Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2016, 03:10 PM

2,446 posts, read 1,386,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
But that's just it, you don't actually have any proof God did not create the universe. So how can you "have a hell of a lot more 'proof' than I do" if you have no proof to begin with? That is what I want to know.

I didn't say I had proof God DIDN'T, I said we have more proof for our beliefs than you have for yours. In other words, there is more proof for evolution (not perfect) than creation (None at all other than your holy book).

Quote:
Now now, just because science hasn't caught up with God's science does not mean one should castigate the more intelligent.

Right, the ole, "We don't understand it completely so Goddunnit" argument. And you wonder why I say you haven't grown up yet?

Quote:
Again, I don't have to prove Bigfoot did not create the universe. That is not within my purview.
Aliens along with God did take part in making the earth habitable again if you consider the plural form of "elohim" as being of angelic/other worldly beings.

See why this makes no sense yet?

The point is, which you are ducking and dodging like a good little fundy, is that you have no more proof that these things did not happen than I have for Goddunnit. They are equally impossible to prove, so they are the same. If you do not have to prove those things, then we certainly don't have to prove Goddidn't either.

I see why talking to you is pointless, since you have a childlike ability to ignore/deflect things that are not convenient for you.

Quote:
There you go again accusing me of being immature. I have already grown up. Just because you don't agree with me does not excuse your actions of put-downs towards me.

Where is it anywhere that before one believes in God, one must know all about science, reason, rationality and logic? Of course we should be reasonable and use logic and be rational. But these are not prerequisites to the deeper spiritual matters of this life.

Not saying they are, but it is rather funny to me that your education level directly influences the likelihood of belief. In other words, the more educated you are about things like science, the less likely you are to believe in magic and fairy tales. Oh, and Eus, you are immature. A mature adult can not say the things you do with a straight face.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2016, 06:11 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,057 times
Quote:
Why should you believe it is not true that God created the heavens and earth?
Then why not believe the Qu'ran? Or the Hindu Vedas? Or the Egyptian Book of the Dead? Or the story of Pandora? Or any of the other stories of gods and creation?

There's absolutely no reason to believe one over the other. Just because we happen to live in a Christian culture in no way means that Christianity is true. Because, as you very well know, if you were born somewhere else, you'd be on a different forum arguing for the existence of THAT god, not the Christian god.

If you've lived like a gypsy as I have, you'd truly understand the role geography plays on your beliefs. People born in Christian nations will almost certainly end up being Christian. Those born in a Catholic neighborhood will almost certainly end up a Catholic. Those born to devout Catholic parents will almost certainly end up devout Catholics.

If you're a Catholic and move to Saudi Arabia, you might convert to Islam, but you're not going to convert to say, Shintoism. Why? Because no one there practices Shintoism. And if you're a Muslim and move to the USA, you're probably going to seek out a geographical location where there is a cluster of other Muslims. Barring that, you're likely going to end up converting to whatever the prevailing Christian denomination is in your neighborhood. But I'd bet dollars to donuts that this Muslim wouldn't randomly convert to Wicca in isolation.

Geography and enculturation plays a HUGE role in what you believe ... and yet people will still prance around thinking they converted or that they believe what they do because of some inherent truth within the scripture. It's not. It's more about assimilation and the need to belong than it does about God, truth, scripture, or any of that nonsense. It'll SEEM like some kind of an epiphany, but it's not.

Old 02-05-2016, 06:23 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,966,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Then why not believe the Qu'ran? Or the Hindu Vedas? Or the Egyptian Book of the Dead? Or the story of Pandora? Or any of the other stories of gods and creation?
I'm sure some of those books lend credence to the Biblical account.
Quote:
There's absolutely no reason to believe one over the other. Just because we happen to live in a Christian culture in no way means that Christianity is true. Because, as you very well know, if you were born somewhere else, you'd be on a different forum arguing for the existence of THAT god, not the Christian god.
I am curious why you say there is not one reason to believe one over the other. I believe there are many reasons as do others. We can go into those reasons if you want to.

Quote:
If you've lived like a gypsy as I have, you'd truly understand the role geography plays on your beliefs. People born in Christian nations will almost certainly end up being Christian. Those born in a Catholic neighborhood will almost certainly end up a Catholic. Those born to devout Catholic parents will almost certainly end up devout Catholics.
I'm not sure if you have scientific statistics to back up the above statements. But even if you do, that does not disprove the Bible to be correct.

Quote:
If you're a Catholic and move to Saudi Arabia, you might convert to Islam, but you're not going to convert to say, Shintoism. Why? Because no one there practices Shintoism. And if you're a Muslim and move to the USA, you're probably going to seek out a geographical location where there is a cluster of other Muslims. Barring that, you're likely going to end up converting to whatever the prevailing Christian denomination is in your neighborhood.
Nonetheless, even if the entire world was at war with Christianity and just one Christian was left alive, that one Christian would still be correct to believe God is the source of all creation.

Quote:
Geography and enculturation plays a HUGE role in what you believe ... and yet people will still prance around thinking they converted or that they believe what they do because of some inherent truth within the scripture. It's not. It's more about assimilation and the need to belong than it does about God, truth, scripture, or any of that nonsense. It'll SEEM like some kind of an epiphany, but it's not.
There are quite a number of Muslims in Muslim countries who God opens their eyes and hearts to the truth in spite of the threat of death. Just because you say it isn't an epiphany does not prove it isn't.

Old 02-05-2016, 06:29 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,733,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post

If you're a Catholic and move to Saudi Arabia, you might convert to Islam, but you're not going to convert to say, Shintoism. Why? Because no one there practices Shintoism. And if you're a Muslim and move to the USA, you're probably going to seek out a geographical location where there is a cluster of other Muslims. Barring that, you're likely going to end up converting to whatever the prevailing Christian denomination is in your neighborhood. But I'd bet dollars to donuts that this Muslim wouldn't randomly convert to Wicca in isolation.

Yeah umm that totally explains why there are a lot of Christians in South Korea, China and even the Middle East.

Old 02-05-2016, 06:30 PM

11,019 posts, read 5,984,846 times
Quote:
There are quite a number of Muslims in Muslim countries who God opens their eyes and hearts to the truth in spite of the threat of death. Just because you say it isn't an epiphany does not prove it isn't.
I'm sure this is true but remember that there are Christian communities in the Middle East. That's where ISIS gets it's victims from (aside from kidnapped Westerners).

Quote:
I'm not sure if you have scientific statistics to back up the above statements.
Shirina is not given to talking nonsense.

Old 02-05-2016, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
I didn't say I had proof God DIDN'T, I said we have more proof for our beliefs than you have for yours. In other words, there is more proof for evolution (not perfect) than creation (None at all other than your holy book).

Right, the ole, "We don't understand it completely so Goddunnit" argument. And you wonder why I say you haven't grown up yet?

The point is, which you are ducking and dodging like a good little fundy, is that you have no more proof that these things did not happen than I have for Goddunnit. They are equally impossible to prove, so they are the same. If you do not have to prove those things, then we certainly don't have to prove Goddidn't either.
I see why talking to you is pointless, since you have a childlike ability to ignore/deflect things that are not convenient for you.

Not saying they are, but it is rather funny to me that your education level directly influences the likelihood of belief. In other words, the more educated you are about things like science, the less likely you are to believe in magic and fairy tales. Oh, and Eus, you are immature. A mature adult can not say the things you do with a straight face.
I understand why you would use ad hominum attack against one who does not agree with you. It upsets people when they are shown to be in the wrong and so rather than own up to their plight, they attack the individual they are debating with. It is very common. It shows the bankruptcy of a good argument on the part of the one attacking. You don't normally see such things when professional theologians debate. It would show their weakness and pettiness if they did such a thing.

You have absolutely no proof whatsoever that the universe came into being without God's direct involvement. Therefore you do not have "more proof" God didn't do it. Now please don't go into another post berating me again or I will have to put you on ignore.

Last edited by Eusebius; 02-05-2016 at 06:42 PM..

Old 02-06-2016, 02:06 PM

11,019 posts, read 5,984,846 times
I can see a good reason why God did not want Adam ans Eve to learn the knowledge of good and evil because once mankind knows this they would be able to see how evil and sick God is! But we are learning it as is evidenced by posters on this thread. We are in the age of revelation!

Old 02-06-2016, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
I can see a good reason why God did not want Adam ans Eve to learn the knowledge of good and evil because once mankind knows this they would be able to see how evil and sick God is! But we are learning it as is evidenced by posters on this thread. We are in the age of revelation!
No, I already told you God wanted them to learn from the knowledge of good and evil. Once they learn all they need to they will see God in the proper light of a truly loving God worthy of worship and love and adoration.

Old 02-06-2016, 02:36 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,029,149 times
Quote:
No, I already told you God wanted them to learn from the knowledge of good and evil.
Now, this is something that you have right...

Old 02-06-2016, 03:33 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
insane to sacrifice your only son? how selfish. Again proof that personality traits/mental state define how the belief is expressed. It is not the other way around dispite how the mentals rant and rave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality