Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 09:51 AM

4,466 posts, read 1,613,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Well....DUH! Anyone that has ever been on an internet message board or read an article on social media can confirm that.

Atheists are less open-minded than religious people, study claims | The Independent
Maybe that is true in regards to the study, since they are talking about "A study of 788 people in the UK, France and Spain". I am also immediately wary of articles that start off like this, "Religious people are more tolerant of different viewpoints than atheists, according to researchers at a Catholic university." Yea, they have a real reason to show the truth, huh?

Either way, it could be true in relation to the UK, France, and Spain, but it is certainly not true of the US.

When you dig past the initial article, you find things like this. Study finds the nonreligious can be more close-minded than the religious

“Firstly, we do not know whether the findings are typical only for the Western European (secularized) context in which the study was conducted, or it reflects more global tendencies.”

“With that in mind, and the fact that the effect sizes found in our study were quite small, a replication would be due to confirm the stability of the findings. Again highlighting the importance of replication, one possible limitation is that the study was done online, which naturally opens several questions (e.g. possible non-representativeness of the sample, impossibility to fully control the structure and the quality of the sample)."

I also find it funny that they see people being against contradictions as a bad thing. I mean, if you ask me, "Do you believe a man loves his wife if he beats her up twice a week?", then I would certainly see this as a contradiction, and say no. Why is this looked at as being dogmatic? Point being, the study seems skewed in more ways than one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 09:58 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,276,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meester-Chung View Post
so most of the separation of church and state crowd are anti-christians?
no. most are christians who refuse to accept christian sharia law...

Old 07-05-2017, 10:00 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,623,204 times
well, as usual, we miss the main ingredient. personality types express being more tolerant or less tolerant. Atheist groups and theists groups have these people.

the middle of the roader doesn't have to partake. We just have to make sure truth, justice, and liberty for all people is not stomped on by millamentalist think atheist or the fundamentalist think theists.

Old 07-05-2017, 10:12 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,670,106 times
Quote:
weird....since that's not something Christianity, the dominant religion in the US, is known for.
No, they aren't. I agree.
And, even back in the day...they favored just running them through with a sword or spear, or burning alive.
Easier cleanup? I'm not quite sure why.

Old 07-05-2017, 10:25 AM

17,164 posts, read 11,422,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
And, even back in the day...they favored just running them through with a sword or spear, or burning alive.
Well, that's easy. They were just taking it upon themselves to wield the sword of "truth" and the fires of "hell" as literal weapons against people who they felt threatened by.

Old 07-05-2017, 10:33 AM

1,333 posts, read 886,021 times
Worth noting, the author said the results were small enough that another test is due to confirm anything; but results were consistent enough to find interesting.

"With that in mind, and the fact that the effect sizes found in our study were quite small, a replication would be due to confirm the stability of the findings. ... However, despite these limitations, the study did offer relatively consistent results, and a good starting point for future research."

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Well, if you build your life around science and empiricism, you're going to be less open-minded to the opinions of people who base their lives and values on "belief" and "feeling" rather than evidence.

It's like when my mother called me "stupid" because I told her I was an atheist. I calmly listed out my reasoning and the evidence for what I had arrived at, while she just shrieked back hysterically "I know what I believe!" Hard to keep an "open mind" around behavior like that. The best part was when she told me she didn't need to read the bible because she knew what she believed.
Obviously your mothers reaction was far from ideal and I'm sorry you had to go through that. I wanna talk about your first sentence though. I do not consider myself less open minded to people who are religious.

I just consider myself realistic. Because I would say with confidence that no world wide great flood happened 4000 years ago does not mean that I am "closed minded" to the idea. If I didn't know any evidence one way or the other, I would be open minded about it. Now I do know the evidence and to believe that the great flood happened would be downright ridiculous.

Likewise if an atheist says something that's ridiculous, it's still ridiculous. To me, it doesn't matter whose mouth the nonsense is coming from.

Old 07-05-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Well, that's easy. They were just taking it upon themselves to wield the sword of "truth" and the fires of "hell" as literal weapons against people who they felt threatened by.
Ya know...that sounds about right.
I knew there was some reasonable explanation.

Old 07-05-2017, 11:29 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,065,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Can you show me a single verse in the Bible that commands Christians to kill anyone?

Just one. I'll be waiting.

Old 07-05-2017, 11:37 AM

17,848 posts, read 13,771,917 times
Quote:
Can you show me a single verse in the Bible that commands Christians to kill anyone?

So I guess all the times OT God "commanded" the Israelites to slaughter people don't count because Israelites weren't "Christians", huh?

As for your study, I'd be REAL interested if this group of researchers at this Catholic University would repeat the study with Catholics vs. Protestants.

Old 07-05-2017, 11:38 AM

Quote:

A command is irrelevant. They did it...in the name of the theological concept.
Though I do recall the guys that wrote the Bible noted people that should be killed for certain proscribed conduct. Adultery, disobedience to parents, etc.
I'm sure some can weigh in on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality