Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2016, 10:39 PM

2,854 posts, read 2,053,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Many have suspected that those of faith, especially those who vehemently deny evidence of facts that run contrary to their faith, just plain think differently than others who are evidence based in their worldview. A new study, whose link is in the article, sheds some light on this.

Conflicts Between Science and Spirituality Are Rooted In Your Brain

This sign typifies this:

Conclusions include:

There is an opposition between the two networks, according to the research team. When people are experiencing faith in a supernatural entity, they suppress the brain network used for analytical thinking. And when they reason about the physical world, they disengage the brain network involved in empathy and moral reasoning.

And:

The experiments also revealed that favoring analytic thinking correlated with a disbelief in spiritual or religious ideas — likely because faith requires the disengagement of brain networks associated with analytical thought.
There is no analytic mind.
There is deductive and inductive reasoning and there is subjective and objective thinking.

Image might be more readable if you open it in a separate tab
http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/...20160329151806

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2016, 11:49 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,862,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
You totally misunderstood my example of the brakes. You do actually have faith in those brakes. If you did not you would have to take them apart and inspect them every time you used the car.
I think it's you that is understanding what 'faith' is. Faith is the belief that something is true when there is absolutely no evidence to support that it is true. In the case of your brakes there is no faith involved because you have the verifiable evidence that in 100% of the times you applied the brakes, they worked. So you rely on the verifiable evidence not 'faith'.

Now let's turn it around. Let's say that in 100% of cases where you applied your brakes they DIDN'T work and you crashed...to expect them to work the next time you used them would be an act of faith...because what you are expecting/hoping to happen is shown, by the verifiable evidence, to be unlikely to happen.

When you get on an aeroplane are you relying on 'faith' that the plane won't crash? Of course not. You subscribe to the verifiable evidence that 99.9% of aeroplanes arrive at their destination. Again, turning it around. If the verifiable evidence was that 99.9% of planes crashed before reaching their destination, THEN, getting on a plane and expecting it to get you to your destination would be an act of 'faith'.

Old 04-03-2016, 11:49 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,926,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by granpa View Post
There is no analytic mind.
There is deductive and inductive reasoning and there is subjective and objective thinking.

Image might be more readable if you open it in a separate tab
http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/...20160329151806
Who is defining that and on what basis. Analytical mind is a well known usage.

Old 04-03-2016, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post

to insist that others can not have an experience different than yours...is not accurate or correct.
All we insist is that they support their extraordinary claims with verifiable evidence but to most of the people that make such claims, if we do that we are called 'insensitive ________'.

Old 04-04-2016, 12:01 AM

Do you believe life exists on other worlds?

Old 04-04-2016, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
if a person is unwilling or unable to see the difference between "i disagree" and "stupid, imbecilic, ridiculous" then they have a long ways to go in learning and implementing basic healthy communication skills, and mature respectful adult behavior.

it is not about beliefs
it is about taking responsibility for our own behavior, how we conduct ourselves in our speech and in our interactions with others.

if someone becomes violent, angry, aggressive, to the point they derisively attack (belittle, mock, ridicule, insult) and then rationalize and defend and justify their behavior when it is pointed out, then they are not capable of mature, civilized discourse.
Get used to it old thing! It's a new age. We are no longer prepared to walk on broken glass in order to avoid offending the feelings or beliefs of delicate little Christian flowers. We are fighting back against the flow of wilful ignorance and superstition that has smothered the world for too long. We intend to call a spade a spade and if that offends then too bad. If I am confronted by someone that thinks the world is flat, I am not going to say...'well I disagree with you man but hey....I respect your beliefs'. No! I'm going to say 'you are a fool' because THAT is exactly what he is.

Old 04-04-2016, 12:03 AM

11,029 posts, read 5,991,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
You totally misunderstood my example of the brakes. You do actually have faith in those brakes. If you did not you would have to take them apart and inspect them every time you used the car. I could sabotage your brakes and you would still have faith in them although you were just about to go off the thousand foot cliff because they were not trustworthy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
I think it's you that is understanding what 'faith' is. Faith is the belief that something is true when there is absolutely no evidence to support that it is true. In the case of your brakes there is no faith involved because you have the verifiable evidence that in 100% of the times you applied the brakes, they worked. So you rely on the verifiable evidence not 'faith'.
There are two common use=ages of the term 'faith'. The one being belief is something without evidence and the other a belief in something with evidence. It's kinda like the term 'theory'.

I don't have too much 'faith' in my brakes and so I 'believe' I need to service them. They do work OK though but ..... OK, nothing to do with faith and belief in spite of lack of any evidence. My brakes do stop me and they did pass the test (my lack of faith in them led me to having them tested - and replacing the rear tyres). Verifiable evidence!

Old 04-04-2016, 12:26 AM

Do you have faith that life exists on other worlds? What empirical evidence do you have to support such a belief?

Old 04-04-2016, 12:33 AM

11,029 posts, read 5,991,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by granpa View Post
Do you have faith that life exists on other worlds? What empirical evidence do you have to support such a belief?
Me? No I don't have such faith. I'm pretty confident such life does exist though.

So I guess the word 'faith' is is being incorrectly used here in regard the brakes, we should be using the word 'confidence'. It's a bit like theory and hypothesis.

Last edited by 303Guy; 04-04-2016 at 12:46 AM..

Old 04-04-2016, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Get used to it old thing! It's a new age. We are no longer prepared to walk on broken glass in order to avoid offending the feelings or beliefs of delicate little Christian flowers. We are fighting back against the flow of wilful ignorance and superstition that has smothered the world for too long. We intend to call a spade a spade and if that offends then too bad. If I am confronted by someone that thinks the world is flat, I am not going to say...'well I disagree with you man but hey....I respect your beliefs'. No! I'm going to say 'you are a fool' because THAT is exactly what he is.
...and that goes for people that tell me that two of every species on Earth, including the millions of species that have gone extinct and the millions of species yet to be discovered, all fitted onto a boat and stayed there for a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality