Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2016, 07:20 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,630,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
You have every right to your opinions Jeff. No one is seeking to deny you that right. Just as we have every right to make fun of you and to hold the opinion that you are the perfect example of intolerance.
Not to insult Jeff; but, more to the point, a perfect example of why fundamentalist christianity needs to be strictly banned from public schools. The United States is already the most poorly educated developed country in the world due to the sabotaging of our educational system by religious wackos, and if there is ever to be any hope at all of regaining some of the ground we've lost to the better educated countries, any christian influence in public schools - any of it whatsoever - needs to be squashed like a cockroach, lest we have an entire nation of Moderator cut: name removed 30 years from now. And make no mistake, that is exactly what their goal is.

Last edited by mensaguy; 02-23-2016 at 07:59 PM.. Reason: Names have been changed to protect the (innocent/guilty) [pick one]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2016, 08:51 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,095,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
What gives you the right to demand that we accept gay marriage as natural and normal? The reality is you are the one pushing secular beliefs down our throat.
Not really. Churches aren't required by law to marry gay people (at the federal level; maybe some states has some weird ass law that I would oppose as I believe in a firm separation of church and state). Your religious liberty in this issue is not actually being violated at all. Gay marriage is legal though. You don't have to like it but you do have to respect that. Just as I respect your church's right to not preform a ceremony for gay couples.

I do still hold you to the expectation that you treat gay people with respect. If you don't treat people with respect, I won't take your world view seriously. No one should.

Old 02-23-2016, 09:16 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,350,168 times
Quote:
Well certainly you have the right to resort to insults and mockery. I just happen to find it low class and doesn't say much about your side. Keep it up. All you are doing is proving that atheists do mistreat Christians.
I have just spoken up for your right to be bigoted and intolerant. How am I the one mistreating ANYONE?

Old 02-23-2016, 09:41 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,736,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
I have just spoken up for your right to be bigoted and intolerant. How am I the one mistreating ANYONE?
You don't think insulting and mocking people equals mistreatment? The funny thing is most atheists come off as the most bigoted people I've ever met.

Old 02-23-2016, 10:38 PM

11,023 posts, read 5,989,338 times
Quote:
What gives you the right to demand that we accept gay marriage as natural and normal?
No one is demanding that you accept gay marriage as natural and normal. We ARE demanding that you accept gay marriage and that you follow your own founder's teachings which are, love your neighbor, judge not others and so on. You know? The teachings of Christ? The guy that your religion is named after? That Christ.

Remember him saying; "Remove the log from your own eye before you try to remove the splinter from some one else's eye"?

Besides, why would you actively despise gay marriage when the founder of your religion, the Apostle Paul, may not have been completely straight?

Old 02-24-2016, 07:35 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,326,711 times
I think that Jeff mistreats Christians, the Christians that do not oppose the LBGT community, the Christians that accept same sex marriage, the Christians who are LBGT, the Christians who have had same sex marriage in their church, the Christians who are gay and are ministers or pastors. All of his expressing of how unnatural and immoral their thoughts and actions are must be according to his own definition, mistreating of these Christians. And misthreating of all the non Christians who fall into similiar groups whether they be Jews, Muslims, Hindu or atheists. I would guess that Jeff will not view these Christians as real Christians hence that would be even more misteatment.

I find it funny that telling someone that they are immoral and unnatural based on your own personal religious worldview is not biogtry however telling that religious person that they do not get to impose their religion upon everyone else is biogrotry. Jeff you are constantly insulting and mocking not only atheists and LBGT people but people who consider themselves religious and maybe even Christian, you insult almost anyone who does not have your literal intrepretion of the Bible and does not want to force that literal intrepretation upon all of society.

And finally Jeff, anyone who disagrees with you is disagreeing with your comments, your claims and your arguements, they are not for the most part disagreeing with Christianity nor do you represent Christians. I would think that a large portion of Christians would find your views as disagreeable as I do.

Old 02-24-2016, 07:51 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,925,051 times
Jeff, you inspired a cartoon it seems:

Old 02-24-2016, 08:09 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Jeff, you inspired a cartoon it seems:
Perfect!

Old 02-24-2016, 08:13 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
I think that Jeff mistreats Christians, the Christians that do not oppose the LBGT community, the Christians that accept same sex marriage, the Christians who are LBGT, the Christians who have had same sex marriage in their church, the Christians who are gay and are ministers or pastors. All of his expressing of how unnatural and immoral their thoughts and actions are must be according to his own definition, mistreating of these Christians. And misthreating of all the non Christians who fall into similiar groups whether they be Jews, Muslims, Hindu or atheists. I would guess that Jeff will not view these Christians as real Christians hence that would be even more misteatment.

I find it funny that telling someone that they are immoral and unnatural based on your own personal religious worldview is not biogtry however telling that religious person that they do not get to impose their religion upon everyone else is biogrotry. Jeff you are constantly insulting and mocking not only atheists and LBGT people but people who consider themselves religious and maybe even Christian, you insult almost anyone who does not have your literal intrepretion of the Bible and does not want to force that literal intrepretation upon all of society.

And finally Jeff, anyone who disagrees with you is disagreeing with your comments, your claims and your arguements, they are not for the most part disagreeing with Christianity nor do you represent Christians. I would think that a large portion of Christians would find your views as disagreeable as I do.
Thank you. We have gay Christians in my church, married and single. They are the minority, but they come because they are welcome to just be people who believe and who want to be part of a church community. When someone suggested putting the rainbow logo on the parish website, one of the gay guys said,,"NO. It's not a gay church. It's just a church."

We don't talk about our sex lives in church, gay or straight. It's not what it's about for us.

Old 02-24-2016, 08:33 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,326,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Thank you. We have gay Christians in my church, married and single. They are the minority, but they come because they are welcome to just be people who believe and who want to be part of a church community. When someone suggested putting the rainbow logo on the parish website, one of the gay guys said,,"NO. It's not a gay church. It's just a church."

We don't talk about our sex lives in church, gay or straight. It's not what it's about for us.

That is a great story. I long for the day that we do not even think if a person is straight or gay. I currently know not whether any of my co-workers or friends are religious or not. The largest Protestant denomination in Canada allows same sex marriage and I think they agreed upon that prior to the federal govenment making ssm legal throughout the country in 2005. I am sure that some people switched church over that decision back then but I doubt it is even an issue a decade later. Your church sounds like a welcoming and tolerant one as do your posts on these forums.

Just as I was about to hit the submit button I remembered that Jeff claims that atheists never had anything good to say about Christians so I will add that I wrote the above without thought to what Jeff had claimed and I have good things to say to good people and not so good things to say about people's not so good comments and opinions. It is a good thing that in my experience both in life and on this forum that the vast majority of people of beleivers and non believers are nice people with mostly good opinions and comments and I have disagreed with comments from non beleivers and agreed with comments from believers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality