Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2017, 11:22 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,642,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
It's simple. Normally, I wouldn't respond to something that wastes my time, but it's just so simple.

Do you believe in an afterlife?

No.

So, if there is no afterlife, you don't face any consequences or personal responsibility for how you lived your life on earth.

Is it really this hard to understand? Isn't that the premise behind atheism? There is no afterlife.

Please, think about what you write before you address me so condescendingly. Please let this sink in.
There are all sorts of consequences to actions which have nothing at all to do with belief in a deity, or lack thereof.

BTW, while it is true I don't believe there is an afterlife, it is also true I don't believe there isn't. I simply don't know. What I suspect is true is that our life energy is recycled in some way. How exactly, I have no idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2017, 11:23 AM

3,271 posts, read 2,191,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
There are all sorts of consequences to actions which have nothing at all to do with belief in a deity, or lack thereof.

BTW, while it is true I don't believe there is an afterlife, it is also true I don't believe there isn't. I simply don't know. What I suspect is true is that our life energy is recycled in some way. How exactly, I have no idea.
So if you have a suspicion about life that you can't prove, you're a genius, but if I have a suspicion I can't prove, I'm an idiot?

Okay. I see how this works.

Old 05-22-2017, 11:24 AM

993 posts, read 1,768,373 times
Quote:
It's simple. Normally, I wouldn't respond to something that wastes my time, but it's just so simple.

Do you believe in an afterlife?

No.

So, if there is no afterlife, you don't face any consequences or personal responsibility for how you lived your life on earth.

Is it really this hard to understand? Isn't that the premise behind atheism? There is no afterlife.

Please, think about what you write before you address me so condescendingly. Please let this sink in.
Do you not realize that there are consequences for our actions while we are alive here? Or is the only consequence that counts burning in Hell forever?

Old 05-22-2017, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC01 View Post
Do you not realize that there are consequences for our actions while we are alive here? Or is the only consequence that counts burning in Hell forever?
It honestly depends on your perspective. You have consequences because you are inconsequential. I'm not trying to offend you as I'm on the same boat, but you have to broaden your perspective.

Old 05-22-2017, 11:35 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Quote:
So if you have a suspicion about life that you can't prove, you're a genius, but if I have a suspicion I can't prove, I'm an idiot?

No you don't. If the rationalist has a suspicion about life they can't prove, they keep it in the pending tray marked "unverified hypothesis" until they can. If the Believer has a suspicion about life they can't prove, they believe it is true on Faith until it is comprehensively debunked. And sometimes they will believe it even then, on the 'Scienists don't know everything" argument.

NOW you do know how it works.

Old 05-22-2017, 11:40 AM

1,333 posts, read 884,076 times
Quote:

This is not a fair comparison. Petunia did not use his or her suspicion as grounds to argue against anyone.

Quote:
It honestly depends on your perspective. You have consequences because you are inconsequential. I'm not trying to offend you as I'm on the same boat, but you have to broaden your perspective.
I think it would be more accurate to say we have consequences because we lived in a structured society. I'm not sure what you're suggesting.
Also, it would be fair to say that on a personal level, consequences generally attempt to suppress regressive and harmful actions from happening to me or preventing me to target those actions at someone else.
On a broader scale, those consequences are aimed to keeping society under control so that forward movement can be achieved. IE, thinking only of myself, a speed limit might or might not make sense. I might expect that I could judge the roads and react accordingly. I could even get along fine like that for a while.
When you look at the big picture though, if everyone were to do that, we'd have chaos. So, we have consequences.

It sounds like one could accurately say that the broader picture you're referring to only makes sense through the lens of someone who already believes there IS a broader picture; which they must take on zero evidence.

Old 05-22-2017, 11:45 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,329,567 times
Quote:

So the only people who have consequences for their actions are Hindu as what you come back as is determined by your behaviour in this life. We are not in the same boat as I am not trying to offend people and then hide behind a religion. Actually as your intension is to offend and misrepresent and to ignore what others think you are neither taking responsibility for yourself nor trying to broaden your understandings. In fact from your posts it appears you have zero interest in further understanding of others. I for one am not inconsequential to those whours cout to me. Thanks for the entertainment however you have little of value to share and probably that is the way it will continue with y9u.

Old 05-22-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:

That's not at all what I said.

So, do you have any sort of measurable evidence to support your claim that atheists believe there are no consequences, or don't you?

Old 05-22-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
That's not at all what I said.

So, do you have any sort of measurable evidence to support your claim that atheists believe there are no consequences, or don't you?
Petunia, how can there be consequences in the afterlife if there is no afterlife?

Old 05-22-2017, 11:58 AM

Quote:
We have consequences because they follow naturally.

For example, if I jump in the air, I will shortly return to the ground. Gravity makes no exception for me based on my beliefs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality