Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2018, 04:51 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,038,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Wait a sec. Are we talking about the gospels? because the gospels start with "Once upon a time there was a savior named Jesus" and end with "And Jesus ascended into heaven and the 12 apostles lived happily ever after."
Thirteen...There were thirteen Apostles...Get it right...Shees...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2018, 09:30 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,924,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Thirteen...There were thirteen Apostles...Get it right...Shees...
First there were 12, then there were 11, then there were 12. Paul wasn't a real apostle. He just called himself one. So "And Jesus ascended into heaven and the 12 apostles lived happily ever after."

Old 07-25-2018, 09:53 PM

11,021 posts, read 5,989,338 times
Quote:
First there were 12, then there were 11, then there were 12. Paul wasn't a real apostle. He just called himself one. So "And Jesus ascended into heaven and the 12 apostles lived happily ever after."
That's because one of them didn't live happily ever after.

Old 07-25-2018, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
That's because one of them didn't live happily ever after.
Well, if you're gonna believe the church's version they ALL died pretty miserable, right? But, hey! They died for Jesus so that's gotta count for something. But this is a happy fairy tale, not a sad one So.....Jesus ascended to heaven and all 12 apostles lived happily ever after.

Old 07-27-2018, 11:53 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,350,168 times
The obvious solution to the story of the empty tomb, is that someone living moved the body. And if Christians are unable to refute this obvious solution, then the rest of Christian assertions are meaningless.

Old 07-27-2018, 12:27 PM

50,823 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
The obvious solution to the story of the empty tomb, is that someone living moved the body. And if Christians are unable to refute this obvious solution, then the rest of Christian assertions are meaningless.
My hometown is Palmyra, NY -- the birthplace of Mormonism. However, neither I nor my family was ever Mormon.

But it amazes me how many times I've heard christians denigrate the Mormon faith because of the "ridiculous" claims of Mormons regarding the Sacred Grove where Jesus appeared to Joe Smith, and even more so the "ludicrous lie" about Joe Smith begin given Golden Plates by the Angel Moroni, taken from a cave in a drumlin.

Well, I know the drumlin cave is a lie, because my training geology means I know that a drumlin is nothing more than sand, silt, and gravel, and while part of a drumlin might wash away, a cave treasure room just won't work.

And, I've had a former secretary, who was a devout born again christian, demand that the Mormons show the Golden Plates "if it's true".

Meanwhile, christians bristle if we demand they show us the Ten Commandments, which were supposedly written on stone tablets, the tomb, or any other thing claimed by them.

And that is what, to me, makes the (as you put it) "rest of christian assertion [as] meaningless".

Old 07-29-2018, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
My hometown is Palmyra, NY -- the birthplace of Mormonism. However, neither I nor my family was ever Mormon.

But it amazes me how many times I've heard christians denigrate the Mormon faith because of the "ridiculous" claims of Mormons regarding the Sacred Grove where Jesus appeared to Joe Smith, and even more so the "ludicrous lie" about Joe Smith begin given Golden Plates by the Angel Moroni, taken from a cave in a drumlin.

Well, I know the drumlin cave is a lie, because my training geology means I know that a drumlin is nothing more than sand, silt, and gravel, and while part of a drumlin might wash away, a cave treasure room just won't work.

And, I've had a former secretary, who was a devout born again christian, demand that the Mormons show the Golden Plates "if it's true".

Meanwhile, christians bristle if we demand they show us the Ten Commandments, which were supposedly written on stone tablets, the tomb, or any other thing claimed by them.

And that is what, to me, makes the (as you put it) "rest of christian assertion [as] meaningless".
Pretty right. Nearly every vocal Christian I've run into is like that. Professional proselytizers have turned Christianity from a message of "Love thy neighbor" to "If thy neighbor believes differently from thee stone him to death".

Old 07-29-2018, 04:30 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Pretty right. Nearly every vocal Christian I've run into is like that. Professional proselytizers have turned Christianity from a message of "Love thy neighbor" to "If thy neighbor believes differently from thee stone him to death".
How does denigrating or mocking them change their behavior or understanding of Christ's Gospel of love? Encouraging them to focus on that message and not the judgmental nonsense in their dogma might soften their approach to others. But telling them that Jesus did not even exist invalidates the message of God's love and does nothing to stop their focus on judgment.

Old 07-29-2018, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
How does denigrating or mocking them change their behavior or understanding of Christ's Gospel of love? Encouraging them to focus on that message and not the judgmental nonsense in their dogma might soften their approach to others. But telling them that Jesus did not even exist invalidates the message of God's love and does nothing to stop their focus on judgment.
Mystic, I've never maintained without a doubt that Jesus was purely a myth. I've always said that it is possible he was a real apocalyptic preacher probably preaching sedition against Rome which is likely what got him crucified as a troublemaker. Far as the divine son of God born of a virgin, miracle worker who was resurrected stuff goes that is all obviously legend. Even the sole legitimate mention of him in history, "brother of Jesus who was called the Christ" of Josephus written almost 70 years after his death mentions no divinity or crucifixion or resurrection. None of us can know what his real message was since the gospels were written a hundred years after his death by people relying on hearsay of his exploits that had been circulating for well over a century. But to think that the writers of Gospel of John could actually get down verbatim 6 chapters or so of his actual speech to his apostles the night before he was crucified is beyond ludicrous. It can only be believed in by faith. Can you at least agree with that much?

Old 07-29-2018, 09:11 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,065,768 times
Quote:
Mystic, I've never maintained without a doubt that Jesus was purely a myth. I've always said that it is possible he was a real apocalyptic preacher probably preaching sedition against Rome which is likely what got him crucified as a troublemaker. Far as the divine son of God born of a virgin, miracle worker who was resurrected stuff goes that is all obviously legend. Even the sole legitimate mention of him in history, "brother of Jesus who was called the Christ" of Josephus written almost 70 years after his death mentions no divinity or crucifixion or resurrection. None of us can know what his real message was since the gospels were written a hundred years after his death by people relying on hearsay of his exploits that had been circulating for well over a century. But to think that the writers of Gospel of John could actually get down verbatim 6 chapters or so of his actual speech to his apostles the night before he was crucified is beyond ludicrous. It can only be believed in by faith. Can you at least agree with that much?
6 chapters is nothing.
The OT was passed down by oral tradition over campfires until it was finally written down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality