Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 10:19 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,349,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
Part of the atheist doctrine is that there are no consequences. So an atheist will be prone to do whatever makes them feel good even at the cost of others.
There is no such thing as "atheist doctrine" -- it doesn't exist. This is because the definition of "atheism" is simply the "absence of belief in deities." It's not a belief, it's not a faith, it's not an emotion, and it's not a position -- it's merely an impartial classification.
Official atheist doctrine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2017, 10:35 PM

11,021 posts, read 5,987,049 times
Quote:
I get it. Atheism is great. It's the religion for people that can't control themselves.

I would love to be an atheist. You can do whatever the hell you want as long as you don't get caught.

I could have figured out a way to scam some unsuspecting people and make a lot of money in the process.

But yet...I am not an atheist.

I envy you though. Hopefully, you are not one of them fake atheists though. Because a real atheist will get ya and make ya put your hand in their pocket.
Atheism is a religion? Ok - which god do they believe in? Is their god also a one true god?

You say atheists can do what they want? I do what I want - does that make me an atheist too? One of the things I want to do is post on CD in the R&S subforum. I also want to mow the lawn and go fishing and hunting and so on. And I want to make things in my garage. Also, I want to go to work to make an honest living.

You say you want to scam unsuspecting people? That's a bad thing to want to do, don't you think? Is that part of your religious doctrine? To scam people?

Old 11-29-2017, 11:32 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,368,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Perhaps, they just want you to take some responsibility for your own thoughts, deeds and actions?
Pfft, that's a laugh. 2/3 of an average Christian's life is spent trying to measure up to an OT moral standard, discovering one can't and that Christianity is about forgiving yourself and being forgiven as much as it is a part of forgiving others.

Let's talk about two musicians. Bob Dylan and John Lennon.

Lennon grew up near Liverpool, was universally held up by leftists as a symbol of how thge hippie movement is all peace and love. Too bad he's a monstrous hypocrite. "All you need is love" yet he beat both of his wives and had several other abusive relationships. "Imagine no religion... nothing to kill or die for" yet her not only funded violent groups like the black panthers, but he bought into basically any trendy form of religion imaginable, particularly feel-good crap like hari-krishna (spelling?) Then there is his statement about how he was "bigger than Jesus" which lost him fans literally having people burn Beatles stuff. Did he apologize? Did he take responsibility for his own thoughts and actions? Not a chance. They stopped touring, which hurt the band.

Bob Dylan started becoming a Christian in the middle of his career, and changed the focus of his songs in response. Cynical people think this was a publicity stunt, but hearing some lyrics where he literally alienates his former fans by talking against them, yeah... no. The story goes that during one of his concerts, he was feeling awful, so one of his fans tossed him a cross which he picked up. Then before a later concert, he took a look at when he was feeling down and had a spiritual experience, started Slow Train Coming and about three or so albums, joined a couple religious musician subgroups. He saw his fans falling away. To some extent, he scoffed at them but he did take responsibility, and his later songs while never again secular, were no longer heavy-handed evangelical.

I hear excuses like this all the time. They are precisely a contradiction of themselves, because the person giving them never takes consequences for the real reason, they make up this excuse. I have met legit ppl with issues with the church. And I've met people who are like "it's just more logoical", when in fact, I am an extremely logical person and my logic led me to Christ. Or any number of excuses, none of which take responsibility, while holding others accountable for what is sometimes a private faith. Lemme ask you something. When a gay couple goes from Massachusetts to Colorado to bother a Christian baker, was this taking responsibility for thoughts and feelings, or was it being obnoxiously aggressive about their beliefs. I've no memory of any Christian heading from Texas to Vermont to likewise accost a gay baker to get him to make an LGBT-exclusionary cake.

There is a legit reason, and I suspect it's less to do with atheism (tho a factor) and more of personal grudge. They hate Jesus because of what the church represents, blowing perceived faults out of proportion. But the faults are not as important as their secret reason. For behind all of stuff about mean Christians, what they really hate most is that they are still forgiven. Self-hate is the motivator for all kinds of things, including the Holocaust.Seen this all the time. Sweet guy loves girl. Girl leaves him for being too nice, and pursues someone who is literally abusive. Human nature, folks.

Old 11-30-2017, 01:09 AM

3,564 posts, read 1,922,565 times
Quote:
I get it. Atheism is great. It's the religion for people that can't control themselves.
Well, it's not a religion
And, what's your evidence for it being for people who can't control themselves?
I'm an atheist. How am I not able to control myself?
Is it your sincere belief that all atheists are out killing, raping, and scamming people since there's no threat of divine retribution?

Quote:
I would love to be an atheist. You can do whatever the hell you want as long as you don't get caught.

I could have figured out a way to scam some unsuspecting people and make a lot of money in the process.
This says something about your mind, but absolutely nothing about the mind of any atheist.

Old 11-30-2017, 04:01 AM

7,591 posts, read 4,161,936 times
Quote:

But yet...I am not an atheist.

I envy you though. Hopefully, you are not one of them fake atheists though. Because a real atheist will get ya and make ya put your hand in their pocket.
I am sure there is something in the holy book to help you with the envy. You don't want to leave that unchecked before coming to the gates of heaven.

Old 11-30-2017, 04:24 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
To be fair, many atheists like Jesus Christ and his ideas on a philosophical basis, but just don't think he was divine. So they are not really "discrediting him" as much as they are calling into question the mythos and miracles around him.
bingo

the only ones that have to prove a literal jesus didnt exist are the literalist. at this point, most historians understand that finding him isn't the problem.
The affects are here. literal atheists fighting literal theist is the problem. the rest of us are fine with reasonable belief based on how the universe works. and for the everyday person, how people work.

I think more people need to describe "how people work", then the things we do make perfect sense. perfectly nonsensical sense.

Old 11-30-2017, 05:07 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,303,872 times
Atheist Doctrine sounds like an ironic oxymoron. (Or a really bad name for a rock band.)

I guess atheists could never be accused of "indoctrinating" anyone to their own dark side, could they.

Last edited by Corvette Ministries; 11-30-2017 at 05:49 AM..

Old 11-30-2017, 06:12 AM

2,186 posts, read 1,171,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
Atheist Doctrine sounds like an ironic oxymoron. (Or a really bad name for a rock band.)

I guess atheists could never be accused of "indoctrinating" anyone to their own dark side, could they.
Are atheists promoting Christianity?

Old 11-30-2017, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
Indoctrinate

1. to instruct in a doctrine, principle, ideology, etc., especially to imbue with a specific partisan or biased belief or point of view.
2. to teach or inculcate.
3. to imbue with learning.

Old 11-30-2017, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
Some do, peripherally. Many atheists know scripture better than many Christians.

"Doesn't your Holy Book tell you ..."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality