Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2017, 09:42 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,597,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeaniee View Post
Well this sounds more like you are viewing it as a religion. Lighten up will ya
I could care less what people call Jesus. A long haired hippy, little fat guy or whatever. I don't take it personal. I may post a verse to
oppose it but no worries

My husband is not a Saint. FTR, A Sinner turns into a Saint at Salvation. He is a great guy though. By the way, he goes to church more often than I do. Even when I miss, he attends. So not everyone is offended by Christianity and/or scripture verses.

Just like not everyone here will be offended when you post Buddhist verses. Even if you perceive such.

You are aware, are you not, that the Buddha (Siddhartha Gautama) was a real person, whereas the historicity of Jesus as a real person is seriously questioned by many scholars, including Christian ones. Jesus is often viewed as a composition of numerous Middle East mythologies, a real itinerant sage, an invented figure much like Zeus or Horus, or a combination of these.

You, and millions of others, BELIEVE that Jesus was real, but that is certainly a factual question. Very few actual scholars accept the divinity of the persona.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2017, 09:47 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
You are aware, are you not, that the Buddha (Siddhartha Gautama) was a real person, whereas the historicity of Jesus as a real person is seriously questioned by many scholars, including Christian ones. Jesus is often viewed as a composition of numerous Middle East mythologies, a real itinerant sage, an invented figure much like Zeus or Horus, or a combination of these.

You, and millions of others, BELIEVE that Jesus was real, but that is certainly a factual question. Very few actual scholars accept the divinity of the persona.
weather he is real or not isn't the problem. Its safe to assume he did. But, That part doesn't matter. well, unless you are a fundy/milli mental, then it matters. the problem is people saying he died, woke up, and flew away.

Buddha, was a little to self centered for me, but I get what he was trying do. literal religion is bad and based on the information he didn't have, he tried the opposite. he went to far, but I think he, and jesus, would be singing different tunes today.

Old 10-15-2017, 10:01 AM

50,840 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
To be fair, you, as well as others, have shown no interest in actually responding to the OP.
Well, TO BE FAIR, you've been asked repeatedly to clarify which religion or religions you were referring to in the original post, and you have steadfastly REFUSED to do so. That's why we have been UNABLE to "actually respond" to the OP.

Old 10-15-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:

Well...sort of. Most historians seem to accept that Buddha did exist but that there are lots of questions about the facts surrounding his life. And there are many, including Buddhists (like me) who question that the words in the Buddhist scriptures are actually Buddha's words. But the key to Buddhism is that Buddha did not ask us to accept any of his principles based on his supposedly saying them. Instead he clearly instructed his followers to test the various pieces of advice, and if they are sound when you test them, incorporate them into your life; if they are not sound when you test them, discard them. They is no you must believe this in Buddhism.

Old 10-15-2017, 10:35 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,597,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Well...sort of. Most historians seem to accept that Buddha did exist but that there are lots of questions about the facts surrounding his life. And there are many, including Buddhists (like me) who question that the words in the Buddhist scriptures are actually Buddha's words. But the key to Buddhism is that Buddha did not ask us to accept any of his principles based on his supposedly saying them. Instead he clearly instructed his followers to test the various pieces of advice, and if they are sound when you test them, incorporate them into your life; if they are not sound when you test them, discard them. They is no you must believe this in Buddhism.
Agreed, Buddhism is generally a philosophy, whose precepts can be applied by anyone. The trouble with the Abrahamic religions in particular is that they are prescriptive, and if applied literally, which many do, are frankly inhumane and dangerous to mankind. Fortunately, the vast majority of Jews, most Christians, and not enough Muslims view their faiths as guidelines, as metaphorical and allegorical, and take the good teachings that apply to human kind, and avoid the bad.

One can only hope that those of faith see that humanism is of higher value than mythology. It will take some time before that is prevalent in some circles.

Old 10-15-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Agreed, Buddhism is generally a philosophy, whose precepts can be applied by anyone. The trouble with the Abrahamic religions in particular is that they are prescriptive, and if applied literally, which many do, are frankly inhumane and dangerous to mankind. Fortunately, the vast majority of Jews, most Christians, and not enough Muslims view their faiths as guidelines, as metaphorical and allegorical, and take the good teachings that apply to human kind, and avoid the bad.

One can only hope that those of faith see that humanism is of higher value than mythology. It will take some time before that is prevalent in some circles.
Best post of the thread.

And it reminds me of the oft restated quotation supposedly by Ghandi: "I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."

Old 10-15-2017, 11:56 AM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Best post of the thread.

And it reminds me of the oft restated quotation supposedly by Ghandi: "I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."
Today at my church the priest quoted her late mother-in-law, who said, "The worst type of Christian is a regular, churchgoing, Good Christian."

Old 10-15-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Today at my church the priest quoted her late mother-in-law, who said, "The worst type of Christian is a regular, churchgoing, Good Christian."
Interesting.

How did you interpret that?

Old 10-15-2017, 02:35 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,043,151 times
Quote:
Of course there is. He's all over the Tanakh.
Where?...

Old 10-15-2017, 02:37 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,043,151 times
Quote:
And yes--my "Old Testament" contains the 24 books in the Tanakh.
You said that there were 39...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality