Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 11:45 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,030,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
So I guess all the times OT God "commanded" the Israelites to slaughter people don't count because Israelites weren't "Christians", huh?

As for your study, I'd be REAL interested if this group of researchers at this Catholic University would repeat the study with Catholics vs. Protestants.
if you're a Jew taking the Promised Land from the Philistines and various "ites", sure. But that would not be anyone alive today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 11:46 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,030,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
A command is irrelevant. They did it...in the name of the theological concept.
Though I do recall the guys that wrote the Bible noted people that should be killed for certain proscribed conduct. Adultery, disobedience to parents, etc.
I'm sure some can weigh in on it.
And they were wrong to do so. I hereby condemn them for doing it and declare that Christianity does not teach it.

Having said that, God DID command the ancient Jews to take possession of the promised land. He even used other, pagan nations to judge Israel at times.

Now....atheists have been rude, obnoxious jerks to me on occasion. Should I assume you, or anyone that is against religion, is the same? Or would that be wrong to lump people into groups?

Last edited by BaptistFundie; 07-05-2017 at 11:58 AM..

Old 07-05-2017, 12:26 PM

4,466 posts, read 1,607,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyl3r View Post
Worth noting, the author said the results were small enough that another test is due to confirm anything; but results were consistent enough to find interesting.

"With that in mind, and the fact that the effect sizes found in our study were quite small, a replication would be due to confirm the stability of the findings. ... However, despite these limitations, the study did offer relatively consistent results, and a good starting point for future research."
Yes, they did, but anyone who knows anything about studies or surveys knows how irrelevant 1 study is. Especially 1 study that had only 788 people involved. One that only looked at people in UK, France, and Spain, which are moderates when it come to its religious fundamentalists. The people who did this study even say as much. Plus, look at the "relatively consistent" in your quote above. What is "relatively consistent" when it comes to a study like this? Is "relatively consistent", in such a small sample size, good enough to make a judgment about atheists (or anyone else) in general?

Also, when a study is done by someone with something to gain by getting a certain outcome, such as a Catholic University doing this study, they tend to be skewed to get the answer they are wanting. Of course the same could be said if this study was done by atheists and the answer was reversed.

Again, it may be true when it comes to the very small and insignificant amount of people in those 3 places, but hardly means much in the grand scheme of things.

Old 07-05-2017, 12:49 PM

1,333 posts, read 884,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
Again, it may be true when it comes to the very small and insignificant amount of people in those 3 places, but hardly means much in the grand scheme of things.
We're on the same team. I'm saying the results don't indicate a whole lot. I'm not just casting out their research though.

Old 07-05-2017, 12:53 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,656,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
And they were wrong to do so. I hereby condemn them for doing it and declare that Christianity does not teach it.

Having said that, God DID command the ancient Jews to take possession of the promised land. He even used other, pagan nations to judge Israel at times.

Now....atheists have been rude, obnoxious jerks to me on occasion. Should I assume you, or anyone that is against religion, is the same? Or would that be wrong to lump people into groups?
I like "rude & crude"...so I am a bad one to ask.
I am not against Religions...or those that embrace and endorse them.

Old 07-05-2017, 01:12 PM

4,466 posts, read 1,607,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyl3r View Post
We're on the same team. I'm saying the results don't indicate a whole lot. I'm not just casting out their research though.
No, I wasn't saying I thought you were on the other side of the argument or anything. Just pointing out that, like you say above, the results don't mean a whole lot. Especially with such a small sample size and the fact that they use terms like "relatively consistent". I am not throwing out the whole of the research, just showing that there are several factors going against it, such as who did the study, the small sample size, the small area it was conducted in, the fact that it was an online study, etc. In other words, people should look at it with a grain of salt.

Again, the same should be said of a study done by an atheist group that tries to make Christians look bad, or whatever. That is one of the main issues with "studies" like this. They can be easily skewed to get a certain answer if the person (or people) doing the study want it that way.

Old 07-05-2017, 02:52 PM

10,089 posts, read 5,739,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Well....DUH! Anyone that has ever been on an internet message board or read an article on social media can confirm that.

Atheists are less open-minded than religious people, study claims | The Independent
This only confirms what I've said all along. It is pointless and a waste of time to respond to an atheist's request for evidence of our faith. They are so close minded and present an attitude that they can never be wrong about anything they say or post.

Old 07-05-2017, 02:54 PM

10,089 posts, read 5,739,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
No, I wasn't saying I thought you were on the other side of the argument or anything. Just pointing out that, like you say above, the results don't mean a whole lot. Especially with such a small sample size and the fact that they use terms like "relatively consistent". I am not throwing out the whole of the research, just showing that there are several factors going against it, such as who did the study, the small sample size, the small area it was conducted in, the fact that it was an online study, etc. In other words, people should look at it with a grain of salt.

Again, the same should be said of a study done by an atheist group that tries to make Christians look bad, or whatever. That is one of the main issues with "studies" like this. They can be easily skewed to get a certain answer if the person (or people) doing the study want it that way.
Need to make sure to frame and carve these words into stone the next time your side loves to throw up a Pew study or something similar when it is negative against Christians. Oh suddenly studies are quite valid and accepted without question then!

Old 07-05-2017, 03:24 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Well, if you build your life around science and empiricism, you're going to be less open-minded to the opinions of people who base their lives and values on "belief" and "feeling" rather than evidence.

It's like when my mother called me "stupid" because I told her I was an atheist. I calmly listed out my reasoning and the evidence for what I had arrived at, while she just shrieked back hysterically "I know what I believe!" Hard to keep an "open mind" around behavior like that. The best part was when she told me she didn't need to read the bible because she knew what she believed.
It would certainly look like that, but it really isn't that way - or oughtn't to be.

It's like this; We are open to ANY new ideas. It's what drives science. But first we ask "Where is the validation for this?" and if it is scripture, or divine guidance or "You are closed -minded if you don't take my word for it" that is just not good enough and we say:

"I'm sorry, I can't believe your claim on that inadequate basis. I reserve belief until you come up with better support".

That is what is represented as closed minded and fundamentalist thinking and it is a total misunderstanding, brought about because those making the claims take Faith to be the reason to believe and assume we do too, even if we swear and even explain how we do not.

Old 07-05-2017, 04:17 PM

18,499 posts, read 9,170,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
This only confirms what I've said all along. It is pointless and a waste of time to respond to an atheist's request for evidence of our faith. They are so close minded and present an attitude that they can never be wrong about anything they say or post.
And yet you are not a Muslim, despite all of the amazing evidence for the Muslim faith. Take the beam out of your own eye.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality