Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 10:33 AM

10,090 posts, read 5,739,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Do you? My goodness. Maybe you should think about moving.... or something.

I never have to check my faith at the door. I usually wear a piece of jewelry that's a statement of my faith. I've never been told I have to stop reading my Bible in a public waiting room. And I tend to say things like, "Well, praise the Lord!" when the clerk at the register tells me something is on sale and I've never been smacked in the mouth or hauled off to the gulag for saying it. I see religious bumper stickers on cars, kids wearing Christian school uniforms and I've yet to see a nun be told she can't wear her habit and has to wear something that doesn't scream "Catholic!!".

Just what is it that you're doing that makes you have to check your faith at the door?
Well apparently if you are a factory worker in Ohio, you can get fired for sharing your faith. If you are a coach, you can be fired for praying with the team, showing any religious symbols or even taking a knee or bowing your head. These are examples of the ever encroaching secular machine designed to stamp out faith in public.

No persecution of Christians in America? How quickly people forget that Christians were coldly executed by a gunman on a college campus this year when they refused to deny Christ in front of him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2015, 10:42 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Well apparently if you are a factory worker in Ohio, you can get fired for sharing your faith.
You avoided the question. Why do YOU have to check your faith at the door? What are YOU doing that makes you have to check your faith at the door?

You claimed you have to. Please share.

I've been a Christian in America for a lot longer than you've been alive. I've never even THOUGHT I had to check my faith at the door. But then I'm not a fundamentalist with a persecution complex who thinks the world is picking on Christians.

Old 11-17-2015, 10:56 AM

18,501 posts, read 9,170,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I've been a Christian in America for a lot longer than you've been alive. I've never even THOUGHT I had to check my faith at the door. But then I'm not a fundamentalist with a persecution complex who thinks the world is picking on Christians.
You're not a real Christian, so that doesn't count.

Old 11-17-2015, 11:29 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
You're not a real Christian, so that doesn't count.

Hmmmm..... Then I am apparently exposing myself to public censure, job discrimination and death at the hands of a crazed gunman....... (who is shooting everyone, not just the Christians, but why mention non-Christians being murdered when crying "They're persecuting me!! ")...... for no good reason.

Old 11-17-2015, 11:41 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,388,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Not really, I know 60-70 atheists. Plus all the ones on this discussion board who's sole purpose is to antagonize people of faith (its a new religion you know). Im sure the kiddos are getting it at home as well.
You know 60-70 atheists? Yea, and I know 60-70 Bigfoots. Your continued ignorance about atheists shows you don't know many, if any at all. Why would atheists continuously talk about religion at home? They have no reason to. You know when my wife and I talk about religion? When the religious are trying to force some religious law/exemption/bigotry onto other people, and we don't talk to our son about it.

I take it that you would be the religious guy talking to their kids about how evil all us heathens are? and you somehow think that is okay, but telling children to rely on their own mind as opposed to someone else's is somehow wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Like all the ones here on CD who keep talking about "Sky Daddy"? Gimme a break! They mock religious adherents. My experience with many atheists is that they have no clue about religion. They think all religions oppose card playing, dancing, drinking, birth control, abortion, homosexuality, and so forth.
Believe it or not Katarina, you can't make judgments of an entire populace by people on a forum. Even still, when people talk like that, it is usually in response to some delusional fundamentalist, not an everyday normal Christian. None of us think that ALL religions/religious do anything. We aren't stupid, and we know every group isn't some homogenous blob. It is your side who continually lumps ALL non religious together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Keyboard psychology.

Seriously? You don't know 60-70 people in general? Anyone who has gone to school, work and belonged to even one or two organizations knows that many people. I don't know if I know 60-70 atheists, but I, as an older, suburban woman who is a practicing Christian know probably a dozen. Many have no clue about religion, including those who became atheist after being involved in religion as a child. And herein lies my point about this study. Kids, especially in the lower ages of this study, don't know what they are, religiously.

As adults, there is no doubt that the religious give more to charity, and not just to religious charities, than the non-religious. Here are a few articles to support that position.
It’s Social Ties
"Not surprisingly, the most highly religious Americans contribute their time and treasure to religious causes. But they also give to secular causes—at a higher rate than do the most secular Americans.. . .The rates for charitable giving according to the Jumpstart survey are: 61 percent of Black Protestants; 64 % of Evangelical Protestants; 67 % of Mainline Protestants, 68 % of Roman Catholics, and 76 % of Jews. By contrast, only 46 % of the not religiously affiliated made any charitable giving."
(Emphasis mine)

Even some atheist groups acknowledge this:
10 Things Christians Do Better than Atheists - #1 Charity Work - Minnesota Atheists ~ Positive Atheism in Action Since 1991
"For all of the faults in theology, Christians have a lock on charity work. When someone thinks of Christian kindness, I doubt that they imagine brainwashing children to fear a non existent Hell and a deity who watches every move and knows your thoughts. Instead, images ofsoup kitchens, food shelves, homeless shelters, Habitat for Humanity,even sandbagging ahead of a flood are all things churches are known for. Why aren't the same things associated with atheist kindness?"
Wrong. Most atheists and agnostics know just as much, if not more, than most religious people. This forum proves that on a daily basis.

Old 11-18-2015, 01:08 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,378,034 times
Quote:
And your definition of religious freedom is the freedom to believe only in my mind or on private property. I have to check my faith at the door the moment I set off private property.
I have not seen one atheist on this forum claim any such thing ever. Can you maybe quote some of them? Or retract your blatant and contrived misrepresentation? Or... you know.... simply ignore the question like you normally do when you know you are wrong and caught.

Old 11-18-2015, 03:33 AM

1,490 posts, read 1,215,649 times
Quote:
Well apparently if you are a factory worker in Ohio, you can get fired for sharing your faith. If you are a coach, you can be fired for praying with the team, showing any religious symbols or even taking a knee or bowing your head. These are examples of the ever encroaching secular machine designed to stamp out faith in public.

No persecution of Christians in America? How quickly people forget that Christians were coldly executed by a gunman on a college campus this year when they refused to deny Christ in front of him.
So then I suppose you sympathize with those advocating for Sharia Law. Because you know....they're just trying to practice their religion and it only works if you also participate.

Old 11-18-2015, 03:39 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,711,454 times
That's the problem with fundamentalism - it only makes sense in the context of its own rules. As soon as it is considered in the context of coexisting with others, it all falls apart.

Old 11-19-2015, 02:13 PM

10,090 posts, read 5,739,706 times
Looks like not every scientist agrees with this study. Some glaring problems here:

Quote:

Tom Trinko, a scientist with a Ph.D. in physics, penned a column for the conservative American Thinker denouncing the study as "pseudoscience." A major issue Trinko has with the study is that it considers the term "non-religious" to be synonymous with "atheist."

"The study compares people who say they aren't religious with people who say they are. However, it turns out that when Pew surveyed Americans on their religions, 68 percent of those who identified as non-religious believed in God," argued Trinko.

Another major objection of the physicist was the researchers' use of "the dictator game," in which a person is given a fictional resource to hypothetically give to an unknown person, as the means to gather data.

"Because the children knew this was a game, for the [study's] conclusion to have any merit at all it must be true that everyone who is a cutthroat, no-stakes poker player, or in the case of children a highly competitive Chutes and Ladders player, must be lacking in real-life charity," continued Trinko.
Scientist Disputes Study Claiming Atheist Children More Charitable Than Religious Children

The only real truth I see here is just another demonstration of how atheists like cupper will accept without question any study that puts down religion.

Old 11-19-2015, 02:39 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,928,903 times
Quote:
Looks like not every scientist agrees with this study. Some glaring problems here:

Scientist Disputes Study Claiming Atheist Children More Charitable Than Religious Children

The only real truth I see here is just another demonstration of how atheists like cupper will accept without question any study that puts down religion.
We have a word for that kind of article out west here, and it relates to bovine scat. A article in a self-proclaimed Christian site states the OPINION of one scientist, who does not question the methodology, but the result, as opinion, but other than opinion, has nothing to substantiate it.

Now, Jeff, pay attention here.

What did my OP link to? An opinion piece, or the original and actual study? Besides, even though the scientist outlined, and I note, not cited, in your article, is a physicist and not a biologist, he would be aware of the scientific method and protocol to refute a study. He did NOT follow that protocol.

The article is a warm, steaming pile of bovine scat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality