Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2017, 07:47 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,696,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Well said, pneuma. Extreme fundamentalism and extreme atheism are equally dangerous, IMO.

I knew what you meant.
Does that mean I really, Really, REALLY, REALLY have no belief in any Gods?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2017, 07:57 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,696,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
Not that I know of. extreme fundamentalism, whether religious or atheist is basically those who state everyone better believe as we do or else.
How does one advocate that everyone believe in his/her non-belief?

Old 07-20-2017, 09:06 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,865,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2xx View Post
Actually jealously is an sign of love. If a partner commits adultery, the other partner would only be jealous if he/she loved there other person.

One thing that causes jealously is suspicion. When the Bible says "love is not jealous," it is indicating complete trust in the partner.
Complete and utter bull-hockey to dismiss an obvious contradiction. It's plain enough. Answer what it says rather than what you want it to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2xx View Post
There is another way. Jesus done person to do that, not every Christian.
More tripe to excuse not doing what your man-god said you should do. As Trans pointed out, there are more than enough other verses telling you not to worry about your money and possessions - and if if Jesus only meant for the one particular rich man that he was addressing, how would that one man's wealth alleviate the suffering of the poor. Clearly, the instruction applies to ALL Christians. When it comes to your wallet, you clearly don't trust your man-god do you?

I don't see you arguing that, when the bible says that we shouldn't lie with a man as we do with a woman, that only applies to the Hebrews of the OT. Oh no! THAT applies to everyone right; but giving your money only away applies to the person being addressed in that particular verse!!

Quote:
If I gave all of my money away, I would not be able to help others. Also others would have to help me.
26 Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? 27 Which of you by worrying can add one cubit to his stature?
28 “So why do you worry about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin; 29 and yet I say to you that even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. 30 Now if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is, and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will He not much more clothe you, O you of little faith?
31 “Therefore do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For after all these things the Gentiles seek. For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. 33 But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.

Matthew 6:26-34

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
... the gospel message is

"Don't worry about where you next meal is coming from - God will provide. Don't hang on to your money: guarantee your place in heaven by giving it all away and following Jesus."
Exactly my dear old horse. Their excuses for not doing so never cease to amaze!

Last edited by Rafius; 07-20-2017 at 09:14 AM..

Old 07-20-2017, 10:12 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Quote:
I don't think you can lump all religion together like that trans. Religious influence is not a bad thing, religious influence that takes things to the extremes like the one you pointed out above do need to be targeted and pointed out their error. But that goes both ways, the extreme atheists that want to destroy ALL religion and ALL costs also needs to be targeted; as both are stating the same thing, either believe like we do or else. It is nothing more then a hate based mentality towards those who do not agree with them.

What I would like to see is an even playing field as it were. If people are going to speak out against extremes then should not those same people speaks out against the extremes in there own field as it were?

I have often taken to task those who hold an extreme religion but have yet to see an atheist do that to one of their own. It is as if they are scared to get kick out of the club or something.

Glad to here that Trans. Believe it or not I also value the scientific method atheist use and see no reason they cannot co exist in peaceful fashion.

What about the harmful effects of militant atheism? In my post to AJ I gave a couple of examples from Dawkens book.

I agree that religion has caused a lot of hurt to people and it should be more humanist in it approach, but again that goes both ways, the atheist must also tow that same line.

I agree we are all agnostic in the sense that there are some things we just do not know.

Ya me too.

I can easily say the same trans.
Not all religion is harmful, but that any kind of religious influence on society can have harmful effects, without being eitehr ncult or fundamentalist. The control, the hi-jacking of family, the divisivemness, the skewing of politics and education.

That's when it doesn't gain control and start to discriminate.

By agnostic of course I am talking of the god -claim. Strictly speaking we are all agnostics about alien life in distant galaxies, but that's not relevant to the discussion.

I won't waste time defending the atheist record, but just say that the warnings are well taken. Goldenrule humanism is the way to go, not exterminate the religious for their own good dogma. That doesn't work, even if it wasn't just the wrong thing to do.

Humanism for everyone's benefit - apart from those who want the privilege and control. If any atheists don't see the menefits of that, they are Extremist atheists indeed. I have yet to mee one.

P.s I was in two minds to link yet again the Tracie harris talk on religious family values. But, if I can post "If God was a used car" and '"Double Standards" I can post this required reading piece again. It is the absolute balloon -buster of the claim that religion is good for society.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8As0Pdt1Ds

And just think yourselves lucky I didn't post Qualiasoup on open -mindedness again.

And still notn a scrap, smidgeon or jot of validation of Gospel -Jesus.

Old 07-20-2017, 11:47 AM

11,123 posts, read 6,391,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
How does one advocate that everyone believe in his/her non-belief?
We must destroy all religion at all cost is not advocating anything, it is demanding that everyone conform or be destroyed.

I have seen atheist tell the extreme fundamental christian that if they were allowed to they would go about killing those who do not agree with them.

The exact same thing can be said of the extreme atheist.

Old 07-20-2017, 12:01 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,607,249 times
Bull hockey ^^^^

Old 07-20-2017, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Not all religion is harmful, but that any kind of religious influence on society can have harmful effects, without being eitehr ncult or fundamentalist. The control, the hi-jacking of family, the divisivemness, the skewing of politics and education.

That's when it doesn't gain control and start to discriminate.

By agnostic of course I am talking of the god -claim. Strictly speaking we are all agnostics about alien life in distant galaxies, but that's not relevant to the discussion.

I won't waste time defending the atheist record, but just say that the warnings are well taken. Goldenrule humanism is the way to go, not exterminate the religious for their own good dogma. That doesn't work, even if it wasn't just the wrong thing to do.

Humanism for everyone's benefit - apart from those who want the privilege and control. If any atheists don't see the menefits of that, they are Extremist atheists indeed. I have yet to mee one.

P.s I was in two minds to link yet again the Tracie harris talk on religious family values. But, if I can post "If God was a used car" and '"Double Standards" I can post this required reading piece again. It is the absolute balloon -buster of the claim that religion is good for society.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8As0Pdt1Ds

And just think yourselves lucky I didn't post Qualiasoup on open -mindedness again.

And still notn a scrap, smidgeon or jot of validation of Gospel -Jesus.
Trans your still talking about extreme fundamentalism religion. True religion is helping ones fellow man/woman the bible even states as much. So do you really think helping your fellow man is harmful in anyway to humanity?

Any belief that is taken to extreme is harmful to humanity.

The Dawkens mentality is just as harmful to humanity as the religion you talk about. I gave you 2 point showing this which you have not addressed.

Here is the problem as I see it.

Those who hold to the extreme can't seem to see that they hold an extreme view.

You ask any christian fundamentalist if they think what they believe is extreme and you know what their answer will be, the same goes for the atheist.

And yes you do know one.

Old 07-20-2017, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
Bull hockey ^^^^

You ask any christian fundamentalist if they think what they believe is extreme and you know what their answer will be, the same goes for the atheist.

Old 07-20-2017, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
Bull hockey ^^^^
As a competitive sport, that would be quite amazing.

Quote:
We must destroy all religion at all cost is not advocating anything, it is demanding that everyone conform or be destroyed.

I have seen atheist tell the extreme fundamental christian that if they were allowed to they would go about killing those who do not agree with them.

The exact same thing can be said of the extreme atheist.
It can be said of them, but by whom? The atheist or those intending to make them look bad?

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 07-20-2017 at 01:19 PM..

Old 07-20-2017, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Trans your still talking about extreme fundamentalism religion. True religion is helping ones fellow man/woman the bible even states as much. So do you really think helping your fellow man is harmful in anyway to humanity?

Any belief that is taken to extreme is harmful to humanity.

The Dawkens mentality is just as harmful to humanity as the religion you talk about. I gave you 2 point showing this which you have not addressed.

Tracie's vid answers that one. These are not fringe groups; these are large ones: the baptist the evangelicals. They are causing serious social problems. This is even when they are held in check by the law. If they had their own way, the law would be changed to suit them and not only atheists but anyone who did not toe the line would be in for a bad time.

Atheism on the other handadvocates a level playing field for all and everyone able to believe what they like.

Only when they go public, should they be called on to back their claims up, and no playing of the 'Respect' card.

Extremist accusations aside, there is a bottom line here: whose case is best validated. The religious case has lost ground and i losing more all the time. The case for Gospel Jesus is still not being made here, just critiqueing atheism through the backdoor and on rather shaky grounds of 'extremism'

What examples of extremism are there in the 'New' atheism? They are few and arguable.

Elevatorgate
lower food costs if you pray.
a muslim couple shot by an atheist.

None of those have anything to do with atheist extremism, much less the validity of the rationale, and even less does any of that make a case for the gospel Jesus.

Quote:
And yes you do know one.
I was wondering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality