Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2018, 10:21 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,957,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Basically, black people could not be fully Mormon until almost the 1980s.
There are many Mormons today who are "fully Mormon" but do not have temple recommends. Baptism and confirmation is what makes a person "fully Mormon."

Quote:
Black people were not allowed in the temples which means black people could not get married in the temple therefore their marriages were not recognized by the church. This meant that black men and their families would NEVER enter the Celestial Kingdom (Mormon Heaven)
The "Mormon Heaven" you're referring to is comprised of three degrees of glory, of which the Celestial Kingdom is only one. Even when Blacks were banned from receiving their temple endowment, the church's doctrine was that they would someday be permitted to. At any rate, I don't believe for one minute that God would ever keep someone out of the temple because of a policy that was made which should have never been made.

Quote:
Why do Mormons continue to LIE about this issue?
I'm not lying. How have I lied?

Old 09-16-2018, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Watch out because your Molly Mormon façade is starting to crack.
Me? Molly Mormon?

Quote:
You certainly are getting testy over my posts about Mormonism's racist doctrine.
I admitted it was racist, didn't I? I'm getting testy over you implying that I'm a liar.

Old 09-16-2018, 10:22 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,530,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoul View Post
You’re right Calipoppy.

Racism in current lds/Mormon scripture:
“And their curse was taken from them, and their skin became white like unto the Nephites” - 3 Nephi 2:15

“For behold, the Lord shall curse the land with much heat, and the barrenness thereof shall go forth forever; and there was a blackness came upon all the children of Canaan, that they were despised among all people.” - Moses 7:8

Supporting slavery:
“ We believe it just to preach the gospel to the nations of the earth, and warn the righteous to save themselves from the corruption of the world; but we do not believe it right to interfere with bond-servants, neither preach the gospel to, nor baptize them contrary to the will and wish of their masters, nor to meddle with or influence them in the least to cause them to be dissatisfied with their situations in this life, thereby jeopardizing the lives of men; such interference we believe to be unlawful and unjust, and dangerous to the peace of every government allowing human beings to be held in servitude.” - Doctrine & Covenants 134:12

Racism exists in the lds/Mormon church still - not only as doctrine but also in how many members regard others who have darker skin than they do. I’ve seen it many times, not in all members, but too many.
Thank you for being honest about this issue. One of my best friends is Mormon and he has talked about this issue (and many others) regarding race.

He admitted that they separate the wards by ethnic group standard (white)/Pacific Islander/Hispanic

Old 09-16-2018, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoul View Post
Racism exists in the lds/Mormon church still - not only as doctrine but also in how many members regard others who have darker skin than they do. I’ve seen it many times, not in all members, but too many.
Right. President Hinckley never came out against racism. If too many members are still racist, it's not because that's what we're being taught.

Old 09-16-2018, 10:25 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,562,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
There are many Mormons today who are "fully Mormon" but do not have temple recommends. Baptism and confirmation is what makes a person "fully Mormon."

The "Mormon Heaven" you're referring to is comprised of three degrees of glory, of which the Celestial Kingdom is only one. Even when Blacks were banned from receiving their temple endowment, the church's doctrine was that they would someday be permitted to. At any rate, I don't believe for one minute that God would ever keep someone out of the temple because of a policy that was made which should have never been made.

So Bringham Young was wrong. If he was wrong, the current Prophet can also be wrong. Who are we to believe?

Old 09-16-2018, 10:27 PM

Quote:

The "Mormon Heaven" you're referring to is comprised of three degrees of glory, of which the Celestial Kingdom is only one.
So,,,,,,,,,,,,no biggy?

Old 09-16-2018, 10:28 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,530,120 times
Quote:

Jesus Christ died on the cross for our sins so that we ALL can go to heaven (not JUST the "white and delightsome", the ones with a temple recommend or by marrying a man with the priesthood)

Old 09-16-2018, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
You're replying to an actual Mormon, lol. I don't know how I have been 'focused' on something I just learned about from him.
Yeah right. An actual Mormon who believes her church is a cult. I'll tell you one thing. Any woman who would raise her children in what she genuinely believes to be a cult for any reason is totally without a moral compass, has no backbone and zero self-esteem. Furthermore, she is acting irresponsibly as a parent. Cults are dangerous. Look at what happened to children raised in Jim Jones' Peoples Temple and David Koresh's Branch Davidian Church. Any mother who believes that she is in a cult and doesn't get out and get her children out should be ashamed and is not fit to be their mother.

Old 09-16-2018, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Jesus Christ died on the cross for our sins so that we ALL can go to heaven (not JUST the "white and delightsome", the ones with a temple recommend or by marrying a man with the priesthood)
Amen.

Quote:

I admitted it was racist, didn't I?
Along with a lot of equivocating about how it wasn't really that bad.

Old 09-16-2018, 10:30 PM

Quote:
That's right. He did, and Mormons are essentially universalists in their beliefs concerning the afterlife. I even believe you're going to go to Heaven. I bet you don't believe I am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality