Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2015, 02:27 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,204,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
And I've repeatedly pointed out that the bible is no more "objective" on morality than anything else. Here in the civilized world, we generally consider genocide, stoning children to death, and torturing people with fire to be barbaric.
That's not the point of this thread. The point is that the OP was claiming it was barbaric. But you wouldn't know it if it was.
Quote:

You must not be paying much attention to my responses. I'm simply pointing out that you have no basis for your morality other than an appeal to an arbitrary book. A book with a lot of barbaric behavior. You're the one making a staggering claim and then refusing to back it up.

OK? So?
Quote:

Your argument is silly. Claiming that an arbitrary book is some kind of Absolute Source of Morality is ridiculous. How many times must you be told?
I really haven't made that argument on this thread now, have I?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2015, 02:28 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,204,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Mine.

I'm not afraid to own it. I don't need to get mine from a mouldy old book of myths.
Sorry..your standard of morality is simply your opinion. If I take it and and a fiver down to 7/11 I might get a cup of coffee. It has no bearing on anyone else.

Old 10-01-2015, 02:35 PM

18,502 posts, read 9,172,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Sorry..your standard of morality is simply your opinion. If I take it and and a fiver down to 7/11 I might get a cup of coffee. It has no bearing on anyone else.
Sorry...your view that the bible is a standard of morality is simply your opinion. It has no bearing on anyone else.

Old 10-01-2015, 02:38 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,980,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
What do you mean "but" then? Because that is exactly what I said. Do keep up. Read it again, try again. It was short, with small words, and quite clear. I am sure you will get it if you try again.
I was actually agreeing with you. Someone was saying you were wrong.

Quote:
You have not once, ever, in 13200 posts substantiated the claim this entity even exists. Let alone what it is, or is not, responsible for.
And you have not once, ever, in any posts substantiated any claim this Entity does not even exist.

Old 10-01-2015, 02:40 PM

18,502 posts, read 9,172,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I really haven't made that argument on this thread now, have I?
You're constantly claiming that an arbitrary book (the Christian Bible) is a source of objective morality.

If you have some evidence that the bible is anything other than an arbitrary book, then let's hear it. Until then, you're just blathering delusional nonsense like the homeless guy down the street who claims to be getting direct communication from aliens in outer space.

Old 10-01-2015, 02:42 PM

7,801 posts, read 6,378,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
I was actually agreeing with you. Someone was saying you were wrong.
Erm do not compound your error by lying about it now. No one else replied to that post. You were the only one to reply to it, or to even write a reply on this thread after it. Not one person said I was wrong. You simply did not read what I read properly and then typed a "but" to correct an error I never made. Own it.

Quote:
And you have not once, ever, in any posts substantiated any claim this Entity does not even exist.
Perhaps you would explain to me why I would substantiate a claim I NEVER MADE? When you fail to explain that, then you will understand which one of us has made 1000s of posts without substantiating our claims.

YOU claim there is a god, yet you have never once substantiated this claim even a little.

I however substantiate the claims that I make. Every time. But I have not, will not, and should not substantiate claims I never made. So keep your words out of my mouth thanks, it is not big, and it is not honest.

Old 10-01-2015, 03:55 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,935,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minougirl View Post
I bet many Christians are unaware that the Bible says that both disobedient children and homosexuals should be killed:
Leviticus 30:13: "If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall surely be put to death; their blood is upon them."
Deuteronomy 21: "18 If someone has a stubborn and rebellious son who does not obey his father and mother and will not listen to them when they discipline him, 19 his father and mother shall take hold of him and bring him to the elders at the gate of his town. 20 They shall say to the elders, “This son of ours is stubborn and rebellious. He will not obey us. He is a glutton and a drunkard.†21 Then all the men of his town are to stone him to death. You must purge the evil from among you. All Israel will hear of it and be afraid."
Try to remember the last time you heard a minister standing in the pulpit saying:

Quote:
Today our sermon is on Deuteronomy 25:11-12 "If two men are fighting and the wife of one of them comes to rescue her husband from his assailant, and she reaches out and seizes him by his genitals, you shall cut off her hand. Show her no pity." Let us pray. Lord, we thank you for the good advice you give to wives who might contemplate getting mixed up in fights between their husbands and their neighbors over trees sitting on the property line..."

Old 10-01-2015, 04:30 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,980,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
Erm do not compound your error by lying about it now. No one else replied to that post. You were the only one to reply to it, or to even write a reply on this thread after it. Not one person said I was wrong. You simply did not read what I read properly and then typed a "but" to correct an error I never made. Own it.
I was agreeing with you. It can be said I was mistaken someone replied to what you wrote. But I wasn't meaning to lie about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius
Quote:
Perhaps you would explain to me why I would substantiate a claim I NEVER MADE? When you fail to explain that, then you will understand which one of us has made 1000s of posts without substantiating our claims.
Don't tell me I've never made a post proving God exists if you are unable to prove He does not or prove He does.
Quote:
YOU claim there is a god, yet you have never once substantiated this claim even a little.
See what I mean? You make asinine statements like the above and don't expect anyone to call you on it and get upset when someone does. Who says I have to prove God exists? I don't have to prove anything of the sort.

Quote:
I however substantiate the claims that I make. Every time. But I have not, will not, and should not substantiate claims I never made. So keep your words out of my mouth thanks, it is not big, and it is not honest.
Yea, sure, you prove everything you say. Sure. Uhhuh. I never made the claim I could prove God exists. So why should I have to cow tow to you and feel I have to? Get a life buddy.

Old 10-01-2015, 06:45 PM

2,446 posts, read 1,388,660 times
Quote:
I was agreeing with you. It can be said I was mistaken someone replied to what you wrote. But I wasn't meaning to lie about it.

Don't tell me I've never made a post proving God exists if you are unable to prove He does not or prove He does.

See what I mean? You make asinine statements like the above and don't expect anyone to call you on it and get upset when someone does. Who says I have to prove God exists? I don't have to prove anything of the sort.

Yea, sure, you prove everything you say. Sure. Uhhuh. I never made the claim I could prove God exists. So why should I have to cow tow to you and feel I have to? Get a life buddy.
Uh, yes, the burden of proof lies with the person making the claim. You are making the claim that God exists. You haven't proved that. You can't prove a negative, in case you didn't realize that, so no one can prove God doesn't exist. Just like you can't prove bigfoot, aliens, the loch ness monster, or vampires aren't real. You can only make educated guesses.

Old 10-01-2015, 07:56 PM

11,123 posts, read 6,393,044 times
Quote:

Book, chapter and verse please.

Book, chapter and verse please.

A part of the man was taken out of Adam and God formed Eve from the earth around that part. It doesn't mean God cut Eve down as you suggest He cut down evil in Isaiah 45:7.

(CLV) Former of light and Creator of darkness, Maker of good and Creator of evil. I, Yahweh Elohim, made all of these things."

Actually He did create evil.

God laid down the law not to eat of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. That does not mean the law is evil and I don't even know why you brought it up as if I suggested so.
If it gives knowledge of good and evil, God had to create both the good and the evil so they could have knowledge of it. Evil didn't come into existence without God. "ALLLLLLL is created out of Him and through Him and for Him."

Typical mumbo jumbo. The New Testament writers constantly quoted the Old Testament. Are you now prepared to say Jesus, Paul, Peter and others were so stupid as to quote those, according to you, "ignorant savages" who, according to you, knew nothing about God?
God gave them direct revelation concerning the truth. If you don't believe them, you don't believe God.

I believe both since both the prophets and writers of the O.T. and Jesus really knew God.

Oh boy, let see, does God create by His word? Yes or no
Does not scripture tell us Gods word is a two edged sword and that sword is used for division?

You do the math.

Your Being deliberately obtuse again I see, seems you do that when you get stuck on a subject. Cut down is just a form of division or separation.

God did NOT create evil E, those Jesus revealed the Father to state God works no evil and God thinks no evil. So as God does not work or think evil how in the world did God create evil? I guess He must have created evil without thinking about it.

So evil is created out of God, through Him and for Him. Eek gad the madness.

You can't believe both E because what they state is contrary one to the other. And it is obvious you do not see where Jesus and the NT writers corrected the view of God given in the OT.

You can't have it both ways E, but I know you will try.

E speaking: God creates evil, but does so without getting his hands dirty, God uses hit men as it were and God does not think about the evil that He does because God does not think evil.

E remember the story of Moloch? And how the children of Israel were sacrificing their children to Moloch?
What did God say about that evil? Did He not say that His people were doing something that never entered His mind?

So explain how that evil that never entered Gods mind came out of and through God and will return back to God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality