Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2016, 07:47 AM

1,807 posts, read 1,893,217 times

Advertisements

[quote=Eusebius;44823469]You pick and choose what you want to believe.

A good many Christians in the world seem to be fine with picking-and-choosing what Biblical restrictions to obey.

The Biblical dietary restrictions, for example. If you've ever eaten crab, lobster, calamari, pork, rabbit...Leviticus says you have defiled yourself by eating an 'unclean' animal. Now, you might bring up the old argument that 'the dietary restrictions were abolished with the New Covenant'. Very well, let's examine that argument in its proper context.

Clean and Unclean Foods in the Bible, and Mark 7:19 - Are all foods clean? both provide analysis that concludes that God did not, in fact, abolish the dietary restrictions outlined in the Old Testament, but clarified how they are to be applied.

Additionally, https://www.ucg.org/the-good-news/do...t-distinctions goes into even greater detail, examining the societal context in which the restrictions were given.

Before you accuse others of 'picking and choosing', make certain that you're not inadvertently guilty of the same error.

Old 07-20-2016, 08:00 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,867,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredNotBob View Post
Clean and Unclean Foods in the Bible, and Mark 7:19 - Are all foods clean? both provide analysis that concludes that God did not, in fact, abolish the dietary restrictions outlined in the Old Testament, but clarified how they are to be applied.
Exactly Fred! That is what anyone with half a brain would conclude when the heard... 'Think not that I have come to abolish the Laws. I have not come to abolish them but to fulfil them'.

Christians however, make up nonsense about not having to abide by the Law any more because their Jesus released them from it. They don't even realise that there was nothing for them to be released from...because the laws don't and never did apply to them anyway!

Old 07-20-2016, 09:00 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,750,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post

We can arrange for that too . . . if you had any to begin with. LOL. Now now, don't have a hissy. I am just throwing out the olive branch. So you wouldn't want to get with AREQUIPA and us at the ark? I'm sure we'd really have a good time. I'm sure you aren't as nasty in person as you are behind a computer.
I'm sure we'd get along fine - so long as we didn't discuss religion or politics. If that came up, I at least would insist on a proper debate with a fair chair, remarks (timed and in turns) and a system of points (1). Since otherwise any discussion would be a sham, a show trial, a Gish gallop and a snow job.

(1) evasion, responding by asking a question, claims without substantiation, fallacies, personals, goalpost shifting, quotemining and in fact all the tricks theists get up to, would be scored as points against them.

Old 07-20-2016, 01:39 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,980,170 times
[quote=FredNotBob;44824752]
Quote:
You pick and choose what you want to believe.

A good many Christians in the world seem to be fine with picking-and-choosing what Biblical restrictions to obey.

The Biblical dietary restrictions, for example. If you've ever eaten crab, lobster, calamari, pork, rabbit...Leviticus says you have defiled yourself by eating an 'unclean' animal. Now, you might bring up the old argument that 'the dietary restrictions were abolished with the New Covenant'. Very well, let's examine that argument in its proper context.

Additionally, https://www.ucg.org/the-good-news/do...t-distinctions goes into even greater detail, examining the societal context in which the restrictions were given.

Before you accuse others of 'picking and choosing', make certain that you're not inadvertently guilty of the same error.
Sorry but All the writings in the New Testament other than Paul's are for the Circumcision believers. We of the nations are not under law in any way, shape or form.
Abraham was not under the law. The law came 400 some years after Abraham. Abraham was saved and declared righteous and so are the nations.
Now then, Noah also was not under the law and the food laws under Moses did not apply to him either. Ken Ham's ark display should show this if they have mannequins at a dinner table on the ark, they should be shown eating pork.

Old 07-20-2016, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I'm sure we'd get along fine - so long as we didn't discuss religion or politics. If that came up, I at least would insist on a proper debate with a fair chair, remarks (timed and in turns) and a system of points (1). Since otherwise any discussion would be a sham, a show trial, a Gish gallop and a snow job.

(1) evasion, responding by asking a question, claims without substantiation, fallacies, personals, goalpost shifting, quotemining and in fact all the tricks theists get up to, would be scored as points against them.
I wouldn't even want to go to debate anything. I'd just like to go as friends and have a grand time.

Old 07-20-2016, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Exactly Fred! That is what anyone with half a brain would conclude when the heard... 'Think not that I have come to abolish the Laws. I have not come to abolish them but to fulfil them'.

Christians however, make up nonsense about not having to abide by the Law any more because their Jesus released them from it. They don't even realise that there was nothing for them to be released from...because the laws don't and never did apply to them anyway!
And what does the above have to do with Ken Ham's Ark? Just curious. Could you please tell us especially after the moderator has asked over and over and over again to stay on topic?

Old 07-20-2016, 01:59 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,204,963 times
Quote:
I wouldn't even want to go to debate anything. I'd just like to go as friends and have a grand time.
It would be cool to have a C-D religion board meet-up at the Ark Encounter. Why don't you get on that? Plan it out.

Old 07-20-2016, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
It would be cool to have a C-D religion board meet-up at the Ark Encounter. Why don't you get on that? Plan it out.
We would first need to know when the foreigners would be able to get flights or boat tickets to get here. So the foreigners would first have to conspire together when they could all get here. Once that date is set, the rest would be pretty easy. If Arequippa flew into, oh, say Toledo, Ohio or Lexington, Kentucky, I could pick him up on the way to the ark. I could tie Rafius down on the top of the car like a deer. Oops, sorry Rafi.

Old 07-20-2016, 03:59 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,742,156 times
Stay in Lex if you come here.... Lex and Lou have the most 'pop ups' and 'start ups' eatery wise per capita of any cities in the US.

Northern KY (greater Cincy) is Urban Sprawl. You aren't in horse country.

And if you come, don't fall in love with the beauty of the state! Whether it be the horse country, the mountains in the east, the river lands, the lake district all along the border with TN, or the MS river area of the west....

Ask most that drove through... one of the prettiest I-state drives.

Old 07-20-2016, 04:20 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,634,435 times
Yeah, the drive north from Lex is really nice. I wouldn't call it one of the prettiest in the country by any means, but one of the prettier interstate stretches in Kentucky. I like the drive north to Cincinnati, but the really beautiful interstates are east and southeast, in the mountains. Most of Kentucky isn't really anything special, until you get into the hills.

Lexington would be the best city to stay in, but the hardest to fly into. Louisville has more flight options than Lexington, but is a longer drive, and perhaps not quite as pretty. Cincinnati may have the best flights, and the shortest drive.

If it really happens, I'd love to meet y'all, but won't be going to the Ark. I wouldn't waste a day there even if it were free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality