Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2017, 07:50 AM

10,531 posts, read 6,167,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Hi, Sorry I wanted to look that up....this is what I got, so a correction:
How long ago did dinosaurs live?

Dinosaurs lived between 230 and 65 million years ago, in a time known as the Mesozoic Era.
It was way MORE!! Wow, I had no idea!
You are absolutely right Miss Hepburn, well spotted. Dinosaurs ruled the earth for 165 million years, not 65 million; my mistake. Surprised nobody else noticed that. Anyway they were here for a bloody long time. If anything, humans are the mistake. Dinosaurs adapted within their ecosystem and lived in harmony with the planet. All we have done as far as I can see is ruin the planet in our very short, blink-of-an-eye-by-comparison time here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 11:35 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
You are absolutely right Miss Hepburn, well spotted. Dinosaurs ruled the earth for 165 million years, not 65 million; my mistake. Surprised nobody else noticed that. Anyway they were here for a bloody long time. If anything, humans are the mistake. Dinosaurs adapted within their ecosystem and lived in harmony with the planet. All we have done as far as I can see is ruin the planet in our very short, blink-of-an-eye-by-comparison time here.

Well spotted, Miss H. Yes - 230 mya lasted until 65 Million years ago would have been more like it.

Mezozoic was rather the age of giant reptiles, early dinosaurs being as related to them as mammals were.
Yes, in fact Mammals appeared about the same time as early dinosaurs, but only got their chance to fill the niche left by the Dinosaurs 65 mya at the end of the Cretaceous, where in fact the creatures had become specialized that they had perhaps become unadaptable. As I recall the Hadrosaurs survived even the extinction because they were so successfully adapted, they didn't need to over -evolve and in fact lasted into the age of mammals.

Old 08-30-2017, 12:42 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,694,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
Are you seriously saying no one can remember anything before age 5 or 6?

What about kids who read by age 4? By picking it up on their own. Without ever being taught.

It sounds like you are really uncomfortable with certain things you don't understand. Even something as benign as someone saying what happened in their house growing up.
I said I was skeptical. Per studies, only a small percentage of adults have memories between the ages of 2 and 5. Prior to 2, I suspect people are only remembering what others told them happened and have developed pseudo-memories.

Old 08-30-2017, 01:58 PM

11,021 posts, read 5,989,338 times
I have memories from after 2. Definitely not before 2.

I am skeptical if the knowledge if God memories too. My reason is that I don't believe Gid exists in the first place.

Old 08-30-2017, 02:51 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
I saw, it just didn't change your point.

65 million years to man is fast tho ... real fast.

Old 08-31-2017, 07:34 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,861,012 times
Quote:
"Hyperlexia is a syndrome characterized by a child's precocious ability to read. It was initially identified by Norman E. Silberberg and Margaret C. Silberberg (1967), who defined it as the precocious ability to read words without prior training in learning to read, typically before the age of 5. They indicated that children with hyperlexia have a significantly higher word-decoding ability than their reading comprehension levels.Children with hyperlexia also present with an intense fascination for written material at a very early age."

What I am noting and pointing out in this thread is how people with views like Rafius simply put their fingers in their ears and go la la la la with information they are uncomfortable with. That is a window to their bias and reveals a marked inability to intake and process information coherently and cogently.
Not at all. I simply ask for verifiable evidence for children reading without any outside influence. You have now supplied an article regarding Hyperlexia which I find acceptable although, on further research about Hyperlexia, yours is the only article I came upon that actually said.... "without prior training in learning to read". See the difference between us? Give me verifiable evidence for a claim and I'll accept it. What a far cry from you god-zombies who will not change no matter what verifiable evidence is shoved in your face.
Quote:
Yes "unhinged" is an apt adjective for the knee jerk bias put forth by rafius.
Me unhinged?? Let's not lose sight of the fact that YOU are the one that thinks ancient mythology is true and that angels are real.

Old 08-31-2017, 10:24 PM

22,183 posts, read 19,227,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
...What a far cry from you god-zombies who will not change no matter what verifiable evidence is shoved in your face. ...
phrases like this indicate "look elsewhere for intelligent conversation"

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 08-31-2017 at 10:36 PM..

Old 08-31-2017, 10:31 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,861,012 times
Quote:
phrases like this indicate "look elsewhere for intelligent conversation"
You said that before...but you still came back. This time, do me the favour of sticking to it. I would hate to contaminate your air of intellectual superiority.

Last edited by Rafius; 08-31-2017 at 11:13 PM..

Old 09-02-2017, 01:58 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,414,988 times
A Henny Youngman joke (he was a comedian known as "The King of the One-Liners):
"I used to be an atheist. I gave it up. They have no holidays."

Old 09-02-2017, 02:12 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
I personally can not imagine my ex, a militant, angry atheist..(just as bad as
a militant angry vegetarian, btw...) ever believing in a some
sort of mystical, supernatural, Higher Omnipresent Consciousness unless I dropped LSD in his Jack and Coke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality