Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2016, 07:48 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,224,257 times

Advertisements

Today, 10:45 AM Remove user from ignore list
Eusebius This message is hidden because Eusebius is on your ignore list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2016, 07:51 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,387,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
Eusie sure seems to have a fascination with keeping up with what posters he supposedly has on ignore are saying . He made this same comment about me somewhere else a day or two ago .
Right? For someone who doesn't care about what we post, and doesn't want to hear it, he sure makes a lot of comments about it! Put me on ignore? Fantastic! Just shows you have no cajones, and can't deal with people showing your beliefs to be a sham. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Old 03-10-2016, 08:12 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,326,711 times
So was there any indication that the gay couple that filed a complaint against the wedding farm owner, the people who passed the anti discrimiation laws, those who investigated and those who made the decision are all atheists? Perhaps it is a case of Christians mistreating Christians? In less of course anyone who is not opposed to same sex marriage are atheists.

Still do not know what laws other than anti discrimiation laws should Christians get a pass from having to obey and if other religious groups would also be extended of the rights to only obey the laws they do not think go against their religion.

Old 03-10-2016, 08:19 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,736,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
No, of course. I apologize if it came off as me saying you were religious. I was speaking with the general "you" when talking about the religious part of it.

I see what you are saying, and I understand why a business owner might say this, but there are problems with it. Take my former city, Memphis, for example. MLGW is the only place you can get you utilities. Now say a gay couple goes in after buying a new house and tries to get the power turned on, and are told, "I'm sorry, we don't deal with your kind around here."

"But, sir, you guys are the only way we can get our power turned on, there are no other options!"

"Guess you will have to move somewhere that has a power company that supports gay marriage!"

The point is, I see what you are saying, but it just can't happen. You would open the doors for every single business to discriminate for no reason other than they feel like it.
Well if there are no other options, that's one thing, but you can't tell me that these gay couples couldn't easily have found another venue, baker, or photographer for their wedding. Your example doesn't sound realistic. I can't imagine gay people are being turned down for electricity, water, housing, you know, the needs, not luxuries in life.

Old 03-10-2016, 08:26 AM

4,851 posts, read 2,285,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
Right? For someone who doesn't care about what we post, and doesn't want to hear it, he sure makes a lot of comments about it! Put me on ignore? Fantastic! Just shows you have no cajones, and can't deal with people showing your beliefs to be a sham. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Having Eusie put you on ignore is sort of like having your neighbors that play music loud til 3 AM in the morning come over after you have complained to the police to inform you that they are NEVER going to play their music again, so NYAH.

I'm sorry , the problem for me is .......what?

Old 03-10-2016, 08:27 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,736,617 times
So Wallflash, I'm curious to see how you will say this is NOT an example of atheists mistreating Christians.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_LNfS47V9M

Oh wait, you'll probably say since it has something to do with freedom of speech then your non-Constitution qualifier nullifies it.

Old 03-10-2016, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Well if there are no other options, that's one thing, but you can't tell me that these gay couples couldn't easily have found another venue, baker, or photographer for their wedding. Your example doesn't sound realistic. I can't imagine gay people are being turned down for electricity, water, housing, you know, the needs, not luxuries in life.
That's what you are not understanding though. If you allow some businesses to say, "I won't serve you because you are gay," you would have to allow them all to do so. It doesn't matter if it "sounds" realistic or not, either. If you allow the farmer to say no to anyone they want, then you would have to let everyone do so, for any reason they want. This would include places like MLGW.

Please just answer this one question for me, okay?

Do you believe that a business should be able to turn away anyone for any reason, as long as it is against their religious beliefs?

Old 03-10-2016, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
Having Eusie put you on ignore is sort of like having your neighbors that play music loud til 3 AM in the morning come over after you have complained to the police to inform you that they are NEVER going to play their music again, so NYAH.

I'm sorry , was this supposed to bother me ?
Right? I guess he thinks our lives somehow are lacking because he has us on ignore. It is actually kinda funny.

Old 03-10-2016, 08:35 AM

20,007 posts, read 13,486,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Decisive Victory for a War Memorial Statue of Jesus | American Center for Law and Justice

The above link is concerning angry atheists trying to get a statue of Jesus taken down. The atheists lost. Boo hool
Hard to find anything about this on the Internet that isn't from the defending ACLJ but it appears that the FFRF elected not to take this particular battle beyond a certain point. It was probably sufficiently grandfathered by 60 years of park service precedent -- bad though that precedent may arguably be -- and by the somewhat ambiguous religiosity of the statues, which memorialize an experience veterans had in mountain warfare of encountering religious shrines they personally found inspiring in remote mountain locations. It could probably have been argued that the statues don't promote religion but memorialize an experience, or some such. There are in my view far more egregious overreach by theists than this. It's not a battle I would have picked.

I point this out because it's a victory-by-default and it doesn't say anything about the particulars of other scuffles and dust-ups.

Old 03-10-2016, 08:54 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,972,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Hard to find anything about this on the Internet that isn't from the defending ACLJ but it appears that the FFRF elected not to take this particular battle beyond a certain point. It was probably sufficiently grandfathered by 60 years of park service precedent -- bad though that precedent may arguably be -- and by the somewhat ambiguous religiosity of the statues, which memorialize an experience veterans had in mountain warfare of encountering religious shrines they personally found inspiring in remote mountain locations. It could probably have been argued that the statues don't promote religion but memorialize an experience, or some such. There are in my view far more egregious overreach by theists than this. It's not a battle I would have picked.

I point this out because it's a victory-by-default and it doesn't say anything about the particulars of other scuffles and dust-ups.
It's not about a victory. It is about atheists going after Christians. Why can't they just leave us alone? The United States was started by man Christian immigrants who came to this country to get away from persecution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality