Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 11:48 AM

15,850 posts, read 6,311,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
I have seen your "standing up in protest."

During the France attacks, the first thing alot of Muslims did was talked about was about how "outraged" they were and "not all Muslims are like that." That is, the very first thing they did was exactly what you accuse us of, pulling the No True Scotsman play.

Only, then there was Orlando. And the truck thing. And a few more, including one in Richmond VA.

You want to prove you are better? Renounce Islam, and accept Jesus as your Lord and Savior. Or hell, you can join Wicca or Buddhism for all I care. The point is, dissociate yourself from Islam.

What? You have the "courage" to die in suicide attacks, but don't have courage enough to stand up even at the risk of death, and be an apostate to a religion that makes you a "good" person if you hurt and kill?
Now your down with Apostates? Christian Apostates are doing the same thing you are calling out Islam to do. How is it working? Is calling out the shameful practices done in the name Christianity having any effect on you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2016, 12:04 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,183,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Stop.

I thought you condemned the act. I thought you meant it. Just stop, because now it looks like your backsliding.
I do condemn it. But the point needs to be made that there IS a difference between threats and actual violence. You and others here don't seem to recognize that.
Quote:
BTW, this is not the Christian board, this is the R&S board. I notice no Christians are loudly denouncing this radical Islamic attack. I wonder why?
Maybe because they're just tired of your games. I wonder how many even bother to read your posts anymore, or how many of them have you on their ignore list.

Old 08-11-2016, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredNotBob View Post
And you lecture us on how Christianity is not violent; indeed, no 'True Christian' can ever be violent, because they then lose their vaunted 'True Christian' status. Conversely, according to the twisted mindset of the patriot fanatic, no 'true Muslim' can ever be peaceful; no matter how many stand up in protest, they are all considered violent fanatics bent on destroying the US.
Since it's not a teaching of Christianity, I can conclusively say that Christians do not do terrorist attacks. For that matter, we don't see the number of angry Methodists and Lutherans bombing, cutting heads off, driving trucks into crowds, etc....that we see self-identifying Muslims do. it just doesn't happen.
Quote:
No 'True Christian' is flawed or violent; at the same time, 'no true Muslim' is ever peaceful. That's not just a No True Scotsman fallacy, it's bundled right in there with hypocrisy, double-standards, and xenophobia.
As long as you guys are calling every American a Christian, I'm going to keep up the argument that it takes more than attending a VBS once when they were 6 to be a Christian.

Old 08-11-2016, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunatat View Post
What ever BS the OP is trying to pull, it pales in comparison to what Islam is doing. Christians are not the problem as the OP is trying in a lame way to imply.
It's what he does. It's one of his daily deliberately offensive or provocative online postings with the aim of upsetting someone or eliciting an angry response from them.

Old 08-11-2016, 01:05 PM

1,807 posts, read 1,891,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Since it's not a teaching of Christianity, I can conclusively say that Christians do not do terrorist attacks. For that matter, we don't see the number of angry Methodists and Lutherans bombing, cutting heads off, driving trucks into crowds, etc....that we see self-identifying Muslims do. it just doesn't happen.
So, the Gunpowder Plot (triggered by the Protestant Reformation and perpetrated by English Catholics), the explicitly-Protestant KKK (whose actions literally fit the dictionary definition of the word 'terrorism'), and the current actions of Christian militia groups in the Central African Republic 'don't count' because they're supposedly 'not Christian'?

That's exactly what I mean, Vizio -- once again, Christianity gets to wash its hands of the black sheep in its midst, and remain unspoiled in its so-called 'perfection'.

Quote:
As long as you guys are calling every American a Christian, I'm going to keep up the argument that it takes more than attending a VBS once when they were 6 to be a Christian.
Where did I say that? I hardly consider 'every American' a Christian. I raise the counter-argument that whether you consider a person to be Christian or not is not relevant, because it depends entirely on your definition of what a 'Christian' should be.

If we were to define 'Christianity' using the strictest Biblical interpretation, nobody in the modern era is Christian. There are just too many aspects of Biblical Christianity that are no longer relevant to modern life, or are simply ignored because there's no (legal or convenient) way to obey a given rule.

So, I want to perform an experiment: you tell me what a 'true Christian' is, and I'll see how many of your criteria I meet. I'm not trying to mock, Vizio -- I'm sincerely curious to see if I (a non-Christian) can qualify for the label of 'true Christian' as defined by a believer.

Old 08-11-2016, 01:12 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,917,771 times
Quote:
It's what he does. It's one of his daily deliberately offensive or provocative online postings with the aim of upsetting someone or eliciting an angry response from them.
But as Geekigirl said, why is it that christians are not denouncing loudly and often the issues I post on? Why is that?

Are they like **********s and secretly agree with them?

Old 08-11-2016, 01:13 PM

Quote:
But as Geekigirl said, why is it that christians are not denouncing loudly and often the issues I post on? Why is that?

Are they like **********s and secretly agree with them?
I did.

But as I said--I honestly doubt that most Christians even care to read your posts at this point. I certainly don't know of any Christian that celebrates that kind of stuff.

Old 08-11-2016, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredNotBob View Post
So, the Gunpowder Plot (triggered by the Protestant Reformation and perpetrated by English Catholics),
Wow. You go back to 1605 for a "Christian terrorism" act. Yay. I can probably find one from YESTERDAY that was done by a MUSLIM.

Get over it. THis is the kind of nonsense that make you guys look bad.
Quote:
the explicitly-Protestant KKK (whose actions literally fit the dictionary definition of the word 'terrorism'), and the current actions of Christian militia groups in the Central African Republic 'don't count' because they're supposedly 'not Christian'?
Yes. That's correct. Christianity does not teach that stuff. To do that stuff is not Christian. I don't know of any Christian that does do that stuff.

And if you are going to tell me that they are Christians, then are you going to call ISIS "Muslim"? Will you call Stalin an atheist and say that he is what atheism is about? Pol Pot?
Quote:
That's exactly what I mean, Vizio -- once again, Christianity gets to wash its hands of the black sheep in its midst, and remain unspoiled in its so-called 'perfection'.
That's because YOU have yet to actually show me how any of those groups (few and far between) actually are doing what Christianity teaches.
Quote:
Where did I say that? I hardly consider 'every American' a Christian. I raise the counter-argument that whether you consider a person to be Christian or not is not relevant, because it depends entirely on your definition of what a 'Christian' should be.

If we were to define 'Christianity' using the strictest Biblical interpretation, nobody in the modern era is Christian. There are just too many aspects of Biblical Christianity that are no longer relevant to modern life, or are simply ignored because there's no (legal or convenient) way to obey a given rule.
I'm a Christian. I hold to the same faith that was taught by the apostles.
Quote:
So, I want to perform an experiment: you tell me what a 'true Christian' is, and I'll see how many of your criteria I meet. I'm not trying to mock, Vizio -- I'm sincerely curious to see if I (a non-Christian) can qualify for the label of 'true Christian' as defined by a believer.
A Christian is someone who believes that Jesus Christ died on the cross and rose again in payment for their sins. Their life is characterized by a desire to submit to God. It does not include a desire to do violence to innocents.

Old 08-11-2016, 01:34 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,075,840 times
Quote:
Wow. You go back to 1605 for a "Christian terrorism" act. Yay.

A Christian is someone who believes that Jesus Christ died on the cross and rose again in payment for their sins. Their life is characterized by a desire to submit to God. It does not include a desire to do violence to innocents.
Nah. You don't need to go anywhere near that far back.

Quote:
"My feelings as a Christian points me to my Lord and Savior as a fighter. It points me to the man who once in loneliness, surrounded by a few followers, recognized these Jews for what they were and summoned men to fight against them and who, God's truth! was greatest not as a sufferer but as a fighter. In boundless love as a Christian and as a man I read through the passage which tells us how the Lord at last rose in His might and seized the scourge to drive out of the Temple the brood of vipers and adders. How terrific was His fight for the world against the Jewish poison. To-day, after two thousand years, with deepest emotion I recognize more profoundly than ever before the fact that it was for this that He had to shed His blood upon the Cross. As a Christian I have no duty to allow myself to be cheated, but I have the duty to be a fighter for truth and justice... And if there is anything which could demonstrate that we are acting rightly it is the distress that daily grows. For as a Christian I have also a duty to my own people.

Spoiler
-Adolf Hitler, in a speech on 12 April 1922 (Norman H. Baynes, ed. The Speeches of Adolf Hitler, April 1922-August 1939, Vol. 1 of 2, pp. 19-20, Oxford University Press, 1942)

So, are you going to argue that what he did wasn't terrorism? Or that he wasn't a {cough, cough} "true christian"?

Old 08-11-2016, 01:36 PM

6,855 posts, read 2,843,753 times
Quote:
Thank you, you get it.
You're welcome. Thank you as well.

Quote:
We often hear that normal Muslims must get there radicals in line, and create an atmosphere that is non-violent. Why do Christians give other Christians a pass? Or an excuse? Or minimize the issues?
I really wish I knew. I wonder that too. We should be most critical of ourselves, and one another. ANd not condemning others. Sadly, it seems most are the opposite. Condemning others, and giving themselves and other a pass, either justifying their own behavior, or simply ignoring it.

Quote:
After all, remember Luke 4:23:

And he said unto them, Ye will surely say unto me this proverb, Physician, heal thyself: whatsoever we have heard done in Capernaum, do also here in thy country.

There is a lesson there (yes, the bible does have real lessons that should be applied in real life, beyond the spiritual). Use it.
Indeed. What we do, how we interact with the world, has to begin in front of a mirror.

Quote:
An atheist does not have to be anti-theist, as long as the theist does not use their believe system to attempt to impact through coercion or law on to others. I strongly support the freedom of religion; in your own mind, in your home and place of worship. Not elsewhere, as then you impose your believes on others who don't.

I rarely speak of my faith, I do often here, but as far as proselytizing. I refuse to do that. I let my life speak for me. I can't save anyone, and refuse to try. If someone asks, I'll talk about it, though I won't call anyone a sinner, or use the threat of hell as a tool of conversion. Faith has to come on it's own, or it isn't real.

Religious freedom...I agree, but have big issues with that phrase. Some Christians throw it around to mean "freedom for Christians only." I'm also fiesty about the efforts of some Christians to replace the Constitution with the Bible. That scares the hell out of me. I realize that it isn't likely, but we have to be incredibly vigilant to keep it that way, and we have to be aware of who we vote for. Dominionism is a thing, and it's implications are terrifying. I believe that history bears this out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality