Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 03:14 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,986,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
This is a thread to better understand each other's faith, and also to learn from each other and find common ground.

I would like all believers to participate and tell us the guidance provided by your faith that leads to morally good actions. Our Atheists friends are also welcome to participate and tell us if there any common morals.

Please know that this is NOT a hosing down contest.

I will start with mine with the a few points. Islam.
I once knew a Muslim on another forum. Here is something he posted:

I know what my purpose on earth is and I know what I'm allowed to do and what I'm prohibited from doing. I have a solid moral system, where I don't make up my own system of what’s right and wrong but I have it from the creator. I have a sense of cleanliness and modesty. I know my obligations to those less fortunate than me in both knowledge and wealth. I know what happens to my soul after it leaves my body and the questions it'll be asked, I also know the torments of the disbeliever and the temporary punishment for the sinning believer. I know what awaits the believers in paradise. In short there isn't an aspect in my life that isn't governed by religion.

I could have accurately said that, almost verbatim. About the only change I would make would be to use the word "influenced" as opposed to "governed" in the last sentence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 03:20 PM

20,024 posts, read 13,501,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I could have accurately said that, almost verbatim. About the only change I would make would be to use the word "influenced" as opposed to "governed" in the last sentence.
While I agree with influence rather than governance, this is a key indicator of whether or not one takes an authoritarian approach to one's religious beliefs.

An authoritarian would say obedience isn't optional and you don't get to decide what's right and wrong or what "influences" you. Ironically, however, they also cherry pick within certain constraints. They allow women to speak in church and not cover their heads, for example, despite unambiguous commands in the NT for those things.

At the end of the day it seems to me that any ideology should "influence" and "inspire" via defensible, substantiated truth claims. If the basis is sound, there will be no problem with compliance, it will happen organically.

Old 10-25-2017, 05:15 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,594,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
This is a thread to better understand each other's faith, and also to learn from each other and find common ground.

I would like all believers to participate and tell us the guidance provided by your faith that leads to morally good actions. Our Atheists friends are also welcome to participate and tell us if there any common morals.

Please know that this is NOT a hosing down contest.

I will start with mine with the a few points. Islam.
These are not in any particular order except for #1, which is always #1 in my faith.

1 - The strict belief in monotheism. There is ONLY ONE God so worship him alone.
2 - Do justice among people and do not do injustice to anyone. Be forgiving, be generous and be tolerant.
3 - Take care of your parents just as they took care of you when you were a baby.
4 - Give rights to women, children, and anyone who deserves it.
5 - Strictly forbidden to take the life of an innocent person.
6 - Avoid foul mouthing.
7 - Always be kind to orphan kids. And never forfeit their rights.
8 - Help the poor and needy whichever way you can.
9 - Avoid back biting and gossip.
10 - Save resources and don't waste.
11 - Don't insult anyone else God who they believe through their faith.
12 - Avoid cheating, lying, deceiving and scheming against others.
13 - Earn an honest living.
14 - Avoid Gambling, alcohol (recreational drugs etc) and pork meat.
15 - Live a life by staying in the middle path and avoid going into extremes in any direction.
16 - Avoid Hypocrisy
17 - Always be hopeful and never lose hope.
18 - You may think you could get away with a wrong doing against someone in this life, but there will be justice served to you on the doomsday. So make wise choices. There will be an accountability of your actions where there will be no where to run and nowhere to hide.
19 - If you commit a sin or make a mistake against God, then repent and do an equally good or a better good deed, and hope for the best.
If the sin/mistake was done against another person then you must ask forgiveness from the person and/or make it up for them to fix it.
20 - Absolutely avoid arrogance. Be meek and docile. Learn and apply knowledge (scientific, arts, social etc) that benefits humanity.

Now these only a few.
Whether a person claiming to be a Muslim lives by them or not is up to them?
Islam looks at how honestly have you tried within in your own means.
The Periodic Table and "mutual Omaha's wild kingdom" did it for me. the universe own handwriting right there.

The stuff you listed is good stuff for any society. Its good self help no matter what you believe.

Old 10-25-2017, 07:05 PM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
The basic principle is a vested concern for the well-being of everyone in any situation. The difficulty, of course, is balancing needs involved.

Old 10-25-2017, 07:06 PM

678 posts, read 429,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I really admire this.
Thanks. The thing I admire most are not the UU principles but the people in my congregation. They're the most genuine, accepting, loving, caring group of people I have ever been around. It inspires me to be more like that.

I also appreciate the diversity of beliefs and sermons as I feel that makes things much more interesting, thought provoking and better environment to learn and grow.

Old 10-25-2017, 07:15 PM

50,860 posts, read 24,371,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo10 View Post
Thanks. The thing I admire most are not the UU principles but the people in my congregation. They're the most genuine, accepting, loving, caring group of people I have ever been around. It inspires me to be more like that.

I also appreciate the diversity of beliefs and sermons as I feel that makes things much more interesting, thought provoking and better environment to learn and grow.
I understand what you mean.

In the 8 years since I have returned from living in Thailand, I have gone to 4 "churches". The Buddhist temple, of course, where I have literally been welcomed with open arms. A Catholic Church that feels "cold" to me; not friendly, not unfriendly, non-involved with people they don't already know. A very warm, welcoming, and not-pushy Methodist church. And a very welcoming and non-pushy Congregational church. Of course, Colorado Springs also has a few of the nutty evangelical churches, a few of which are quite famous and have been involved in scandals.

Old 10-25-2017, 07:50 PM

88,618 posts, read 84,875,076 times
We are only but part of a larger whole. Let yourself feel that connection, and treat others as if you would be treated, accept them as you would be accepted, as we are. This is the meaning of Love. This extends beyond human limits, but also to our universe and the other creatures with whom we share this time and place.

Old 10-27-2017, 07:19 AM

2,074 posts, read 2,164,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Here are mine...

1. Remember that you have a Father in Heaven who knows you personally and loves you deeply. You are no more or less loved by Him than anybody else.
2. Treat all human beings as you would treat your own brothers and sisters, since they are also God's children -- regardless of their religious beliefs.
3. Know that your best efforts count with God. You don't have to be perfect, but you do have to make an effort to live according to the dictates of your own conscience.
4. Know that anything that is important enough for you to go God in prayer about, is also important to Him. Nothing is too trivial for His attention.
5. Be grateful always for the patience He shows you, because you mess up A LOT, and He is willing to let you start over as often as you need to!
6. Every single, solitary good thing you have in your life is a gift from God.
Those are mine, too. Plus I'll add:

God first and then everything else.

Knowing I have free will to do as I wish, but seeking and depending on God for His Love, guidance and comfort when needed.

Taking personal responsibility for my actions.

Receiving in my soul God's Divine Love, which makes me more loving, happy, peaceful, compassionate, forgiving, and helps me keep a positive attitude.

Old 10-27-2017, 10:47 AM

678 posts, read 429,852 times
I was hoping more would respond to this thread. Especially my question about how morals are driven by people who influence us and not specifically religion. For example, Westboro Baptist Church believers feel morally justified protesting at soldier funerals where most other Christians I would think are disgusted by it. Same religion, different influencers

Old 10-27-2017, 12:34 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,750,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo10 View Post
I was hoping more would respond to this thread. Especially my question about how morals are driven by people who influence us and not specifically religion. For example, Westboro Baptist Church believers feel morally justified protesting at soldier funerals where most other Christians I would think are disgusted by it. Same religion, different influencers
Social - influenced morals is more relevant in a discussion about religion vs. Humanism. Whether they realize it or not, religious people generally live according to human moral laws, and just add a few extra ones their religion fastens to it like ticks or leeches to gain the same sort of authority.

P.s I kept thinking of the Jeffersonian idea that Jesus may not have been divine, but was a great moral teacher, and my own view that the Jesus of the Gospels (who I believe reflects the views of early Greek Christians rather than those of the historical Jesus) is NOT an admirable figure, a sound moralist or a source of Good Idea. In my view he is just as much a load as the rest of the Bible.

Which is why I decided to post this vid. The sermon on the Mount is perhaps regarded as the epitome of Jesus' morality. The Encapsulation of everything that makes Jesus the dude to take as a guide and mentor, divine or not. Even artheists may be fooled into thinking "Yeah, that's all good stuff, worth following, even for non -Christians."

I beg to differ. Some of it is arguable, some ludicrous. I haven't done a study myself (1) but I know a man who has. The trough is filled. Drink or not is up to you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2V5ZWVUpn8

(1) my concern with it has been identifying as a part of Q document and also used by Luke, but unknown to either Mark or John.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 10-27-2017 at 12:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality