Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 01:38 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Nah. You don't need to go anywhere near that far back.

[/indent]
Spoiler
-Adolf Hitler, in a speech on 12 April 1922 (Norman H. Baynes, ed. The Speeches of Adolf Hitler, April 1922-August 1939, Vol. 1 of 2, pp. 19-20, Oxford University Press, 1942)

So, are you going to argue that what he did wasn't terrorism? Or that he wasn't a {cough, cough} "true christian"?
Adolph Hitler used Christianity. Just like we see money-grubbing televangelists use Christianity today. Just like we saw wicked popes use Christianity hundreds of years ago. The fact that someone uses Christianity to do wicked things doesn't make one a Christian.

Can you show me by his life that he lived out Christianity? James wrote in his epistle that you can CLAIM to be a believer in God....good--because the demons do, as well. But we can tell if you REALLY are by what you do. He obviously did not DO anything to make us believe he was a Christian. In fact, he did evil. By his actions, he demonstrated that he had more in common with atheists---because he did not fear the judgment of God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2016, 01:39 PM

1,807 posts, read 1,892,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Wow. You go back to 1605 for a "Christian terrorism" act. Yay. I can probably find one from YESTERDAY that was done by a MUSLIM.
It. Happened. Whether yesterday or today, it happened. Arguing the date doesn't change that, or make it irrelevant. By your own claim, Christians do not indulge in terrorism, and I have just delivered several historically-verified examples that prove they do.

Quote:
Yes. That's correct. Christianity does not teach that stuff. To do that stuff is not Christian. I don't know of any Christian that does do that stuff.
Yet in all of the examples I cited, those involved interpreted the Bible to claim that it did.

Quote:
And if you are going to tell me that they are Christians, then are you going to call ISIS "Muslim"? Will you call Stalin an atheist and say that he is what atheism is about? Pol Pot?

That's because YOU have yet to actually show me how any of those groups (few and far between) actually are doing what Christianity teaches.
And you have yet to demonstrate that ISIS actually practices what Islam teaches.

Quote:
I'm a Christian. I hold to the same faith that was taught by the apostles.
If we hold ISIS up to the same scrutiny, they say the same thing about Islam. Granted, they twist and contort the Qu'ran to fit a sick and corrupt definition of 'Islam', but they still believe they're following the path.

Quote:
A Christian is someone who believes that Jesus Christ died on the cross and rose again in payment for their sins. Their life is characterized by a desire to submit to God.
By that definition, I'm Christian. I was Confirmed in the United Church when I was 14, and though I left the church and dedicated myself to the Wiccan path a short while later, and I no longer hold Christian beliefs, I never explicitly recanted my confirmation (to be honest, I rarely think of it at all, these days).

Old 08-11-2016, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredNotBob View Post
It. Happened. Whether yesterday or today, it happened. Arguing the date doesn't change that, or make it irrelevant. By your own claim, Christians do not indulge in terrorism, and I have just delivered several historically-verified examples that prove they do.
Christianity does not teach it, no.
Quote:

Yet in all of the examples I cited, those involved interpreted the Bible to claim that it did.
They selfishly justified their actions according to a misreading of the text.
Quote:

And you have yet to demonstrate that ISIS actually practices what Islam teaches.
They claim to be Muslim. if you're going to just accept that the above folks were Christians, it's not necessary to "prove" anything.
Quote:

If we hold ISIS up to the same scrutiny, they say the same thing about Islam. Granted, they twist and contort the Qu'ran to fit a sick and corrupt definition of 'Islam', but they still believe they're following the path.
If you're willing to say Christians don't commit violence, then I'm willing to say ISIS are not Muslims. Deal?
Quote:

By that definition, I'm Christian. I was Confirmed in the United Church when I was 14, and though I left the church and dedicated myself to the Wiccan path a short while later, I never explicitly recanted my confirmation (to be honest, I rarely think of it at all, these days).
Do you currently believe that Jesus Christ paid for your sin on the cross? That he is the ONLY way you can get to Heaven?

Old 08-11-2016, 01:44 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times
Quote:
I did.

But as I said--I honestly doubt that most Christians even care to read your posts at this point. I certainly don't know of any Christian that celebrates that kind of stuff.
I suspect there is more than one ********** who identifies as christian and among his buddies endorses that stuff.

Old 08-11-2016, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
I suspect there is more than one ********** who identifies as christian and among his buddies endorses that stuff.
And I suspect that you continue to make generalized statements about people and things you have demonstrated to know nothing about.

Old 08-11-2016, 02:08 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,082,573 times
Quote:
Adolph Hitler used Christianity. Just like we see money-grubbing televangelists use Christianity today. Just like we saw wicked popes use Christianity hundreds of years ago. The fact that someone uses Christianity to do wicked things doesn't make one a Christian.

Can you show me by his life that he lived out Christianity? James wrote in his epistle that you can CLAIM to be a believer in God....good--because the demons do, as well. But we can tell if you REALLY are by what you do. He obviously did not DO anything to make us believe he was a Christian. In fact, he did evil. By his actions, he demonstrated that he had more in common with atheists---because he did not fear the judgment of God.
Unhuh, so you're going with the "not a true christian" argument.

Got it.

He believed he was a christian doing his god's work. Not fear judgement? Of course he didn't, he believed he was the 'sword of the lord' (my words) fighting the 'good fight'. No different from every and any other whackjob that uses a 'holy book' to [attempt to] justify discriminating [against], controlling and abusing other people.

As far as I'm concerned, your refusal to see the problem and insistence on making up lame excuses such as this makes you every bit as bad as them.

Old 08-11-2016, 02:09 PM

1,807 posts, read 1,892,367 times
Quote:
Christianity does not teach it, no.

They selfishly justified their actions according to a misreading of the text.

They claim to be Muslim. if you're going to just accept that the above folks were Christians, it's not necessary to "prove" anything.
Oh, yes it is. You made the assertion -- now back it up.

Quote:
If you're willing to say Christians don't commit violence, then I'm willing to say ISIS are not Muslims. Deal?
No. No deal.

In the first case, I'm not going to accept a premise that I have already demonstrated is untrue. In the second case, you yourself admitted above that they misinterpret what they read -- which means they read it and believe in it, or else they wouldn't be able to 'misinterpret' what they read to claim that it supports violence.

Quote:
Do you currently believe that Jesus Christ paid for your sin on the cross? That he is the ONLY way you can get to Heaven?
Ooh, a loaded question. Sneaky -- and utterly transparent. If I answer with 'no', you'll claim that I've just 'explicitly recanted'. If I answer 'yes', you'll call me an apostate and accuse me of double-standards.

So I'm not going to answer that question at all.

Old 08-11-2016, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Unhuh, so you're going with the "not a true christian" argument.

Got it.
Until you can demonstrate that he was, yes. That's what I'm going with.
Quote:
He believed he was a christian doing his god's work. Not fear judgement? Of course he didn't, he believed he was the 'sword of the lord' (my words) fighting the 'good fight'. No different from every and any other whackjob that uses a 'holy book' to [attempt to] justify discriminating [against], controlling and abusing other people.
And I've seen accounts of him being into the occult and other things that are anti-christian...in addition to killing 8 million Jews. The fact that he claimed that it was God's will to do it PROVES that he was not a Christian.
Quote:

As far as I'm concerned, your refusal to see the problem and insistence on making up lame excuses such as this makes you every bit as bad as them.
And as far as I'm concerned, you seem to be willing to accuse Christianity of horrible things while making excuses for the current issues of radical Islam killing anyone that they disagree with.

Old 08-11-2016, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredNotBob View Post
Oh, yes it is. You made the assertion -- now back it up.

No. No deal.

In the first case, I'm not going to accept a premise that I have already demonstrated is untrue. In the second case, you yourself admitted above that they misinterpret what they read -- which means they read it and believe in it, or else they wouldn't be able to 'misinterpret' what they read to claim that it supports violence.

Ooh, a loaded question. Sneaky -- and utterly transparent. If I answer with 'no', you'll claim that I've just 'explicitly recanted'. If I answer 'yes', you'll call me an apostate and accuse me of double-standards.

So I'm not going to answer that question at all.
Let me know if you're interested in having an adult discussion.

Old 08-11-2016, 02:23 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times
Quote:
And I suspect that you continue to make generalized statements about people and things you have demonstrated to know nothing about.
Vizio, I have been at a Trump rally. I've been surrounded by the **********s. It is not a good feeling, and as I said, I felt dirty leaving there. They are racists, homophobes and far from what a true conservative is. Scary people, and yes, I DO know what I am talking about.

Trump catering to the trumapanzees will ensure a Clinton election. I bet most of those **********s are comfortably in their pews on Sunday's. Getting railed upon whatever their SBC or Calvinist or Free Evangelical pastor decides to rant about, and he will get met with a hail of Amens, just like Trump did at the rally I was at.

Religion and politics should not mix, but in parts of 'Murica, they do. And the **********s are front and center of that mix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality