Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 06:59 PM

50,998 posts, read 24,497,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
Did you not say, we understand? You seem to speak for others as well as yourself.

I can only speak for myself. I can only tell you what is, and has always been.

God and I are old friends and that is the only explanation I have for you.

It is not a position.
Well, that was a waste of time.

Old 07-05-2018, 07:20 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,627,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Something must have driven it.

I never was faithful. I recall the bible readings in school and sitting through catechisms, and I always thought of them as not much different than the fairy tales my mother would read to me. I'm not being facetious, as I saw little difference between a talking snake and the big bad wolf talking to Little Red Riding Hood.

Of course the horrible parts of the bible were never brought up in school. The almost murder of Abraham's son, the beating of slaves, the murder of rape victims, and the genocides, none of that was discussed. I became aware of them later. It just convinced me that what was being written was just human beings justifying their traditional actions and wrapping it in a spiritual package. It still bothers me that this is the basis for the religious fervor that many exhibit.

I think if you step away from dogma, and let it go it might become easier.

The Bible has nothing to do with my faith, and I do not follow the dogma of men.

The tales of our childhood are simply tales.

God would never be so arrogant as to tell someone to kill their child, destroy with a flood, destroy towns, accept the rape of women, and support slavery. Those are the actions of men.

Old 07-05-2018, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Well, that was a waste of time.

You chose to engage. Own it. Nothing like speaking for others. We. We understand was your statement.

Sleep well.

Old 07-05-2018, 07:58 PM

Quote:
You chose to engage. Own it. Nothing like speaking for others. We. We understand was your statement.

Sleep well.
You certainly do dwell on one word.

Old 07-05-2018, 08:06 PM

Quote:
I think if you step away from dogma, and let it go it might become easier.

The Bible has nothing to do with my faith, and I do not follow the dogma of men.

The tales of our childhood are simply tales.

God would never be so arrogant as to tell someone to kill their child, destroy with a flood, destroy towns, accept the rape of women, and support slavery. Those are the actions of men.
I like the sound of all that...except for one thing...what do you base that on?

Old 07-05-2018, 08:21 PM

Quote:
You certainly do dwell on one word.

Your word, your statement.

Old 07-05-2018, 08:33 PM

Quote:
I like the sound of all that...except for one thing...what do you base that on?

You want a path? I guess you would have to step away from the men of the Bible to find it.

Your journey is unique, as is mine. They do not have to be the same.

Old 07-05-2018, 08:50 PM

Quote:
You want a path? I guess you would have to step away from the men of the Bible to find it.

Your journey is unique, as is mine. They do not have to be the same.
I do agree that each person's path needs to be somewhat unique. And as a Methodist, turned Catholic, turned Christian/Buddhist, turned Buddhist/atheist, I certainly agree that one must turn away from the men of the bible to find the path. I'm satisfied with the path I took, although I wish it had been shorter, and I wish I had had a map at the time.

Old 07-05-2018, 08:51 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,245,738 times
Quote:
I do agree that each person's path needs to be somewhat unique. And as a Methodist, turned Catholic, turned Christian/Buddhist, turned Buddhist/atheist, I certainly agree that one must turn away from the men of the bible to find the path. I'm satisfied with the path I took, although I wish it had been shorter, and I wish I had had a map at the time.
What?

And take all the fun out of the journey?!

Old 07-05-2018, 08:56 PM

88,733 posts, read 85,100,154 times
Quote:
Don't we all. It doesn't work that way, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality