Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2017, 12:26 AM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewitness View Post
I will answer your question...but first, please tell me...do you believe we live on a spinning ball in a heliocentric system?
Of course, we do, littlewitness. The existing evidence is overwhelming. Are you toying with the forum????

Old 05-25-2017, 01:21 AM

1,220 posts, read 987,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Of course, we do, littlewitness. The existing evidence is overwhelming. Are you toying with the forum????
If you believe this MysticPhD, then it's a matter of faith...not science. Check this out...

"Verily, verily, I say unto thee, We speak that we do know, and testify that we have seen; and ye receive not our witness. If I have told you earthly things, and ye believe not, how shall ye believe, if I tell you of heavenly things?" (John) 3:11 KJV

Jesus said..."We speak that we do know"...science is "knowing" not believing..."knowing" based on personal observation, question, research, hypothesis, experiment, conclusion, results, repeat, confirm.

...not one person alive can honestly say that they "know" the earth is a spinning ball in a heliocentric system. Everyone has to take it on faith.
And there it is...as for me and my house, we "know" for a an observable fact that this strange and beautiful graveyard we live on/in is a flat plane.

Old 05-25-2017, 01:50 AM

Quote:
If you believe this MysticPhD, then it's a matter of faith...not science. Check this out...

"Verily, verily, I say unto thee, We speak that we do know, and testify that we have seen; and ye receive not our witness. If I have told you earthly things, and ye believe not, how shall ye believe, if I tell you of heavenly things?" (John) 3:11 KJV

Jesus said..."We speak that we do know"...science is "knowing" not believing..."knowing" based on personal observation, question, research, hypothesis, experiment, conclusion, results, repeat, confirm.

...not one person alive can honestly say that they "know" the earth is a spinning ball in a heliocentric system. Everyone has to take it on faith.
And there it is...as for me and my house, we "know" for a an observable fact that this strange and beautiful graveyard we live on/in is a flat plane.
...furthermore, everyone always says..."I'll believe it when I see it." Belief/faith does not come by seeing. Faith comes by hearing....and that of the Word of God. Science/knowing however, comes by observation...by seeing.

Old 05-25-2017, 02:12 AM

11,021 posts, read 5,989,338 times
Quote:
I will answer your question...but first, please tell me...do you believe we live on a spinning ball in a heliocentric system?
That's a good question. Do I 'believe' it?

To answer that I'd say this; to me the term 'believe' means one of two things - believing something to be so without any supporting evidence and against solid evidence to the contrary OR being of the provisional opinion that something is so, i.e. have not yet confirmed it. An example would be; I believe you believe the earth is flat. The indications are that is what believe but until you tell me one way or the other, I cannot be sure. That means I don't know for a fact. I actually doubt that you do ....

With that definition, I do not 'believe' we live on a spinning ball. I know it for a fact. I have confirmed it for myself, done the logic, seen the evidence. Just the logic is enough to convince me.

Last edited by 303Guy; 05-25-2017 at 02:21 AM..

Old 05-25-2017, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
That's a good question. Do I 'believe' it. To answer that I'd say this, to me the term 'believe' means one of two things; believing something to be so without any supporting evidence and against solid evidence to the contrary OR being of the provisional opinion that something is so, i.e. have not yet confirmed it.

With that definition, I do not believe we live on a spinning ball. I know it for a fact. I have confirmed it for myself, done the logic, seen the evidence. Just the logic is enough to convince me.
Have you observed water finding it's curve in a cup...bathtub...pond...lake...ocean? Have you observed commercial jets landing at 180-200 knots on a landmass that mainstream "science" says is moving at roughly 1000 mph without an explosion? Have you ever tried jumping onto a merry-go-round after it's been spinning wildly?
Since your own personal observation of an airplane taxing down the runway has demonstrated to you that you're not going to run and grab the wheels just before take-off...what or who has convinced you that that airplane will be able to land at only 200 knots on a land mass that is moving at 1000 mph?

Old 05-25-2017, 06:26 AM

33,230 posts, read 26,455,707 times
Quote:

Try telling that to all the astronauts who have orbited the earth and are at this very moment in orbit around the earth on the International space station.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtU_mdL2vBM

''Started streaming on Apr 5, 2017

Live (2017) NASA Earth from Space - "International Astronomy Day" ��, ISS HD Video is presented. NASA Live stream of Earth seen from space powered by NASA HDEV cameras aboard the International Space Station. Watch the Earth roll Captured by HDEV cameras on board the International Space Station.''

Old 05-25-2017, 06:39 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,099,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post

Believers often say, God wants you to have faith. But believing by faith is merely believing without evidence, so we circle back to my question. Why are we expected to believe without evidence?
Without faith, the standing wave that is our universe through all space time would never collapse into any reality. As such god created life, without which his work would never fully manifest.

Old 05-25-2017, 07:24 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,324,939 times
Quote:

*sigh*

This is why religion is the bane of human progress. Thanks for exemplifying that.

No, we do NOT have to take basic 6th grade science on faith.

Never mind the fact that anyone who has flown in space can testify that we live on a spinning ball in space via personal observation, the mathematics bore this out.

And there ARE observations that prove we live in a heliocentric solar system. For instance, planets moving in retrograde motion can only be explained by earth being one planet among the rest orbiting the sun.

It's one thing to doubt the high level science that even the scientists admit hasn't been proven.

But telling everyone they have to take the "spinning ball orbiting the sun" type of science on "faith" is just patently wrong, not to mention absurd, and represents some of the worst kind of religious propaganda there is.

There's nothing like proposing arguments that *sound* reasonable on the surface because, unfortunately, a lot of people don't bother to think much about what they read. Thus religious people often "get away with" wonky logic like the kind you're using in your post. Those who understand the science, on the other hand, realize that the scientific method actually works. There is far more to orbital mechanics than your simplistic notion of it.

How do we know the earth is spinning? Well, never mind the fact that we have sunrises and sunsets, the fact that we have a spinning molten iron core proves it. How do we know that? Because the earth has a magnetic field. How do we know that? Because life exists which it couldn't if DNA was constantly being destroyed by cosmic rays, and the magnetic field protects us from cosmic rays and the solar winds. (There are other reasons why we know there's a magnetic field, as well).

And then there's parallax - the changing positions of the stars. We can tell the earth is orbiting the sun because the positions of the stars change ever so slightly as we move around our star. You DO know that the sun is a star ... right? Just making sure you don't have some bizarre "faith based" reasoning to doubt the sun is a star and not a huge yellow beach ball or something. Yes, you can measure the distance the star "moved" every 6 months when the earth is on the other side of the sun from when you made your initial measurement. Those two observations together will result in a "distance" that a star moved proving we are obiting the sun ... all with just observational data.

On and on it goes ... based on observational data.

Not faith.

Period.

Last edited by Shirina; 05-25-2017 at 07:36 AM.. Reason: I had "faith" that my first post was actually a Bolivian ground sloth. I shot it and started a new post.

Old 05-25-2017, 07:29 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,861,012 times
Quote:
As I said to face man, I'll answer his (and now yours) question directly without any padding from the white room I sleep in, but first answer my question...do you actually believe your living on a spinning ball in a heliocentric system?
I know it. I have seen it with my own eyes

Old 05-25-2017, 07:37 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,324,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by functionofx View Post
Without faith, the standing wave that is our universe through all space time would never collapse into any reality. As such god created life, without which his work would never fully manifest.
*blink*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality