Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2016, 10:05 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,711,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinEden99 View Post
<discussion about the discussion>
Moving us back onto the topic, again: The reality is that everyone is equally worthy of basic human decency, even people who believe things you don't. That's really my biggest problem with dogmatic atheism: How readily it seems to lead so many people into grievously immoral behavior.

Discuss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2016, 10:17 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,865,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Remarkably, you had no problem understanding what I wrote well enough to correct my spelling and punctuation and typos;
I had no problem understanding the post by L8 either nor did many other people here. You appear to be the only one that didn't understand it. That could say something about you.

Quote:
So we've reached the crux of the matter, self-ratifying self-promotion. The reality is that everyone is equally worthy of basic human decency, even people who believe things you don't. That's really my biggest problem with dogmatic atheism: How readily it seems to lead so many people into grievously immoral behavior.
If you are going to highlight what I said then please highlight ALL of it. Rather than highlighting...'I have no respect for people....'...include what follow... 'who insist that stupid and verifiably false beliefs are true.' You see, it makes a huge difference. I don't buy the theist stalward of 'quote-mining'. Please stop doing it. It has absolutely nothing to do with beliefs that differ from mine. There are many people that I get on well with that believe things I do not. Yet again you quote-mine what I said, which of course, is the only way you can justify your argument.So please go back and read what I said again.We are not talking about people who believe different things to me. We are talking about people that cling on to beliefs that are palpably untrue and provably false - and they do it by wilful ignorance of the verifiable evidence.Some examples would be...

Aeroplanes don't fly.
The Sun orbits the Earth.
Earth is flat.
The Sun is God's light reflected in a giant mirror.
The planet was once under five miles of water.
Two of every species went into Noah's boat.
Eight people repopulated the Earth after a flood (including all the different races)

Yes. They are have all been put forward as 'undeniable truth' on these very boards. Such nonsense should not be allowed to be propagated and people that hold such beliefs are fools and should be disclosed as such.

Old 04-05-2016, 10:20 AM

1,490 posts, read 1,215,649 times
bUU....you quoted the explanations that you are saying I didn't provide. If you are being obtuse because being wrong (about your perception of personal attack, not necessarily your position on atheists) is too difficult (for whatever reason) to acknowledge....then I'll just suggest that you reflect on your motivation to attach your ego to such semantics.

I'm not posting that because I "don't like" what you said. I'm posting it because you are interpreting attack where it is simply disagreement. And then projecting that if I disagree with you...I am the one who can't handle disagreement.

I am however, in agreement that the discussion about the discussion is growing tired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU

Moving us back onto the topic, again: The reality is that everyone is equally worthy of basic human decency, even people who believe things you don't. That's really my biggest problem with dogmatic atheism: How readily it seems to lead so many people into grievously immoral behavior.
What you are describing is not unique to atheism. People act in accordance with their subjective morality all the time....whether they attribute it to a god or not.

Old 04-05-2016, 10:22 AM

20,018 posts, read 13,496,411 times
Quote:

Discuss.
Already discussed six minutes ahead of you in post #210.

I hope you will substantiate your claim of "grievously immoral behavior". My hyperbole meter is pinning itself.

Old 04-05-2016, 10:30 AM
bUU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
<more pointlessly evasive discussion about the discussion omitted>

We are talking about people that cling on to beliefs that are palpably untrue and provably false
No, we're not, because you posted replies to what I posted, and what I posted was clearly advocating a balancing between the analytical and the moral. If you want to go back now and say that it was a misunderstanding, and you agree with that 100%, I'll be fine with that. That's really what's critical, the matter of affording worth and dignity to those of other beliefs regardless of whether you agree with those beliefs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinEden99 View Post
<more pointlessly evasive discussion about the discussion omitted>

What you are describing is not unique to atheism. People act in accordance with their subjective morality all the time....whether they attribute it to a god or not.
I agree. Another good example is the Progressive Purity Test we see many Bernie Sanders supporters applying these days - no one is a progressive unless they agree with their policy perspectives 100%. Call it dogmatic liberalism. We saw similar dogmatism in play with Occupy Wall Street, and with Black Lives Matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Quote:
That's really my biggest problem with dogmatic atheism: How readily it seems to lead so many people into grievously immoral behavior.
I hope you will substantiate your claim of "grievously immoral behavior". My hyperbole meter is pinning itself.
For that you need to look to the libertarians, and separately the Tea Party movement, especially those who include aspects of the sovereign citizen movement. The dogmatism they apply to American principles distort those principles into almost the opposite of their operational meaning, promoting a self-centeredness and callous disregard for the less fortunate that belies the word "society" itself.

Last edited by bUU; 04-05-2016 at 10:39 AM..

Old 04-05-2016, 10:42 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,865,041 times
Quote:
No, we're not,...
Read what it says....

'I have no respect for people who insist that stupid and verifiably false beliefs are true.'

Old 04-05-2016, 10:59 AM
bUU

No. You read what it says:
Quote:
The Case Western Reserve University and Babson College study acknowledges that “Analytic thinking and moral concern represent two cognitive modes which our neural architecture causes to be in competition with each other.” It is yet another clarion call to folks to stop being so one dimensional. The study doesn't say belief is better because it is correlated with moral concern, and the study doesn't say non-belief is better because it is correlated with analytical thinking. What the study is saying is that the best path forward is an integration of analytical thinking and moral concern. Neither dogmatic religionists nor dogmatic atheists can see their way out of the box within which they've trapped themselves. They struggle to realize that it is dogmatism that is the problem, not religion nor science.

Old 04-05-2016, 10:59 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,928,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_marto View Post
This is just a politically correct way of saying the 'religiously inclined' are ****ing stupid. And it's true. Doesn't matter how strongly they'll obviously try to deny that. They are incapable of reason and it shows every time you try to reason with them.
No, that is not at all what is being said.

What is being said is that they choose not to use their analytical thinking skills when it comes to religion.

Old 04-05-2016, 11:00 AM

18,499 posts, read 9,170,177 times
bUU:

I take issue with your dogmatic non-belief in the Tooth Fairy.

Old 04-05-2016, 11:01 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,928,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.A.Bachlow View Post
Believe in God and respect science...after all God did give you a questioning brain willing to learn.
There is no reason to believe in a god other than to feel good inside. A cup cake does that for me too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality