Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 06:17 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,925,051 times

Advertisements

Yes, I was VERY involved in stopping those miscreants the Duggars from being the keynote speakers at an Alberta Home Education Association convention which will be held less than 60 miles from my home. They have scrubbed their website of any reference to them, except for the links listed below.

Welcome to AHEA!

Duggar speeches cancelled in Alberta

How was I involved?

Met with my local representative to the Alberta Legislature. Phoned the Minister' office. Emailed AHEA and advised them of my lobbying efforts to review the whole home schooling regime as a result of their booking, and defending the booking, of the Duggars. I know a couple of other representatives to the Legislature, both on the government and opposition side, and I contacted them also. Spread the message on both Facebook and Twitter (love that viral stuff!).

AHEA is mostly a Christian based home school based association, and I am proud, damn proud to help have the Duggars stopped. Damn proud in fact. Did I say Damn Proud???

We will see if the whole home schooling thing will be reviewed, as that is a longer process. It may also require more lobbying, but that is something I have been good at for a long time.

The good guys and gals win one!

Look at the mealy mouthed news release:

Convention Speaker Change

Minor speakers?

They were pretty proud to announce the Duggars here:

Keynote Speakers 2016 Affirmation

Notice how they called it 'old news' that they neglected to report to police as soon as possible?

Oh, and here are the 'Values' the organization promotes:

Values
  • AHEA values the supremacy of God
  • AHEA values parents as having the God-given right and responsibility to direct the education of their children
  • AHEA values the traditional family unit defined as one husband, one wife and children, if any. We hold this model to be normative and the basis for a strong and stable society.
  • AHEA values children and recognizes their need for discipling within the family context.
  • AHEA values government as being instituted by God. We hold that government exists to serve the people, and that it must exercise its compelling interest in the education of children in the least intrusive manner.
  • AHEA values education as the life-long formation of the individual and is not restricted to the acquisition of knowledge.

A good Christian group, that had to be brow beaten to exclude the Duggars, rather than seeing the morality of it themselves.

Last edited by cupper3; 11-02-2015 at 06:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2015, 06:31 AM

18,496 posts, read 9,164,949 times
I thought that quasi-fascist Christian stuff was limited to the US.

Old 11-02-2015, 06:45 AM

1,194 posts, read 1,100,649 times
Bravo!

Old 11-02-2015, 07:10 AM

20,005 posts, read 13,486,477 times
I am not sure I agree with "reviewing the whole home schooling regime" because it is locally dominated by Christians, depending on what is meant by "reviewing". There are atheists and areligious theists and liberal theists who home school too, and home schooling done right includes a lot of group activities and outside tutors, not just sitting at home filling out workbooks. I think it should be reviewed for academic effectiveness and should have reasonable accountability to (and support from) the local school system and I think ideological diversity should be encouraged ... but I do not think home schooling is inherently a Bad Thing that should be prohibited either, especially in the lower grades, just because a bunch of fundamentalists have hijacked the idea to their own ends.

Old 11-02-2015, 07:20 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
As Bill and Ted are fond of saying--MOST EXCELLENT DUDE!

Old 11-02-2015, 07:27 AM

7,595 posts, read 6,089,079 times
Mordant is right. There are a number of Christian Home school programs which are marketed to the extreme. And like Most Christian fundies do with everything else, they try to push these programs on everyone. But there are many secular and even non religious programs out there, which are, in my opinion, academically superior to any of the otherwise Christian home school programs.
But to the OP Well done with keeping the Fundies out of other people's lives.

Old 11-02-2015, 07:43 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,736,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Yes, I was VERY involved in stopping those miscreants the Duggars from being the keynote speakers at an Alberta Home Education Association convention which will be held less than 60 miles from my home. They have scrubbed their website of any reference to them, except for the links listed below.

Welcome to AHEA!

Duggar speeches cancelled in Alberta

How was I involved?

Met with my local representative to the Alberta Legislature. Phoned the Minister' office. Emailed AHEA and advised them of my lobbying efforts to review the whole home schooling regime as a result of their booking, and defending the booking, of the Duggars. I know a couple of other representatives to the Legislature, both on the government and opposition side, and I contacted them also. Spread the message on both Facebook and Twitter (love that viral stuff!).

AHEA is mostly a Christian based home school based association, and I am proud, damn proud to help have the Duggars stopped. Damn proud in fact. Did I say Damn Proud???

We will see if the whole home schooling thing will be reviewed, as that is a longer process. It may also require more lobbying, but that is something I have been good at for a long time.

The good guys and gals win one!

Look at the mealy mouthed news release:

Convention Speaker Change

Minor speakers?

They were pretty proud to announce the Duggars here:

Keynote Speakers 2016 Affirmation

Notice how they called it 'old news' that they neglected to report to police as soon as possible?

Oh, and here are the 'Values' the organization promotes:

Values
  • AHEA values the supremacy of God
  • AHEA values parents as having the God-given right and responsibility to direct the education of their children
  • AHEA values the traditional family unit defined as one husband, one wife and children, if any. We hold this model to be normative and the basis for a strong and stable society.
  • AHEA values children and recognizes their need for discipling within the family context.
  • AHEA values government as being instituted by God. We hold that government exists to serve the people, and that it must exercise its compelling interest in the education of children in the least intrusive manner.
  • AHEA values education as the life-long formation of the individual and is not restricted to the acquisition of knowledge.

A good Christian group, that had to be brow beaten to exclude the Duggars, rather than seeing the morality of it themselves.

Yeah that's really something to be proud of huh? But here's my question, yes no doubt Josh Duggar is a scumbag, but what crime did the rest of the family commit exactly? Apparently you want to bring down the entire family not out of some civil duty to protect society, but because they are an easy target.

That's the thing that still sticks in my craw over the Duggars and the media. Their story was given extensively full blown media coverage for weeks on end. The house of horrors etc.... Yet by comparison, Subway's Jared Fogle story was quickly forgotten. And this is a guy who not only had sex with children, he boasted and bragged about how "amazing" the experience was. He may have abused over a dozen children too. Yet people didn't stop going to Subway, and I didn't hear much outrage that Fogle could get out in as soon as 5 years! OTOH, people wanted to see Josh get life in prison. Fogle should be getting life in prison, IMO. I feel that if the Duggars were not Christians, they would have barely got any media attention and scrutiny.

Old 11-02-2015, 07:50 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
I know lots of non-Christians who home school - not bc they are religious but bc they don't want their kids held back by the slow kids or bc of stupid core curriculum stuff or bc of not wanting other bad influences.

Old 11-02-2015, 08:22 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I know lots of non-Christians who home school - not bc they are religious but bc they don't want their kids held back by the slow kids or bc of stupid core curriculum stuff or bc of not wanting other bad influences.
How magnanimous of you. I suppose all your kids are geniuses? If so the sure overcame the contribution of patriarchal ignorant genes..

Old 11-02-2015, 08:28 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
How magnanimous of you. I suppose all your kids are geniuses? If so the sure overcame the contribution of patriarchal ignorant genes..
I am telling you reasons OTHER PEOPLE I KNOW homeschool.
But after seeing the terrible reading comprehension that is being displayed in your post, I can see their point about not wanting to be around slow people.

And everyone know core curriculum is garbage teaching to a test. How is that uncharitable of me to mention?

And frankly, I can see the point of not wanting to waste your kids' time waiting on other kids to learn the same material. Those same kids might be ahead on other material. Why should they wait either?

Homeschooling allows for individual plans for individual kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality