholics in the world and Catholicism is the largest Christian denomination in the United States but a few people on the far right with a chip on their shoulder still think they know better than anyone else what a Catholic person thinks, and prays to. Interesting...
lmao, isn't that true for us all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality