Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2017, 03:46 PM

17,347 posts, read 11,293,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by havreman View Post
if one genuinely believes Jesus Christ is their savior, they are Christian. Christianity has nothing to do with book knowledge, going to church, helping little old ladies across the street, etc.
That's what I've said all along but some people are just stuck on little details of specific Christian religions. There are hundreds of Christian religions and they all differ from each other in certain ways. I think it's up to God to decide which if any serve him best, not your local preacher or internet blogger or Bible thumper. Personally, I don't think God really cares as long as you believe Jesus is your savior and you live a good life. To pretend your religion is the best or the only one that's legitimate because you know better than anyone else does a disservice to what Christianity is about.

Last edited by marino760; 06-20-2017 at 03:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 04:31 PM

3,805 posts, read 3,001,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
Only 1.2 billion that cannot understand simple bible milk--It clearly teaches---Call no man-FATHER( in a spiritual sense this is talking about)it means do not call a spiritual teacher--Father. Catholicism has only had 1750 years to read that simple milk---God is the holy Father--The pope is a sinner--not the Holy Father.
Yes, "call no man father" is one of the favorite quotes from Evangelicals, SDA's, and now JW's it seems.
Anyone can take a bible quote out of context, and turn it into a literal and generalized instruction.
Strange when Jesus was actually referring to earthly fathers, so do fundies not call their father, father?

Old 06-20-2017, 05:28 PM

1,065 posts, read 598,495 times
Ask the christian why they think a Catholic is not a christian, then sit back and enjoy their blather. There's no reason to be irked, most Christians know Catholics are Christian, just a few are like the blathering twit, you mention.

Old 06-20-2017, 06:31 PM

1,788 posts, read 1,173,011 times
Religions, TV Preachers, Popes, save no one.

Jesus is the Redeemer. The Savior. The Good Shepherd. The King of kings. The "GIFT" From God. The Son of God.

So why would you follow anything else?

Old 06-20-2017, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HushWhisper View Post
Religions, TV Preachers, Popes, save no one.

Jesus is the Redeemer. The Savior. The Good Shepherd. The King of kings. The "GIFT" From God. The Son of God.

So why would you follow anything else?
There you go! That's what Catholics and all Christians believe.
The Pope is chosen by men to lead the Catholic Church. He is a human being. I don't think there's a Catholic left on this earth that thinks he's infallible or has a secret phone line to God. He can be progressive or conservative and stick his nose in political matters that he shouldn't. This isn't the year 1247, and no one is afraid of being burned at the stake for disagreeing with him on Church matters. The Pope is respected because of his position by most Catholics, certainly not all and sometimes not even the majority. We don't worship him, pray to him or think he's Jesus Christ. He's a person just like you and me that was given a job to do.

Old 06-20-2017, 11:50 PM

3,805 posts, read 3,001,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
There you go! That's what Catholics and all Christians believe.
The Pope is chosen by men to lead the Catholic Church. He is a human being. I don't think there's a Catholic left on this earth that thinks he's infallible or has a secret phone line to God. He can be progressive or conservative and stick his nose in political matters that he shouldn't. This isn't the year 1247, and no one is afraid of being burned at the stake for disagreeing with him on Church matters. The Pope is respected because of his position by most Catholics, certainly not all and sometimes not even the majority. We don't worship him, pray to him or think he's Jesus Christ. He's a person just like you and me that was given a job to do.
Exactly, many fundies simply do not get that.
They say the head of the church is Jesus Christ (and they don't have an earthly leader), well he is the head of the Catholic Church as well.
Of course we know that their definitions of church, religion etc are very different.

Old 06-21-2017, 04:54 AM

Do Evangelicals or any Christian Protestant faith pray and worship to the minister or reverend that leads them in church? I don't think so. That person is also a human being with faults who has a job to do in leading their congregation. Do you agree with everything he/she tells you and all decisions he/she makes? Do you elevate him to the same status as Jesus Christ because he stands up in front of you in church and leads you in prayer and probably makes decisions for your congregation?
The Pope is no different except his congregation has 1.2 billion people.

Old 06-21-2017, 07:46 AM

88,612 posts, read 84,857,016 times
I saw a quote in a book by Karl Keating, a Catholic apologist, something to the effect of "People do not hate the Catholic Church. They hate what they think the Catholic Church is."

Old 06-21-2017, 08:37 AM

1,788 posts, read 1,173,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I saw a quote in a book by Karl Keating, a Catholic apologist, something to the effect of "People do not hate the Catholic Church. They hate what they think the Catholic Church is."
What does God call the Church, that sits in the 7 hills of Rome?

Old 06-21-2017, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I enjoy reading your posts. They're open minded, not condescending or hateful and full of false stereotypical beliefs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality