Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 02:19 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,861,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Does God have a plan? Yup. Of course he does.

But can we apply Jeremiah 29:11 to our lives and say that God just wants to prosper us and make everything go well? no. Jeremiah 29:11 wasn't written to us. It was written to ancient Israel.
Jeremiah 29:11 has been so misused and butchered by evangelical culture it angers me when I see it printed on t-shirts, billboards, bumper stickers, etc. Thanks for pointing this out. With so many things in the Bible, you have to look at it in context, in terms of who the author is, who it was written to, etc. So much bad theology comes from cherrypicking verses. 2 Chronicles 7:14 is another one. Thing is, these have been misused and taken out of context for so long they are considered orthodoxy and its heretical to interpret them in their context.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2016, 02:22 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,265,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Jeremiah 29:11 has been so misused and butchered by evangelical culture it angers me when I see it printed on t-shirts, billboards, bumper stickers, etc. Thanks for pointing this out. With so many things in the Bible, you have to look at it in context, in terms of who the author is, who it was written to, etc. So much bad theology comes from cherrypicking verses. 2 Chronicles 7:14 is another one. Thing is, these have been misused and taken out of context for so long they are considered orthodoxy and its heretical to interpret them in their context.
agreed

Old 01-22-2016, 08:34 PM

32,533 posts, read 22,158,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
So you don't believe you go to heaven when you die? All those who have already died are still in the grave awaiting the return?

It does prove you are unsure of yourselves. If you really believed paradise was waiting, why get medical treatment for cancer? Why wear set belts? I mean, you are going to heaven if you die right? So what are you afraid of? (Not you specifically, but all believers)
In Judaism it's a Mitzvah to preserve life...

Old 01-24-2016, 09:47 PM

20,241 posts, read 13,645,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Some may believe due to the reason you state above. But we cannot paint with such a broad brush that all who believe do so for the reason you stated.
Actually, we can. I'm not suggesting that everyone is fully and directly aware of the overarching fear of death / dissolution / insignificance, but social science and anthropology show us that no matter how it's sublimated or indirected, the rejection of mortality is at the very core of the human condition. It explains ritual sacrificial systems, the divine right of kings, the awe of political power, the rationalizations for and willingness to participate in war, man's chronic willingness to give up his freedom to despots, his fondness for religion, and a whole lot more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
I just don't see how an atheist can comfort someone over the loss of their loved one if the atheist truly believes life is just an accident, you live, you die, end of story.
Simply being present and bearing witness is all most bereaved really want. Expressing what the deceased meant to you personally is always appreciated too.

I know from personal experience that bereavement is a highly personal thing that you have to personally process, and most of what passes for "comfort" consists of pious platitudes designed to get the "comforter" off the hook and out of the room as soon as humanly possible -- or faux hope based on wishful thinking which is no comfort at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality