Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 07:38 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,736,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Jeff, you'd be singing a different tune if the prayers were Muslim prayers.
If I lived in a community that was dominantly Muslim then I would expect it. And could just simply mentally ignore it. Now if they demanded that I get on my knees and bow towards Mecca then that is certainly grounds for protest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2016, 07:52 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,605,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
If I lived in a community that was dominantly Muslim then I would expect it. And could just simply mentally ignore it. Now if they demanded that I get on my knees and bow towards Mecca then that is certainly grounds for protest.
And FFRF would protect you and help you. You should feel happy knowing that jeff

Old 04-05-2016, 09:27 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,736,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
And FFRF would protect you and help you. You should feel happy knowing that jeff
That's nice to know. Are Christians forcing people on their knees? Nope.

Old 04-05-2016, 09:33 AM

3,402 posts, read 2,789,447 times
Quote:
It appears that the case in question went beyond a simple ceremonial prayer to using the school board for Bible readings and proselytizing. They lost on summary judgment. I suppose they could appeal, but I doubt it is going to go very far.

Regardless of the legal ruling, its just simply inappropriate to hijack a school board meeting to try to advance your religion. And it would be equally inappropriate for any other religion to do it as well.

-NoCapo

Old 04-05-2016, 09:42 AM

18,499 posts, read 9,164,949 times
Quote:
I think you'd be singing a different tune if Muslims were the majority nationally.

Old 04-05-2016, 09:48 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,605,673 times
Quote:

Thank god
Not anymore thanks to organizations like FFRF.

Old 04-05-2016, 10:05 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times
It never fails to amaze me what a bunch anti-freedom busybodies can get worked up over.

This board wasn't hurting anyone by praying, and it wasn't violating any laws. But if people want to be offended, they'll figure out a way.

Old 04-05-2016, 10:06 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
I think you'd be singing a different tune if Muslims were the majority nationally.
If the majority of the people in a community were Muslim, then let them pray. That's what our Founding Fathers intended. It's why they specifically limited the Federal Government (Congress) from making a law regarding the establishment of religion.

Old 04-05-2016, 10:18 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,617,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
If the majority of the people in a community were Muslim, then let them pray. That's what our Founding Fathers intended. It's why they specifically limited the Federal Government (Congress) from making a law regarding the establishment of religion.
The founding men and women of this country intended no such thing. Where in the Constitution does it say only the majority get to have their prayers in a public place.

You should really try reading that pocket Constitution. Better yet, get a full copy without the crib notes all done up for you.

Old 04-05-2016, 10:30 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
The founding men and women of this country intended no such thing. Where in the Constitution does it say only the majority get to have their prayers in a public place.

You should really try reading that pocket Constitution. Better yet, get a full copy without the crib notes all done up for you.
These things have been explained to Viz and Jeff repeatedly. For some reason both continue to cling to their truly bizarre ideas about how this country works and the role of the Constitution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality