Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 03:07 AM

1,379 posts, read 1,761,063 times

Advertisements

Don't understand how souls can be in heaven or hell currently. I thought according to the Bible that Judgement Day is in the future and that it is THEN that souls will be judged to go to heaven or hell. I'm atheist by the way so I am just inquiring as to this belief to clarify what Bible believers think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2017, 05:03 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,712,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
Don't understand how souls can be in heaven or hell currently. I thought according to the Bible that Judgement Day is in the future and that it is THEN that souls will be judged to go to heaven or hell. I'm atheist by the way so I am just inquiring as to this belief to clarify what Bible believers think.
There is a discrepancy between the two conflicting ideas of the coming Last Days, Jesus coming on the clouds, the graves opening and the resurrection then. This is the Pharaseeical Jewish idea held by the apostles and Paul (his discussion of meeting Jesus in mid -air is after the graves 'open' which even he thought was imminent), and the Christian idea of gong to heaven or hell after a judgement directly after death.

I'm not sure where the latter idea came from, but it wasn't part of the original apostolic thought, and even the gospels are written with the last days and return of the messiah in mind.

Old 01-03-2017, 07:31 AM

19,990 posts, read 13,470,976 times
Quote:
Most of our current conception of hell comes from Dante, not the scriptures. To the extent the scriptures appear to support those concepts it is because of dicey translation of key terms. The notion of the unending flames comes for example from references to the garbage dump outside Jerusalem where refuse was perpetually burned, and the concept it meant to convey was that miscreants would be discarded like so much rubbish. That reference is meaningless to modern readers (and translators), hence the tendency to overdetermine and spiritualize the meaning.

Those who teach "universal reconciliation" actually do a fair job of explaining all this. If I were still a believer today, I would probably be persuaded by their arguments.

Beyond those points, I was always taught that the main difference between the immediate afterlife you or I would experience if we slit our throats here and now, and the long-term afterlife past the resurrection of the dead, is that we wouldn't have a physical body until the resurrection of the dead. So the bliss or torment would be purely spiritual and non-physical. This sounds lame of course, because it is ... but there you have it. Just one more way in which disparate and conflicting notions are "harmonized" for popular consumption.

Old 01-03-2017, 09:29 AM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
You're right. Souls are currently awaiting their resurrection in an intermediate state of existence, which may be heaven-like or hell-like, depending upon how they lived their lives. But souls don't go immediately to either Heaven or Hell upon death. It would be kind of silly, when you stop to think about it (as you apparently have) for souls to go to Heaven for a period of time (in s a spirit state), and then at Judgment Day, to be resurrected, judged and maybe sent to Hell instead.

Old 01-03-2017, 12:15 PM

18,491 posts, read 9,157,203 times
It's my understanding that some Christian groups hold to the idea of "soul sleep" where a person is "asleep" between death and judgement day.

Old 01-03-2017, 12:27 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,216,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
It's my understanding that some Christian groups hold to the idea of "soul sleep" where a person is "asleep" between death and judgement day.
Aren't these Jehovah Witnesses? They say there is a "waiting"room where we get another chance at redemption?

many believe the "rapture"occurs upon DEATH and it is then that the words of Christ are manifested--

"I am," said Jesus. "And you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty One and coming on the clouds of heaven."

Old 01-03-2017, 04:27 PM

19,990 posts, read 13,470,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Aren't these Jehovah Witnesses? They say there is a "waiting"room where we get another chance at redemption?

many believe the "rapture"occurs upon DEATH and it is then that the words of Christ are manifested--

"I am," said Jesus. "And you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty One and coming on the clouds of heaven."
Yes, but not just them. The Seventh Day Adventists teach it, for example. Tyndale and some other reformation leaders argued for it, partly as an antidote to doctrines of the Catholic church such as purgatory and limbo.

Old 01-03-2017, 04:28 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,026,116 times
Quote:
They are in the ground...

Old 01-03-2017, 04:32 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,375,370 times
Texan, you're an atheist?
Live your life...be happy...enjoy ...don't get
muddled in what Christians believe!
I beg of you....
Bored? Learn about quantum physics, instead.

Old 01-03-2017, 05:38 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,223,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post

In other words: dead in the ground. But that does appear to be what the bible teaches.

Last edited by mensaguy; 01-04-2017 at 07:02 AM.. Reason: Don't use red text.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality